RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #1

2013 Ford 6.8L V10 air filter and other generic ford question.

Having a hard time getting an air filter part number or even identifying which one I'll need. Tried a search on here and only found a post about how a K&N filter made for a Subaru will fit a 2013 F53 chassis. BTW, is my engine considered an E450 or F450, or neither. And what is an F53?. I know that is what I have, but can someone clear this up for me? I'm new to Ford.

2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
RDG

F-53 is the name of the Ford Stripped Chassis that you motorhome is built on. It is not an E450, that is a cut away chassis that class C units are built on. For your air filter, try www.Rockauto.com

Old 11-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #3

Just head down to your local Ford dealer, they will get the correct one for you.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford has an RV customer service dept. 800-444-3311

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #5

Thanks guys. I guess I could call the dealer, but I have gotten better responses here, and I definitely would not buy anything from a dealer.
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
Old 11-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad10th View Post
Thanks guys. I guess I could call the dealer, but I have gotten better responses here, and I definitely would not buy anything from a dealer.
Why not? Factory air filters are about $20. Seen plenty of Fram air filters cause damage to the MAF sensor because of their weak sealing surround.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:59 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah I kind of agree, why not buy the Ford air filter? At least you know it will be the correct one until the after market guys put out one. Besides what's $20 compared to $150K
Old 11-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I personally would go with the least restrictive white paper air filter you can find. Ford's & Fram's are restrictive. (Ford's looks like the Fram's). Ebay has many for our newer version F53 Ford chassis. RockAuto will too. Add a Cold Air Intake to get more power, better throttle response, and help MPG, especially in headwinds. Use a 4" drier hose and vent. Easy and less than $15.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I personally would go with the least restrictive white paper air filter you can find. Ford's & Fram's are restrictive. (Ford's looks like the Fram's). Ebay has many for our newer version F53 Ford chassis. RockAuto will too. Add a Cold Air Intake to get more power, better throttle response, and help MPG, especially in headwinds. Use a 4" drier hose and vent. Easy and less than $15.
The Ford filters are designed to flow the air flow for the advertised HP rating of the engine for the duration of the air filters life expectancy. A high flow air filter does NOT give better MPG on an electronic fuel injected vehicle. At highway cruise you are at part throttle and air flow into the intake is well below the max threshold. The PCM also adjust fuel tables to make sure the air/fuel ratio is exactly where it is programmed to be. There have also been numerous issues with aftermarket air filters causing MAF sampling issues causing a torque calculation error DTC with a check engine light. Ford had an SSM on this. Most common in the E-vans but seen on other vehicles also.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #10

Ordered the Ford motor craft one and I'll call it a day.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I personally would go with the least restrictive white paper air filter you can find. Ford's & Fram's are restrictive. (Ford's looks like the Fram's). Easy and less than $15.
A less restrictive filter will surely pass more air, but at the expense of less filtration unless it has a lot more filter area. This can be achieved by pleating the filter and packing (up to a point) more filter element in the area. This will make a more expensive filter, not less expensive.

Ford has designed the right balance of filtration and pressure drop into the filter for their engine. For the marginal savings in a filter element, why risk damaging an expensive engine and sensors.

Ken
Old 11-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #12

The Ford Motorcraft Filter is a known commodity. You are talking about an engine that is quite costly and has been known to run well over 150,000 miles in motorhome service without major repairs provided you use the right filters so the extra few $ for the Motorcraft filters which may be available at Walmart is well worth it.