RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2017, 09:47 PM   #1

2017 F53 Differential bolt torque

I am installing a Super-Steer TrackBar on my rig and was hoping someone might know the torque specs for the differential bolts? Anyone know it off the top of your head? Thanks.

2017 3113 NewMar BayStar, Safe-T-Plus, RoadMaster SB, SuperSteer TB, Koni FSD shocks, CHF Rear, Sumo Springs, Centramatics, EEZ TPMS, King TailGater, LED Headlight kit, EMS-PT50X, Adjustable arm-rests, MagnaShade, 2017 Cherokee TrailHawk Toad...
And Tucker -
sedaliaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedaliaterry View Post
I am installing a Super-Steer TrackBar on my rig and was hoping someone might know the torque specs for the differential bolts? Anyone know it off the top of your head? Thanks.
If you are replacing existing bolts with ones supplied with the trac bar manufacturer, they should tell you the proper torque. This is what Henderson did with the trac bar I bought and installed from them.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've looked on three different Technicians CD's from Ford. The differential cover bolts are all torqued to 45 FT/Lbs. It should not matter if a company has included longer bolts or not. The torque will be the same.

When torquing bolts into a housing the steel threads in the housing have to be considered as well as the grade and size of the bolts being used. We consider that when buying nuts for bolts. It does not stand to reason that a company would provide different grade bolts to attach their particular device to the same housing without taking into consideration the housing itself. If they did not provide different grade bolts then 45 ft/'lbs will work.

In addition to that I installed my DIY rear TB to the housing and based on the DIY plate that was made got 1/2" longer bolts. They are torqued to 45 ft lbs but I also used lock tight for added insurance. We've got 20,000 miles on it and all is well.

The DIY TB design has been used by at least 40 folks and nobody has reported that their TB has come loose. I did report on the DIY thread that I had a bolt come loose. That was before I used the lock tight.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the info TeJay. In my searches for this information through some of the threads I have run across some of your posts on TB DIY, as well as some others. One thread suggested 110# of torque which seemed a lot due to the housing threads. 45# seems a little more realistic.

I just received the SS TB yesterday but have not unpacked it or the instructions yet. On the schedule for tomorrow.
2017 3113 NewMar BayStar, Safe-T-Plus, RoadMaster SB, SuperSteer TB, Koni FSD shocks, CHF Rear, Sumo Springs, Centramatics, EEZ TPMS, King TailGater, LED Headlight kit, EMS-PT50X, Adjustable arm-rests, MagnaShade, 2017 Cherokee TrailHawk Toad...
And Tucker -
Old 07-02-2017, 08:14 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just to reassure you a bit more I have the Ford Technician's Service CD's from model years 2009, 2014, 2015 and 2016. They all specify 45#'a of torque.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:07 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to JIMBO34PA Send a message via Yahoo to JIMBO34PA
24k/26k rear axle?

i installed a Blue Ox rear track bar on my 2016 24k chassis. the Ford workshop manual says 250 ft lbs for differential assembly capscrews.and I believe based on the size of the bolts it's correct. Yes it says 45 ft lbs for a Dana 80 which is lower chassis ratings .
Old 07-02-2017, 11:49 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Ford CD's show three different differentials used for the F-53 chassis. I'm sure if I searched harder I could find exactly which is used in the different weighted chassis but it's already almost midnight.

This much I am sure of. The only specifications listed for the differentials that have a differential cover plate is the Dana 80. That's what our 2014 18,000 lb chassis uses, the Dana 80. It is used on the lighter chassis. The heavier chassis use a different differential which does not have a cover plate.

All the Dana 80 cover plates require only 45#'s of torque.

The OP did not list enough information to determine what differential he has. If it's the heavier DF then there should be information about the torque in the install instructions.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #8

Actually just got done with the install, and yes the instructions did list the torque specs. In my case, I have a 22k chassis (which as I read the chassis book says I have the Dana S130), I had to use the metric (large bolt) differential bracket, and the torque ended up being 150ft lbs. I definitely put Loctite on. (Torque specs pic attached).

Thanks for all the research, I would not have guessed the specs can vary so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Torque_SS_TB.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	167413  
And Tucker -
Old 07-03-2017, 04:57 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedaliaterry View Post
Actually just got done with the install, and yes the instructions did list the torque specs. In my case, I have a 22k chassis (which as I read the chassis book says I have the Dana S130), I had to use the metric (large bolt) differential bracket, and the torque ended up being 150ft lbs. I definitely put Loctite on. (Torque specs pic attached).

Thanks for all the research, I would not have guessed the specs can vary so much.
I don't recall exactly what the bolts on my differential were but I do recall they were very tight (I would guess over 100lbs) from the factory and the spec for the new ones was north of 100lbs for sure.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
sedaliaterry,

The reason for the large differences in torque is at least two fold. First the bolt sizes and how much clamping forces are needed to keep parts together. A bolt has to be stretched some and that's based on it tinsel strength or bolt grade like grade 5 or 8. In the case of metric it's usually listed as a number like 10.9.

In the case of the Dana 80 differential (DF) we are only talking about small bolts to hold the cover plate on the DF. Your DF is a lot bigger and the way it is built there is no cover plate but there is an assembly using larger stronger bolts that need to be torqued more than a simple cover plate.

That's the primary reason we rely on specifications listed in service manuals so we can get this stuff correct.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #11

Thanks again TeJay for the insight. When I looked up the model of Dana rear end I had in the Ford chassis specs, all that were listed were different in torque specs. It is friggin mind boggling as to who figures this stuff out...
And Tucker -
Old 07-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #12

SuperSteer TrackBar Install 2017 F53 22k Chassis

Snapped a couple pics for reference to complete the install. While the instructions from SuperSteer were fine to follow, a few more pics cannot hurt. Hope this helps others doing the install.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS_TracBar1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	167497   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS_TracBar2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	167498  

And Tucker -
Old 07-04-2017, 11:06 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have available to us to buy: Steer Safe,(which we have and it's on the front) Safety Steer, Center steer and they are all on the front and designed to control play in the front steering system. Now we have Super Steer.

So a Super Steer is actually a rear track bar TB. I didn't know that and now I do!!!

Now I'm less confused than I was before. At least I think I am.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #14

TeJay.

I think they may re-sell someone else TB (but not sure). For a front TB, the re-sell the Davis TruTrac. They sell Safe-T-Plus as well as RoadMaster as well as Koni (lots of re-sell stuff). Some items they have their own name on though.

F53 22k Chassis LINK

Terry

And Tucker -

Tags
f53