Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2019, 05:23 AM   #1

2016 Coachman Pursuit 33’ BH

I’m looking to purchase a 33’ Pursuit on an F53 chassis. With a GVWR of 18k it has a tow rating of 5k.

It seems the F53 chassis is more than capable to tow more than 5k. The limiting factor on many of these motorhomes is the class lll hitch.
With an upgraded hitch and transmission Collier I really don’t see why this vehicle couldn’t tow 6500 lbs provided the frame hasn’t been lengthened with inferior metal.

Thoughts?
Devenhallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2019, 05:31 AM   #2

Not sure what you are towing and where. We haul a 4500 lb car with a 22,000 lb chassis and 36 ft house. No problems pulling power or cooling BUT when the wind blows and the tail of the house starts moving I really have to drive it . We operated for a few years not towing and there is a noticeable difference. Just my experience.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:55 AM   #3

Your average boat and trailer is over 5k lbs.

Yamaha jet boat and trailer is around 6100 lbs
Old 05-08-2019, 07:21 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Have seen many a diesel truck pulling a 5th wheel/travel trailer pulling a bass boat.
Scares the heck out of me so I wouldn't do it. Maybe it's legal and safe just not sure. It only has to fail once. When we pulled a TT I felt safer pulling 80% of the max and no more.

There's plenty of folks with a lot more experience who will weigh in on this I'm sure.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:28 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devenhallen View Post
I’m looking to purchase a 33’ Pursuit on an F53 chassis. With a GVWR of 18k it has a tow rating of 5k.

It seems the F53 chassis is more than capable to tow more than 5k. The limiting factor on many of these motorhomes is the class lll hitch.
With an upgraded hitch and transmission Collier I really don’t see why this vehicle couldn’t tow 6500 lbs provided the frame hasn’t been lengthened with inferior metal.

Thoughts?
Check your GCWR...it will put you at a towing capacity much less than the hitch/receiver rating. Not saying the rig wouldn't pull it, but you CAN damage the frame and driveline components if you exceed this capacity. You need to take total GVWR and subtract the GCWR (connected weight rating), the delta is the max legal towing capacity.
Even if the rig might actually pull it, if you ever get into an accident and found to be towing in excess of this rating, get ready with deep pockets when the lawsuits start flying!!
2014 Jeep GC diesel - 2024 Renegade Verona 36VSB
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymyst View Post
Check your GCWR...it will put you at a towing capacity much less than the hitch/receiver rating. Not saying the rig wouldn't pull it, but you CAN damage the frame and driveline components if you exceed this capacity. You need to take total GVWR and subtract the GCWR (connected weight rating), the delta is the max legal towing capacity.
Even if the rig might actually pull it, if you ever get into an accident and found to be towing in excess of this rating, get ready with deep pockets when the lawsuits start flying!!
No, it won’t.

The F53 chassis changes max towing with a rear end gear change which does nothing to strengthen components but put you back at an optimum rpm range. The hitch is the limiting factor with everything I can find.

No, towing above max rating doesn’t hurt your pocket 🤦🏻*♂️ That’s what insurance is for. The myths and BS people spew.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
The information on these forums are sometimes great and sometimes personal opinions. You are correct that the towing capacity is usually limited to the hitch itself. Back in the ninties we uprated the hitches with metal gussets that were welded to the hitch corners. No, we didn't endanger the whole driving world. The parts were supplied by the hitch manufacturers and designed by their engineers. The only other limiting factors were the added on frame and the Gross combined weight rating. The frame extension could easily be beefed up but the GCWR would be super expensive to change. I think you will be OK on the GCWR. It is is pretty high on the F53.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devenhallen View Post

Thoughts?
It depends on what you're towing. If it's a trailer you're going to be way overweight on the hitch weight. To me that's a bigger concern than the excess towed weight.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2014 31BDP Coachmen Pursuit. On the same 18,000 lb chassis. Check closely at the rear of the chassis frame rails. On ours the rails were lengthened by around 18" by welding on the extensions. They then added two small plates approximately 3" x 10" long to the inside of the rails to add some strength. These pieces were also welded on.

If the pieces added are done right this would not be a problem. I personally don't like the way the welds or added plates look. Would not even think of going to a higher rated hitch.
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #10

yes, look closely at hitch capacity and frame extension. Frame extensions are sometimes the weak link
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:55 PM   #11

Yeah, OP, I think your weak links are the hitch and the rear end gearing. If you handle both of those you are effectively towing with a higher capacity motor home (yes, I'm flinching awaiting flames from the weight police). Anyone care to speculate what the next weak link would be?
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote