Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 10:33 PM   #1

235/80/22.5 Michelin XRV, Toyo, or Bridgestone Ecopia

Did a search on this forum and didn't find much info. As you are all aware, Michelin is the only one that makes the 235/80/22.5's and of course I can't find any in stock in a 60 mile radius. One tire shop could take my order for Michelin's and not sure when they'd come in but price would be $550 a piece which includes mounting, spin balance, and disposal of the old tire. But they have in stock 245/75/22.5 Bridgestone Ecopia R268 at $425ea. Don't know much about the Bridgestone's but doing a google search one dealer indicated they are a good tire for high scrub environments (ie; delivery trucks) which makes me think they probably have a stiffer side wall which would probably equate to a rougher ride. Anyone have experience with Bridgestone and the Ecopia tires?

Another option is to order Toyo M154 245/75r/22.5 from Simple Tire.com for $285ea ($1710.30 total) which includes shipping. Of course I'd have to pay for the mounting, balancing, and disposal which I assume(??) would be another $300-$500?. Any experiences with the Toyo tire?
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 11:06 PM   #2

I'm on a Worhorse chassis, but my reply re tires may be relevant for you............

I just kicked my 10 year old XRVs (235s) to the curb and replaced them with the R268s. My choice was based on the tire store I like to deal with (ex: I said I wanted to supervise/"help" with the tire swap, and they said, "no problem!)

Anyway, they sold Bridgestone, so that was that. I did not price the Michelins. I paid right at $400 per, but of course charges for "Bud" wheels (WTH?), plus charges for some other excess noise, and welcome to 8.2% sales tax....... I was just over $3K. But as I said, been there before, and they do a fair bit of both passenger car and around back they got a nice truck facility.

On to the meaningful bits. I am on the road currently, and the first 700 mi or so was over routes we had many a trip on, so I feel for me and my W22, Konis, homemade track bars, my usual load out, etc., I can give my thoughts on the relative differences. For me.

We both found them quiet. Ride is similar. I want to say a bit more "thump" over things you don't necessarily feel, but hear say on pavement patches or transitions. Best way I can put is that to me they had a deeper sounding whump. Wasn't relevant, but thought I'd mention it. The wife is completely won over as far as road noise on good pavement - that is, the lack thereof. They are quiet.

Ahhhh, now handling..... Good road = good drive. I80 from Wells to Tahoe running right at 68~70 was a non-event. But! I personally think I gave up some handling precision. So hard to describe because it means something different to every coach and ever driver. The way I would put it is it seemed like I had a new steering joint made out of jello. And let's not take that to an extreme (I am still here, typing this, after all). Maybe it's the new deep tread squirm? What I know is that after I made my track bars about 6 or 8 years ago, I had no trepidation about putting the front tires anywhere I wanted to. Good confidence and winding 2 lanes beckoned. Now, today I just ran the ribbon of hell, er, I mean, highway 89 from i80 to south Tahoe via the west bank. If you haven't done that - well, 10 mph curves and silly ass grade changes and undulations abound, plus more construction than oughta be allowed, ever. I did have to adapt and kind of lead the coach more than I thought I used to. ALSO - in areas of the interstate that weren't so new, the thing wanted to climb the groove. Grrrr.......

I'm hoping after I get the shoulders knocked off some that will improve. Or, caveat, that section was perhaps bad enough the XRVs would've done it too, so please take with that possibility.

In summary, quiet, smooth, good roads are awesome, precision steering feel maybe not as much as I hoped (boy, do I chuckle writing that in an RV forum!), and the bumpy ride characteristics was, to us, about a draw with the Michelins. I found nothing in the last 900 miles over the past week to make me regret it, but at the sme time I'm not shouting B-Stone from the rooftops, either.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
RV LIFE Support Team

We had put Toyo's on our MDT(22.5) based on the recommendation of the tire dealer. Found that they road very nice, seemed softer. Enough for us to notice. Very happy with the Toyo.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful. Just makes me wonder why the Toyo's can be half the price of the Michelin's ... is the price an indicator of quality. I would kind of like to go a little larger tire as the 245/75s are just a little smaller than the 235/80's which will put my speedometer off .5 at 60mph ... however my speedo is already off 2 at 60mph so now will be 2.5. Not a big deal, but rim size and spacing between the duals probably won't allow me to go to a taller tire (I have room in the wheel wells for taller tire).
Old 07-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #5

With the 'stones, my speedo matches my GPS matched those highway speed cams that tell you to slow down for the curves because you are going xyz mph.

