RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2018, 07:52 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I take it that the 5 Star is a change in the ECU settings only. Is that correct?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2018, 01:27 AM   #16

I added the 5-Star tune when my 2016 chassis (6 speed) had around 5K miles. I now have over 20K. I won't call the difference dramatic, it was perfect. (as perfect as V10 can be). When my coach is empty and not towing our Jeep toad, it accelerates like an SUV full of passengers. Fully loaded (we roll near GCWR on long trips) it manages to keep up with a lot of other RVs. So I would say the RV was horrid without it, more than acceptable with it. If I had to take it off I would sell the RV, I won't drive without the added power and smarter shifting.

RickySpanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:03 AM   #17

Added my 5-Star tune 3 months after we bought our coach 5 years and 40,000 miles ago. Stock it drove like a dog, always downshifting, slow from a stop. 5-Star biggest change was decreased downshifted, most noticeable though was pep from a start. Gas mileage no negative, but haven't noticed positive, until I had banks headers installed.

Funny is, when I had the Banks headers installed at the factory in Cali, the mechanic that installed the headers and road tested it commented on the pickup the coach had.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #18

I have a 2015 Ford chassis with the 5 speed and previously had a 2001 Ford with the 4 speed. To cure the downshifting and high RPM, I rarely use the cruise control. Instead, I use my educated foot and allow the coach to slow down somewhat on minor grades so it doesn't downshift. Voila! I've saved $500.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #19

5 Star Tune works great

I've had the tune on my Bay Star 3401 for more than a year. It's no panacea, but is a significant power improvement over stock. I can also get up hills better although it will still rev on the steeper ones - but much better than before. Acceleration around town is significantly better. No change in economy.

Here is more info
buffgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
Did mine about a year ago. Very happy with it. Just had mine smoged in March (in CA), and forgot to reload OEM program. Passed no problem.
That's good to know regarding the smog. Next year will be my first year to smog and I was wondering if I would have to remove the 5Star Tune.

Thanks!

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:40 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Installed mine years ago. Big improvement in Acceleration, shifting, just made it better. Got a new to me coach this month. Has a complete Banks kit installed on it. Removed the Banks tune because I got my new tune from 5star this morning. Iíll let you know how it feels. Thatís my first mod on the new coach. 5star will take care of you if you arenít happy with your performance.
Hurricane Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:47 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As far as the smog, I lived in Cali upto 2017. I smoged my RV every year with the 5star tune. Never had an issue. The reason I smoged with the tune is I forgot it was installed. Also passed smog in AZ with flying colors. Still forgot it was in there. Didnít forget to remove it for my new coach. No change in MPGs that I noticed.
Hurricane Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Traded a 2013 Vista 27n for a 2012 vista 32k. I was aware of the 5 star tune but didnít have it on my 2013. I picked up the 2012 from the dealer and when I left I noticed the engine shifted smoother. When I got home (300 miles) I went through the manuals, etc. left in the MH and came across the 5 star tune info and kit. It was a much improved driving experience from my un 5 star tuned 2013. It was a nice bonus!
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sask66 View Post
Traded a 2013 Vista 27n for a 2012 vista 32k. I was aware of the 5 star tune but didnít have it on my 2013. I picked up the 2012 from the dealer and when I left I noticed the engine shifted smoother. When I got home (300 miles) I went through the manuals, etc. left in the MH and came across the 5 star tune info and kit. It was a much improved driving experience from my un 5 star tuned 2013. It was a nice bonus!
Is it safe to assume that both of these had the 4-speed transmission?
Old 10-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #25

I put a 5 Star tune on our '04 MH. Big improvement with shifting on the 4 sp trans. It would hold a gear a lot longer before down shifting. Returned that MH back to stock before selling so I could use the tuner on the new MH. $100 for a new tune. Not as much of a difference with the 6 sp trans. I still like it though.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Is it safe to assume that both of these had the 4-speed transmission?
No, the 4 speed was phased out in 05 or 06. It will have a 5 speed.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:06 AM   #27

Installed the tune 2 years ago, first thing we noticed was how quiet the coach became. It suddenly started shifting and driving more like an SUV. It no longer downshifts on ant hills and there are no more 5-3 downshifts when climbing. It will shift to 3 when needed and that is still loud but it doesn't do it nearly as often and I can usually prevent it by popping out of cruise control before heading up a large climb. There really is a 4th gear the Ford for some reason decided to skip on downshifting. I would say the 5 star was the best investment I made in the coach for driving comfort.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:10 PM   #28

2014 F53, 5 speed. 5Star tune is best $$ I have spent on upgrades. Smooths out shift points and greatly reduces 4k rpm downshifts. We cruise at 62 mph and CC is very comfortable on most grades. If I see a steeper grade, I kill CC and add manual throttle to keep it under control. My experience is you need to be above 58 mph for best and least number of downshifts. We rented a class C with 6 speed earlier this year. My impression is 6 speed may not need the upgrade. My experience is no noticeable difference in power or mileage. Improved shift points are well worth the $$.

Tags
ford, motorhome, v10, gas