Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #1

26K Rear Axle Bump Stop

I was under the motorhome yesterday just looking around. It's a Newmar on a 2018 26,000 pound F-53. I noticed that the distance between the top of the rear axle and the bottom of the bump stop is probably a little less than an inch on both sides. That's with the jacks retracted on a perfectly level site. I just weighed at the CAT and am not overweight on any axle or GVWR. Anybody else have one similar and what kind of clearance do you have?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I was under the motorhome yesterday just looking around. It's a Newmar on a 2018 26,000 pound F-53. I noticed that the distance between the top of the rear axle and the bottom of the bump stop is probably a little less than an inch on both sides. That's with the jacks retracted on a perfectly level site. I just weighed at the CAT and am not overweight on any axle or GVWR. Anybody else have one similar and what kind of clearance do you have?
My 18k Chassis has about 3 1/2" of travel to bump stop:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0364.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	237498
Old 03-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to JIMBO34PA Send a message via Yahoo to JIMBO34PA
not much

2016 Tiffin 24k chassis and at rest about the same between axle and bumpers , not overweight.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #4

Check the front axel stops, they are probably less than that. That's the reason people complain about a "jarring ride". The axels hit the bump stops because the springs flatten out quickly on the heaver chassis.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanbaker View Post
Check the front axel stops, they are probably less than that. That's the reason people complain about a "jarring ride". The axels hit the bump stops because the springs flatten out quickly on the heaver chassis.
If the axles were constantly crashing into the bump stops, they would be falling apart.
The harsh ride is because the springs are very stiff and don't flex much at all.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:43 PM   #6

Pretty surprised the heavier chassis is around an inch of travel, that's pretty horrible especially compared to my 18k with 3 1/2" travel front and back
Old 03-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Pretty surprised the heavier chassis is around an inch of travel, that's pretty horrible especially compared to my 18k with 3 1/2" travel front and back
That really is not that much travel if you thing about it. Its easy to find out if you are hitting the bump stops. Put children's clay on the top of the spring using tape to try to keep it in place, and take a little ride. See if the clay is still there at the end of the little trip. Ford springs seem to sag very easily.