RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #29

5 Star Mod for Ford F-53 Gasser V10 Motorhome

The 6 speed benefits from smoother shifting and avoiding the “hunting” while on a grade. No real difference in performance or MPG from what I have observed. No real difference while in standard versus tow/haul mode either. Everything is noticeably quieter. I like mine. I usually tow a Chevy Equinox in tow/haul mode at about 65 MPH.

jlreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2018, 07:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
Installed the tune 2 years ago, first thing we noticed was how quiet the coach became. It suddenly started shifting and driving more like an SUV. It no longer downshifts on ant hills and there are no more 5-3 downshifts when climbing. It will shift to 3 when needed and that is still loud but it doesn't do it nearly as often and I can usually prevent it by popping out of cruise control before heading up a large climb. There really is a 4th gear the Ford for some reason decided to skip on downshifting. I would say the 5 star was the best investment I made in the coach for driving comfort.

2008 F53 5 speed.

My experience mirrors Polyian’s above. Great purchase.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:47 AM   #31

I have a 2000 MH V10 that at times just won't shift down on a hill when I need it to. Any idea if the 5star will take care of that ?
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #32

Installed on our 2012 two or so years ago and loved the improvement in shifting when not in tow/haul mode and do believe it has a little more power. Nice that 4th gear is now being used.
What I have noticed with ours however is that in cruise/haul it tends to hold on to 5th and will skip 4th which it holds in too long on grades then skips third for 2nd. Doesn't do that out of tow mode. I usually don't use tow for that reason except for in towns or going down hill
Old 10-20-2018, 06:15 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Installed the 5 Star - - drove a short distance - the wife said - - - - wow - - what a difference! She was the passenger.......

Nuff said....

g

Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, motorhome, v10, gas