Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #1

4R100 won't go into park

2000 F53 chassis, V10, 4R100 trans. The shift lever will not allow the trans to go onto park. Ford dealer tech crawled under and reported no linkage damage although I have not verified that by personal inspection. Probably would not know what to look for anyway. Trans functions in R, N, D, 2, 1 but just not into P, so we are mobile and engine can be shut down and started in neutral. Just cannot pull the key out in N. Removed plastic cowling under steering column and this Torx screw fell out. Ford tech ran out of patience and was unwilling to help ID this part. Can anyone identify where this came from and if it might be part of the problem? Any solutions, ideas, or speculation would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #2

missing photo

I think the photo of the screw did not transfer to the forum. Let me try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180121_092818935.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	189505  

Old 01-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
It looks like one of the bolts that hold the shift tube to the steering column.

Remove the top cover, There are two bolts that secure the tube. See photo.

To get the top cover off, you'll need to remove the bottom cover, then remove the key cylinder:

Put the key in the ignition and turn it to run. Look carefully on the bottom side of the cylinder and you'll see a small silver dimple in a hole. Press that dimple in and the key cylinder should pull out. Once you have the top cover out of the way, put the cylinder back in and turn the key off.

I suspect the bolt and the park problem are related...

While your in there, consider checking the OD wire where it comes out of the shift stalk. These chafe and then the OD cant be turned on and off..

Repair overdrive button on shift column – 1999 Southwind 35S

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F53_OD_Button_3_600a.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	189513  

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #4

Look near the bottom of the steering column, under the dash. Find the bracket that the shift cable attaches to. The bracket is held to the shift tube by two of those screws. Replace the screw and tighten the other one, too.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:27 PM   #5

Thanks to the posters who left a reply to my 4R100 trans into park situation. Waiter21, your fix seemed like the best place to start. I used your instructions to remove the key cylinder. Never would have otherwise figured out how to get that out of the way. Then the plastic cowling was taken off. Those screws around the shift tube clips matched the one that fell out. But the screws were solidly in place around the shift tube bushings. Thanks for that suggestion, and for the instructions. So I moved on to Mark's response, and immediately found that to be the source of the problem. One of the screws around that bracket or yoke had fallen out, the other was loose. I borrowed a #30 Torx "socket" from a neighbor here at the park, and with the right set of extensions was able to re-insert the screw and tighten it down. It is the darker one in the photo. I also tightened the other one (lighter in the photo), as Mark correctly predicted that it would be loose as well. Now the shift lever works perfectly, and moves the trans into park as it should. Waiter21, I'll check that OD wire tomorrow and then reassemble the cowling. I cannot thank both of you enough for your responses. It saved me some big bucks I am sure!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180122_145854257.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	189676  
Old 01-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #6
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
GREAT ---

Since you own a 2000 F53, you may want to look at a few more items

1) IMPORTANT - Take your VIN # to any ford dealer and have them check recalls, particularly the Cruise Control recall. If this applies to you, get it done ASAP.. This can cause a fire, even if the vehicle is in storage.

They will inspect the switch and install a small fuse harness. This can be done in 10 minutes in the parking lot.

2) Transmission shift TSB - Tranny shifts funny in 1st and 2nd.

F53 Transmission shifting weird in 1st and 2nd gear 1999 Southwind 35S

3) Air Intake TSB - water ingestion

TSB air intake reduces water ingestion on F53 1999 Southwind 35S

4) Vibration around 45-55 mph - wheel hub centering TSB

Funny vibration around 50 mph Wheel Centering on F53 1999 Southwind 35S

Plus a lot of other F53 stuff on my site...

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #7

This is a common problem with this era of Ford's, my F250 was loose as was my wife's explorer.