RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #1

4R100 cooler

I have a 4r100 in my MH and Ford replaced the seal @22,000 miles. At 60K it blew fluid from a hole in the filler tube and I put a redneck patch on it (still holding) after a complete fluid change and service. Short bouts of 215* to 220* sense then.

Last week at 90,000 miles, it puked again after reaching to 240*F. going over a couple of mountains which included a long 9% down grade. I had unhooked the towed when the fluid temp got over 225* and a long way from the top. Temp are from a scan gauge that gets it reading form the MCP, where ever that is.

A few days later I climbed an eight mile 6% grade (unhooked) and temps held below 210* with 80* ambient. I replaced less than a pint of fluid and drove it about 600 miles home without incident. It only got to 200*F climbing out of Needles, CA to Kingman, AZ, with an ambient temp of 100* and everything stayed dry. The fluid color is still nice and pink (red) and there is no burned odor.

The first thing I noticed when it happened was fluid dripping between the engine and transmission, but could not tell where it came from. I suspected a seal issue but a "transmission trained" neighbor said no and that the fluid came from an unseen vent. (maybe the filler tube cracked at the base,) It did come from somewhere ahead of the slobber tube, which looked pretty dry, but there is no way to tell how much, if any came from that tube. I removed the rubber inspection plug and just inside things were damp, but not wet!

I am going to do a fluid change and address the heat issue. Had considered a deep sump pan but have learned that will not effect the cooling (thanks Mark).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Adding 7 more quarts is only useful to lighten your wallet. It doesn't do much of anything for your transmission....

If you want to increase your transmission's cooling capacity replace the aux cooler with a larger one.
So I'm now looking at the Aux Cooler. Current Aux cooler is a 7-1/2 x 22 stacked plate setup.

I'm looking at adding a second cooler, but, should I replace the original with a larger one, or just add a smaller second cooler in series with the original one which may or may not effect the flow? What size for either? What about a "fan cooled" one? I climb a lot of mountains with this rig and it has served me well!

As an aside, the engine started misfiring a few hundred miles before and could have contributed, along with the higher elevations to a weaker engine condition, compounding the problem! I will also address the misfire with new coils and plugs!

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #2

A popular cooler replacement for the stock 4R100 cooler is a cooler off of a 03-07 Ford Superduty with the 6.0L. The cooler is very large and has larger cooler line fittings. Since the 06 and newer Ford F53 chassis also has this cooler, im willing to bet that will be an easy mod to make. What sucks is I had a few of the coolers laying around when I worked at a Ford dealer (trans tech) but I gave them to the scrap guy when I left. I wish I would have kept them now. Or the easiest would be to try an electric fan on the stock cooler and see how that goes first. Just increasing air flow over the cooler may help. I also use a Scan Gauge and monitor my trans temps. On the hill climbs I have done have netted me temps in the 190 range. Hot stop and go traffic was in the same range also. I have been going back and forth about my cooler but I have not yet seen anything that concerned me yet.

jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
I'm looking at adding a second cooler, but, should I replace the original with a larger one, or just add a smaller second cooler in series with the original one which may or may not effect the flow?
A second aux cooler WILL affect the flow, and in a negative way. The 4R100 has a cooler bypass that will open if there is too much flow restriction. A second aux cooler could cause the bypass to open, and then you have LESS cooling than if you had left it stock.

I agree with replacing the stock cooler with a cooler from a 6.0L truck. That will make a big difference on your temperatures.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #4

Photos are my current setup and a 6.0L replacement cooler. current setup coil dimensions are 7.5 x 22 inches. Could not find dimensions on new one, just what I think were shipping dimensions of 36+ x 24+ inches which cant be the product size.

So... Will the new one fit with minimal effort? Pretty good DIY skills and tools, just don't want to screw it up!

Also found a Dorman after market version at half the price. What about it?

H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51MluQ3AuwL._SX425_.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	64433   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2735 (Large).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	64434  

Old 06-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #5

I don't know on the motorhome chassis, but on the pickup chassis the 6.0L cooler mounts to the same mounts as the original cooler. It bolts right on with NO modifications.

The only modification you need to to is to adapt the 3/8" lines you have to the 1/2" lines of the cooler. Any hardware store will have adapters that can do this.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #6

Look like it is 34 inches wide and I have only 22, maybe 26 counting brackets. Just don't see how it would fit. The air filter housing is in the way.

Will look for an add on that I can work with. Thanks for you help. Will update.

H