I'd also reviewed the dimensions posted by each mfr and was satisfied.

I considered Toyos but locally I would have had to go to a tire chain store that probably doesn't have much truck experience, where it's all about speed and haste, and their mascot is an old dude in a cowboy hat. Pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful. Just makes me wonder why the Toyo's can be half the price of the Michelin's ... is the price an indicator of quality. I would kind of like to go a little larger tire as the 245/75s are just a little smaller than the 235/80's which will put my speedometer off .5 at 60mph ... however my speedo is already off 2 at 60mph so now will be 2.5. Not a big deal, but rim size and spacing between the duals probably won't allow me to go to a taller tire (I have room in the wheel wells for taller tire).
Old 08-03-2015, 11:05 PM   #6

A few yeas ago I replaced the 19.5 tires on our F-53 chassis. I found a set of Bridgestone tires that were four months old. After the Bridgestone tires were installed I found that our RV was difficult to drive. Control improved after about 1,500 miles. I have two guesses as to why our coach was difficult to drive. One, the rubber needed more time to fully cure and/or two, the tires had a "crown" that wore off with miles.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #7

Just and update on the tires. I did have the Bridgestone R268 Ecopia 245-75-22.5 tires put on today (didn't have the 235-80-22.5 XRVs available). $2458 our the door which is about $600 cheaper than the Michelin's. Only got to drive 60 miles on the new tires so far as that is how far it was to the tire shop. First impression is the MH drives the same. The road to/from the shop is a great highway, so don't know how they'll perform on a not so good road. One thing I did notice is a bit more noise (seems like they were singing a little more than the Michelin's), and did ride a little rougher ... but the rougher ride is because they put 100lbs in the tires and I usually run them a 90lbs. Once the tires cool off sitting in the shed I'll bring the pressure down some. Plan to drive around 1500 miles during the next 3 weeks (leaving Thursday for Glacier NP and Yellowstone) so will give me a better chance to compare to the 9 yr old Michelin's I replaced.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
A few yeas ago I replaced the 19.5 tires on our F-53 chassis. I found a set of Bridgestone tires that were four months old. After the Bridgestone tires were installed I found that our RV was difficult to drive. Control improved after about 1,500 miles. I have two guesses as to why our coach was difficult to drive. One, the rubber needed more time to fully cure and/or two, the tires had a "crown" that wore off with miles.

Safe travels. JD
Interesting. I put Kelly's on my rig, and I thought the steering was a bit wishy-washy. But after a long trip, it seemed to get better. I thought it was my imagination; but now from what you and civdiv99 have said, I think the handling did improve.

Any others find this?

Glenn
Old 08-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
Just and update on the tires. I did have the Bridgestone R268 Ecopia 245-75-22.5 tires put on today (didn't have the 235-80-22.5 XRVs available). $2458 our the door which is about $600 cheaper than the Michelin's. Only got to drive 60 miles on the new tires so far as that is how far it was to the tire shop. First impression is the MH drives the same. The road to/from the shop is a great highway, so don't know how they'll perform on a not so good road. One thing I did notice is a bit more noise (seems like they were singing a little more than the Michelin's), and did ride a little rougher ... but the rougher ride is because they put 100lbs in the tires and I usually run them a 90lbs. Once the tires cool off sitting in the shed I'll bring the pressure down some. Plan to drive around 1500 miles during the next 3 weeks (leaving Thursday for Glacier NP and Yellowstone) so will give me a better chance to compare to the 9 yr old Michelin's I replaced.

Sounds good. Since my original reply to your post I am at about 2,000 mi now on the 268s.

Zero beefs here. Taking off again Saturday for a 1,400 miler.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:19 PM   #10

I read a publication that talked about the transient feel that may be experienced when going to a new deep-tread truck tire. I don't have any experience in this area - I have a total of 1 coach, with a total of 1 tire change.

But, after another 1,200 odd miles, it feels natural, and I caught myself at one point realizing that I hadn't given it any thought for awhile. I figure it's just a feel. I remember my first trip in the new coach. Terrified and giddy at the same time, gripping the wheel way too tight, certain that the constant movement I felt and corrections i tried were all precursors of certain doom.

Next to that, the new tires are a non-event.

To the OP - we really do find the new 'stones quieter, but I had those XRVs worn down and all shoulders rounded off (I don't avoid the twistys, and I rotated my own wheels regularly as a result)