Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #1

2014 E-450 Class C Coach

I have a few questions for the E-450 wizards. On the drivers "A" pillar there is a small switch labeled ON/OFF. I have no clue what it is for. The manual has no mention of it.

Under the hood is a second battery holding tray. What is the purpose of this and if it is intended for a second battery does it have its own charging system and cables?

The dual tires on the rear of the coach, are they provided by Ford as part of their basic chassis or are they put on by Coachmen specific to the design of their coach.

Thanks guys, so many questions and so little time to ask before our first trip.
ingram4868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Switch on the pillar is most likely to turn on heated mirrors. E450 comes from ford with duals. Don.t know about the second batt tray.
caisert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #3

The A pillar switch is likely an addon from the body builder. I have never seen a Ford product have a switch on an A pillar. As said above, the body builder may have added heated mirrors and that is what controls it. However you would think it would be labeled better. E series vans will have one battery under the hood and the second battery mounted on the right frame rail. The standard battery is mounted on the passenger side and I do not see how there would be any room on the drivers side for a battery. Maybe a pic will help to straighten that out.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #4

Thanks guys, I will take a couple of pictures later today.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:41 AM   #5

I have your exact same model. No switch...Must be a build to option. I don't remember seeing the second tray either for batteries. I will have to check again though but recall.

We really do enjoy our rig. Surprisingly ours had no Tint on the windows - lots of heat comes through during the summer. Solving that problem next week.

Other lessons learned...go get it "professionally" aligned - just do it. Well worth it.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
I have your exact same model. No switch...Must be a build to option. I don't remember seeing the second tray either for batteries. I will have to check again though but recall.

We really do enjoy our rig. Surprisingly ours had no Tint on the windows - lots of heat comes through during the summer. Solving that problem next week.

Other lessons learned...go get it "professionally" aligned - just do it. Well worth it.
Alignment? It sure rides smooth without any vibration in the steering wheel. Does Coachmen do something to impact the factory settings?

I still haven't been out to the storage facility to take pictures. I have been looking for a good light weight dinghy tow car.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:27 AM   #7

The way it was explained to me is that the factory alignment occurs while the chassis is built...then the rest of the coach is assembled PLUS all that weight. Mine drove straight but had issues with any kind of wind; or very uncomfortable / white knuckle experiences on smaller 2 lane roads. Well worth the 150-ish(don't remember the exact amount) expense.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingram4868 View Post
Alignment? It sure rides smooth without any vibration in the steering wheel. Does Coachmen do something to impact the factory settings?

I still haven't been out to the storage facility to take pictures. I have been looking for a good light weight dinghy tow car.
Especially on a vehicle independent front suspension a fully loaded vehicle alignment is really needed. In many cases the rear will sag some and change the camber and toe. For the best handling and tire wear you would want to load up your motorhome the way it is when you travel and have them align it.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #9

Great advise, the alignment is now on my list of things to do and goodies to buy to get the coach outfitted. I brought the MH home today so I can get the pic's of the switch and 2nd battery tray.

I bought a Goldline cover and took it out of the box today. You would think the cover would be in the carrying case but sadly no. And to my surprise there are no written instructions on the proper way to install it or a sequencing order to properly fold it so that it is easier to redeploy. I did buy the ladder lift devise so I don't have to lug the 45 pounds up the ladder.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #10

There is only one battery tray under the E-450 hood. As you guys mentioned there is no possible way to fit anything else under that hood. I confused the E-450 with our new Suburban which does have a second battery tray.

I have ordered equipment through Camping World for the dinghy tow setup. Once it all arrives they will schedule the install. I really didn't have the time to research the tow equipment ahead of time so I left it to the pros to recommend and install what they felt was the best stuff. They did mention something about a Falcon 2 and an invisible braking system that does not need to be setup or removed for trips.

The Camco sewer hose that came in the startup kit looks to be maybe 12-15 feet if stretched. Do you guys feel that is enough length for most campgrounds or dump stations?

Thanks to all that have taken the time to help educate me with our first RV.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingram4868 View Post

The Camco sewer hose that came in the startup kit looks to be maybe 12-15 feet if stretched. Do you guys feel that is enough length for most campgrounds or dump stations?

Thanks to all that have taken the time to help educate me with our first RV.
Always carry a spare plus a union for that matter. You never know when you may spring a leak.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #12

A second setup sounds like a great idea and they aren't that expensive.

Tags
class c