Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
4R100 trans fluid question

I took my new-to-me 2000 Itasca Suncruiser with 14,500 miles on it to a Ford Fleet service center to have the alignment adjusted. While there, they suggested a trans flush, which I agreed to. I know it was a little early, but not knowing the service history from the previous owner, it was convenient to just get it done at the same time.

The original Ford spec was for Mercon. Ford later said it was ok to use Mercon V, as Mercon was discontinued. I checked the receipt when I got home and found that the dealer used Mercon SP (XT6QSP), which is supposed to be a synthetic. I called the dealer to verify if it was the right fluid as I thought that they needed to use Mercon V, but he assured me that SP was correct.

However, after further checking online, I am beginning to think that they made a mistake. I looked up the Automatic Transmission Fluid Chart in the Motorcraft catalog, it it shows Mercon V as the correct fluid. I even called Ford technical support, and the guy I talked to didn't know the difference between Mercon V and SP. In fact, he had never heard of SP. He said I had to ask the dealer. Well, duh!! That's why I was calling corporate!!

Can anyone verify if SP is ok to use in this tranny?? Thanks!
INSPECTORBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
The 4R100 takes Mercon V. Here is an article that mentions, in part, that Mercon V was developed for the "new high-torque transmissions", and that it was developed in 2005. I found another page selling SP here they says "do not use transmissions requiring MERCONŽ V".

I would ask your dealer to show you the TSB or other written doc that says that SP is OK for use in your transmission, or are they willing to give you something in writing that they will stand by their choice in fluid.

Good luck!
Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #3

Went to that site and it appears the SP is used in the newer Torqshift 5 speed transmissions.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #4

I would ask your dealer to show you the TSB or other written doc that says that SP is OK for use in your transmission. I don't think he can come up with one.
No written guarantees. If it is wrong, change it. That won't help much when you are 3000 miles away.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I took the rig back and had them re-flush. Then I bought a bottle of Mercon V to compare, just to make sure they put in the right stuff this time.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
The 4R100 takes Mercon V. Mercon V was developed for the "new high-torque transmissions", and that it was developed in 2005.
Stewart
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer with the 5R55E transmission that calls for MerconŽ V. How did they know back in '98 that they were going to develop that stuff in 2005?
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer with the 5R55E transmission that calls for MerconŽ V. How did they know back in '98 that they were going to develop that stuff in 2005?
Sorry, I should have said "Mercon SP" was developed in 2005. The article I referenced does mention the right type.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Strange .

On the back page of my chassis owners manual it states my 4R100 trans takes Mercon, and that Mercon an Mercon V, are NOT interchangable !

Says ' DO NOT MIX Mercon and Mercon V.'
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford discontinued Mercon a few years ago. They have a TSB that says that you need to use Mercon 5 as a replacement. Go figure!!