Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 01:13 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2016 F53 Parking brake issue

The parking brake on my 2016 26 K lb F-53 is at the rear of the drive shaft. I am beginning to see some fluid stain around the rear of the drum- enough that it appears at some time even splashed onto the front of the diff. -- but it's not visually dripping constantly

I can not find any info on how to check the fluid level and the spec for the fluid.

I saw some pics of older set ups when the brake was at the front of the shaft adjacent to the transmission but not this set up.

The leakage seems to be in the vicinity of where the cable emanates from the assembly.

Help?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Is the parking brake cable/lever operated or hydraulic? Since it's still under warranty, I'd take it to a Ford shop and get their opinion. Please report back their findings.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #3

What you may be seeing is differential fluid leaking from the pinion seal, behind the brake.

The diff level is checked by removing a plug, about half way up the rear cover or side of the housing, and feeling if the level is right at the point of dripping out.

You should contact Ford about it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Twin boat. Its not the diff. I had already checked the fluid and it was slap full. I did notice the plug on the bottom of the diff as a wee bit loose but I snugged it up. The fluid stain I am seeing is about 1 ft forward on the brake drum itself and around the cable entry.

I do not know if its hydraulic or lever and can not find any specs or drawings on the 2016 version that moved back from the transmission to the differential on the F53. Trying to avoid a Ford visit the nearest Ford truck service centers are forever away and the wait in line is let's say impressive. If it's something easy or minor I'd like it deal with it myself rather than paying a fortune in gas and mileage to get to a Ford place and just leave it there on the lot forever. The shop I deal with says they wait forever for parts from Ford .
Old 12-09-2016, 06:18 PM   #5

I have a 2016 F53 26K chassis with the emergency brake at the differential. It looks like the brake is cable operated, not hydraulic. I have some fluid on the bottom of my differential center section too, but it is clearly not coming from either the brake or the pinion seal. May be the drain plug on the bottom of the differential is a bit loose, I will check that. It also does not look like a leak from where the pinion assy is bolted into the center section of the rear axle. I plan to clean it up good and continue to monitor it to try and determine the source.
OakHillFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:13 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakHillFarm View Post
I have a 2016 F53 26K chassis with the emergency brake at the differential. It looks like the brake is cable operated, not hydraulic. I have some fluid on the bottom of my differential center section too, but it is clearly not coming from either the brake or the pinion seal. May be the drain plug on the bottom of the differential is a bit loose, I will check that. It also does not look like a leak from where the pinion assy is bolted into the center section of the rear axle. I plan to clean it up good and continue to monitor it to try and determine the source.
Your finding sounds identical to mine. In addition to something going on with the brake, I did find the bottom plug on the diff loose on mine and it was leaking. Its was not much as when I checked the level the fluid was still running out at the check plug level.

I just can not find any info about the brake set up and fluid level or type for it.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:05 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
If either RV was mine, being a new one under warranty, I'd carefully clean the 'leak' area and watch to see if more fluid shows up. Perhaps what you're seeing was an enthusiastic servicing of the cable or brake mechanism. Cleaning and watching would show if it's leaking or evidence of servicing.

Also, since I'm retired, I'd go to the Ford dealer and camp in their parking lot until they dealt with the issue.

For the 2016 F53, it's cable operated. The brake is functioning if on level ground, it holds the RV from moving when engine at idle is put into Drive.

Park Brake - Wheel-end mounted for 16,000 and 18,000 GVWR models

Park BrakeDifferential mounted for 20,500, 22, 000, 24,000 and 26,000 GVWR models

Bob & Donna
Old 12-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #8

Cleaned up the center section today. The drain plug on the bottom of the differential was a little loose, not sure it that is what the leak is, or not. Will watch and see what develops. As was stated earlier, if it comes back I will go back to the Ford Truck Center for (warranty) repair.
OakHillFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #9
mre

At about 4K, I noticed that the holding capability of tour coach's parking brake started to deteriorate. I was traveling at the time and made an appointment several weeks out. Sometime between the before the appointment, I noticed there was oil dripping from the drum area closest to the differential. It turned out to be a bad seal. By the time the seal was replaced, the parking brake had lost all holding power. It turned out the brake shoes were soaked with oil. The seal and shoes were replaced. I have 12K on it now and no signs of problems.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:17 AM   #10

So on the new model F53 chassis, the drive shaft parking brake is mounted at the rear diff, not on the tail shaft of the transmission housing ??.
Neil
Old 12-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
So on the new model F53 chassis, the drive shaft parking brake is mounted at the rear diff, not on the tail shaft of the transmission housing ??.
Neil
Correct, see post #7 to see that different F53 chassis sizes have it in different locations.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-13-2016, 05:31 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
At about 4K, I noticed that the holding capability of tour coach's parking brake started to deteriorate. I was traveling at the time and made an appointment several weeks out. Sometime between the before the appointment, I noticed there was oil dripping from the drum area closest to the differential. It turned out to be a bad seal. By the time the seal was replaced, the parking brake had lost all holding power. It turned out the brake shoes were soaked with oil. The seal and shoes were replaced. I have 12K on it now and no signs of problems.
Ed:
It appears from what you share here that yours was visibly flowing or significantly dripping? Mine looks at the most just slightly damp around the outer edge of the drum- which probably still is too much.

I'm a bit confused, was the replaced seal the front of the differential where the shaft goes into the diff? Or was it some fluid associated with the parking brake assembly itself? Thanks for the info.

All the best:
Joe
Old 12-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #13
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
Ed:
It appears from what you share here that yours was visibly flowing or significantly dripping? Mine looks at the most just slightly damp around the outer edge of the drum- which probably still is too much.

I'm a bit confused, was the replaced seal the front of the differential where the shaft goes into the diff? Or was it some fluid associated with the parking brake assembly itself? Thanks for the info.

All the best:
Joe
From what I understand, the leaking was not that significant, but just enough to dampen the brake shoes in the emergency brake to cause them not to hold. I was told that there was very little brake fluid loss and that I could have operated many more miles without damaging he differential.

My understanding is that differential seal that was leaking was where the shaft goes into the diff. Also, I believe that the emergency brake system is mechanical and has requires no brake fluid to operate.

ed
Old 12-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
From what I understand, the leaking was not that significant, but just enough to dampen the brake shoes in the emergency brake to cause them not to hold. I was told that there was very little brake fluid loss and that I could have operated many more miles without damaging he differential.

My understanding is that differential seal that was leaking was where the shaft goes into the diff. Also, I believe that the emergency brake system is mechanical and has requires no brake fluid to operate.

ed
Ed- Just out of curiosity how long did the fix take at the shop. Thanks for all
Joe

Tags
brake, f53