RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2019, 02:00 AM   #1

2018 F53 Wheel Bearings

Does anyone know if the Ford F53 has sealed or unsealed bearings. Per the manual, you are suppose to "Replace front wheel bearing grease and grease seals if non-sealed bearings are used" every 30k miles. I don't know if our bearings are sealed or not. If you look at the Ford specs it only says "Tapered Roller".

whciv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2019, 04:20 AM   #2

They are not sealed bearings.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #3

I bet with 30K service on the front wheel bearing, their are probably a lot of MHs overdue for service. We have pulled a TT for more mileage than that, and when I serviced them, they still had grease and was not discolored, or gritty. I may have done more damage by cleaning and greasing them, than if I had just left them.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #4

We had a brand new Thor ACE 29.2 and the first week I took it back to the dealer for other due bill stuff and told them it sounded like the front right wheel bearing was squeaking and asked them to check it. When I picked it up and asked if they checked it they said they did and it was fine.
It stopped making noise, but a few months later I jacked the front wheels off of the ground just to do a safety check before our next long trip and was shocked when I had literally +/- 3" of side wobible in the wheel! The outer bearing was gone (ground up) and the only thing keeping the wheel on was the brake caliper! The F53 chassis rides so rough and the engine is so noisy I did not hear or feel anything amiss. Took 3 months to get it fixed because no one had factory parts (hub, spindle, king pin, etc.) in stock (it was less than a year old and still under warranty so had to be repaired with factory parts, down to the nuts and bolts...).
Moral of the story, always personnally check (or watch the tech do it) your bearings, even if its a brand new coach.
HaRVey 74.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey 74.5 View Post
We had a brand new Thor ACE 29.2 and the first week I took it back to the dealer for other due bill stuff and told them it sounded like the front right wheel bearing was squeaking and asked them to check it. When I picked it up and asked if they checked it they said they did and it was fine.
It stopped making noise, but a few months later I jacked the front wheels off of the ground just to do a safety check before our next long trip and was shocked when I had literally +/- 3" of side wobible in the wheel! The outer bearing was gone (ground up) and the only thing keeping the wheel on was the brake caliper! The F53 chassis rides so rough and the engine is so noisy I did not hear or feel anything amiss. Took 3 months to get it fixed because no one had factory parts (hub, spindle, king pin, etc.) in stock (it was less than a year old and still under warranty so had to be repaired with factory parts, down to the nuts and bolts...).
Moral of the story, always personnally check (or watch the tech do it) your bearings, even if its a brand new coach.
Your year F53 had a rash of failed front wheel bearings. Some kind of factory error.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #6

The 30,000 mile service is only for slow, local, delivery or livery truck use.

For normal service use, 60,000 miles is recommended.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:41 PM   #7
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by whciv View Post
I don't know if our bearings are sealed or not. If you look at the Ford specs it only says "Tapered Roller".
Tapered yes, sealed no. I looked into this question also quite awhile ago. We are FTer's, 2nd owners, coach has 24K on it, 6 years old and I'll probably repacking those puppies probably around the end of 2021 or so, if not for miles...for length of time. Well see.....

BTW...what kinda of rig of you have?

You really should do yourself (and us) a favor by putting—detailed information—of your rig by creating a signature. That way you won't have to type this information each time in all your future posts and people won't have to ask "What Model of coach do you have". Look at some other posters signatures if you need some examples.
You create a signature by:
1) Go to the top of this page and click the top left tab named “User CP”
2) Look at the menu on the left and scroll down to “Settings & Options” and click “Edit Signature”
3) In that text box type all the information about your MH, Year, model, length, mileage, any aftermarket extras installed, your toad and so on. You’ll be limited to 3 lines unless you become a IRV2 supporter.

TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:30 PM   #8

Sorry about not having my coach info. We have a 2019 Tiffin Open Road 36LA. The chassis is a 2018 Ford F53. When we picked up the coach we had a leaky power steering hose on our maiden voyage home. I had Ford fix that here in town. We are just trying to plan our future maintenance schedule. I have now seen that Ford recommends the bearings to be greased at 60,000 miles with normal use. That is probably what we will do. We do plan to follow our scheduled maintenance religiously. We also know there are some things that are left until there is an issue. Some of my worst issues on my cars only came after a mechanic took pieces apart.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:02 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The 30,000 mile service is only for slow, local, delivery or livery truck use.

For normal service use, 60,000 miles is recommended.
I called the Ford truck/RV hotline yesterday and the mechanic told me 30,000 miles for the front wheel bearings because being a motorhome it is near weight capacity all the time especially when towing anything behind. Also had some bad news for me on the tranny and power steering fluid due at 30,000 miles. And the coolant is not 10 yrs either but 6 years and then every 3 thereafter. He told me to smell and feel the differential fluid every few oil changes and probably change at 50k.

He did give me a break on the two year brake fluid change and said three years should be ok for normal RV driving, this thread is what caused me to check on all of this stuff, glad I did.

He did say to follow the schedule 2 specifically even though I told him almost all of our driving was 50+ MPH. Yes, Iíll bet many motorhomes do not follow this schedule and seem to be ok, but being a fanatic on such stuff and since this is our ďforeverĒ mh I will follow it. Ugh, oh well, itís only money......
Old 03-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
I called the Ford truck/RV hotline yesterday and the mechanic told me 30,000 miles for the front wheel bearings because being a motorhome it is near weight capacity all the time especially when towing anything behind. Also had some bad news for me on the tranny and power steering fluid due at 30,000 miles. And the coolant is not 10 yrs either but 6 years and then every 3 thereafter. He told me to smell and feel the differential fluid every few oil changes and probably change at 50k.

He did give me a break on the two year brake fluid change and said three years should be ok for normal RV driving, this thread is what caused me to check on all of this stuff, glad I did.

He did say to follow the schedule 2 specifically even though I told him almost all of our driving was 50+ MPH. Yes, Iíll bet many motorhomes do not follow this schedule and seem to be ok, but being a fanatic on such stuff and since this is our ďforeverĒ mh I will follow it. Ugh, oh well, itís only money......
I need to take another look at my maintenance schedule, I had none of that done... now at 57000, going into Ford dealer for 60000 service next week
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #11

Follow the extreme use guide, except for the most important part, the brakes ?

Not sure how towing effect the front wheel bearings, unless your towing heavy with a equalizer hitch.

If it works for you, Its all good.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:07 PM   #12

It seems crazy to me that they publish a maintenance schedule that we all follow, but when you call they cut intervals almost in half. I would also think a motorhome F53 would be considered "normal wear". Just watch delivery trucks. They start and stop every 20 feet (like UPS and FedEx).

I will probably stay with the normal use maintenance guidelines, but also keep a close eye on everything. I sometimes feel mechanics are overly conservative mainly to boost maintenance revenue. If my normal car mechanic had his way he would have me change my oil each week... he makes money when I do.

Tags
f53