Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2016 F53 26K lbs 5 speed trans. overflow or what?

Today while crawling around under my rig I noticed oily residue on top of the transmission. Nothing too significant, but probably about 1/4 cup was there spread over the top of the transmission.

It was not fresh and had obviously been there for quite while. I assumed it was transmission fluid as there was no evidence of any leakage from around the engine. It appeared to emanate from a small rubber like 1/4 inch pipe- about 2 1/2 inches tall- that was atop the transmission with some sort of cap on the device . I noticed no seals in the vicinity of this area on top of the transmission-- only the pipe like structure at the top. It was evident that nothing recently had been deposited at this site.

I then checked the transmission fluid level. It was at the bottom of the safe zone after running the temp up to operating levels and putting the rig in gear. I added about 2 cups and raised the level into the safe zone on the dipstick.

Any ideas what this small vertical pipe that sticks up is and why a deposit of what I suspect is transmission fluid from some sort of overflow device? Is this abnormal? I have about 27,000 miles on the chassis.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #2

Not normal, for sure. While it's in warranty, I would take it to Ford.

Could be something as simple as an oil spill from an oil change, stuff blows off the engine back to the tranny.

You want to get that addressed now so you have enough time before the warranty is up to be sure there is no remaining leak.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
You don’t deserve any more problems with your coach for the rest of your life. I hope it is just something normal, fingers crossed for you.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #4

Do you have transmission temperature monitor? Oil there is from overflow vent. Oil expanding when hot.
jfoldesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I suspected it was overflow but not sure.

Temp on gauge always seems to run in the middle in normal range-- even when I ran it the hardest in the western mountains last summer. The stain is old not fresh, the fluid looks fresh not burned.

Definitely not motor oil from engine
Old 01-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #6

There is no overflow on the transmission. That part is a vent, not an overflow. Oil should not come out of the vent. If it does, the cause is almost always an overfilled transmission.

Maybe I'm reading into this, but it looks to me like you checked the fluid level with the engine running and the trans in gear. This will give a false low reading. Always check it warmed up with the engine idling and the transmission in park or neutral.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Correct way to check trans level on a Ford is to fully warm up the trans, on a MH cover the radiator and trans cooler, keep checking the return line from the external trans cooler with a IR gun, when trans oil gets to 195F check fipstick in park, fluid must be BELOW the full mark, preferably to the top 3/4 of the crosshatch on the dipstick, mercon 4 expands a lot.
I am a retired field service engineer for Ford
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
BELOW the full mark, preferably to the top 3/4 of the crosshatch on the dipstick, mercon 4 expands a lot.
I am a retired field service engineer for Ford
I am a retired Ford automatic transmission engineer. I've never heard of MERCON 4. Was that a typo? The five speed TorqShift used MERCON SP, but MERCON LV is also acceptable.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A bit more on the specifics

Thanks for the follow up. I'll try to clarify here a bit as the OP.

I was just looking around under the chassis and observed old oily substance on the top of the transmission and the small vertical pipe, which you advise is a vent. It is not a fresh oily stain and has clearly been there for quite a while as it was gritty and relatively dry.

I have checked the transmission fluid as part of my routine maintenance but its been several months since I have done so. I always observed the transmission fluid (while hot) to be in the hatched zone until yesterday.

I have 27000 miles on the 2016 chassis and have never added any transmission fluid until yesterday ,when, after observing the substance on top of the transmission I thought I ought to check the fluid level.Engine is always in park. (I have either run several miles or cycled from neutral to drive then back to park once a few minutes before checking-- but always in park when checking)

I ran the engine for about 1/2 hour and observed the temp gauge in the mid zone where it always is when normally operating. The gauge does not give a numeric read out.

When I checked the dipstick, the reading was at the bottom of the hatched area. I added about 2 cups of the required Mercon LV which brought the level up to about 1/3 up the hatched zone on the dipstick.

I viewed the top of the transmission again today after a 2 hour run and didn't see any fresh oil or fluid at the location.

I haven't seen any reading on the dipstick when checked hot that would indicate it was overfilled- its always been in the hatched area when hot (until yesterday when it seemed low).

Its a head scratcher for me.

Your follow-up on this is much appreciated, Its helpful and educational.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
I am a retired Ford automatic transmission engineer. I've never heard of MERCON 4. Was that a typo? The five speed TorqShift used MERCON SP, but MERCON LV is also acceptable.
You are 100% correct on the typo its MERCON LV is the one that expands, reason we had all the trouble with the F35 Trans on flat tow, well one of the reasons anyway lol.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
More findings

I pulled to doghouse cover to get a better look at the area in question.

There was no pooled fluid around the vent. It appears as it it sprayed out maybe some time ago. The amount looked like it would have been between a tablespoon and 1/4 cup. No fluid had pooled among the ridged housing rectangles of the top of the transmission which made it appear as a spray, but the area with a thin layer of old fluid covered about a square foot around the vent.

To better watch the area I wiped all clean so I could see if anything new was occurring. I'll check back later after my next run.

The vent is much like a rubber valve stem on a tire.

Is the vent just pushed into the top of the transmission or is it screwed into a thread?

It seemed loose and it turned easily. The top cap on the vent was very loose also which seems to make sense as a vent-----?????

Thanks.

Joe
Old 01-31-2018, 10:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
MERCON LV is the one that expands, reason we had all the trouble with the F35 Trans on flat tow, well one of the reasons anyway lol.
Hum....interesting. Please expand on this "all the trouble with the F35 Trans on flat tow". BTW...Is this another typo? Did you mean F53?

So...what is this "trouble on flat tow" you speak of. Please explain. I want to learn.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No the f35 trans was on the escape was originally going to be able to flat tow behind rv, too many issues with overheating fluid if at the full mark, lots of tsb's out there then finally ford said no flat tow on escape 5speeds.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mercon lv expands with temp,check oil level after a short (heavy) drive to get trans oil temp to at least 197f, then a adjust level to be BELOW the full mark while still in the cross hatch area, and you will be good to go.

Tags
f53