Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
5 Star Mod for Ford F-53 Gasser V10 Motorhome

I'm interesting in hearing the good and bad about installing the 5 Star programming in to your Ford F-53 Gasser Motorhome.

I know they are a sponsor here which is great and have mine already ordered at the irv2 group rate which was fantastic.

To all who have installed in I'm interested in hear how long have you installed it and your impressions on its changed performance of your MH.
I have heard many stories and just want the facts please.
I know it may slightly get you better gas mileage but I think it may because your driving style because it may need less pedal to accelerate to a speed.

Anyway I'd like to hear your experiences in lay terms now that you have had it for awhile.

I also would like to know if you restore the OEM programming before you smog your rig or not. My state Arizona now has annual becaue my rig is a 2012.

Looking forward in reading what other think.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #2

I installed the 5 star two years ago.I'am not sure if it changed my fuel mileage much, but the shift points are better.No more high RPM'S going up even small hills,and seems to have more power.Best money spent on coach so far,and I've spent some.

purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #3

The 6 speed, from my own experience, doesn't need it.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
The 6 speed, from my own experience, doesn't need it.
His RV is a 2012, so not a 6 speed.

We have had great results from the 5 Star tune, installed a couple of years ago. No change in MPG, but the improved shifting makes it worth every penny.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #5

I have mine installed for about 2 years now and works great on my 5 speed trans. It was great to have on our trip to Yellowstone last year. Best $$ I have spent on our motorhome
rdd001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My coach is a 2006 chassis with the 5 speed transmission. I installed the change two years ago as part of chasing after a overall better performing power train. The transmission will hold 5th gear longer and when it does down shift it will drop to fourth rather than third. I'll see an RPM jump to 3000 or so with the first shift before the drop to third which will be pushing 4000 rpm. Rolling hills the coach will hold fifth gear where in the past I would get a down shift. Haven't notice much of a change with the tow/haul shift pattern. Regarding any fuel economy or power improvement, I have not noticed and have actual lost a few tenths of a mile to a gallon but that could also be my right foot getting heavier.

The cost of the tuner does seem a bit high considering it doesn't really fix anything that is truly broken and is causing the coach to be unusable. Its just an improvement on the original. As such if your budget can spare the hit then go ahead. But, (always seems to be one of those hanging around) if you have a list of wants and needs the turner is a want and should only come after all the needs have be taken care of. From what I read on IRV2 and other forums any six speed owners considering the tuner might want to spend the money on Koni shocks instead.

And don't forget Father's Day is just a few weeks away.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #7

I have a 2018 F53 - 6 speed. I can tell you it still helps quite a bit. Accelerating to speed smoothly onto a freeway. Downshifting when going down a hill. I wouldn't say as big an improvement when going up hills but I feel like I lose 3 MPH less than before (I drove the same route twice).

I didn't buy it to see improved fuel mileage, but any little bit helps. I haven't noticed worse gas mileage since installing it.
rayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you All for your inputs.
I am surprised how many have already had installed to 5 Star many years ago.
With my well maintained 2012 with 60,000 miles I will definitely let you know if I notice any difference in my high mileage rig.

Keep you inputs coming from all those who don't speak up much. I want to hear about your 5 Star Mod.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #9

Did mine about a year ago. Very happy with it. Just had mine smoged in March (in CA), and forgot to reload OEM program. Passed no problem.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
His RV is a 2012, so not a 6 speed.

We have had great results from the 5 Star tune, installed a couple of years ago. No change in MPG, but the improved shifting makes it worth every penny.
OP said, "I'm interesting in hearing the good and bad about installing the 5 Star programming in to your Ford F-53 Gasser Motorhome."

He was not year or tranny specific. I was just passing along my observations as a commercial RV driver.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
Did mine about a year ago. Very happy with it. Just had mine smoged in March (in CA), and forgot to reload OEM program. Passed no problem.
That's great to hear. I wont reload mine. Due for smog in a few months.
jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomo View Post
That's great to hear. I wont reload mine. Due for smog in a few months.
keep us updated. I have been worried about smog. mines not due for a while, but would be nice to not have to deal with reprogramming.
rayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:01 PM   #13

I have had mine in for 4 or 5 years. So long that I really can't compare it to the drive before fivestar. We have to do the smog test every year and I have never needed to remove the tune. It pases the test fine.
onecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #14

Same installed on 2018 F53 and not a huge change but better shifting and for me the biggest thing is it pulled the speed limiter off. Not that I need to go over 75 but there are times for safety you need to pass someone and falling flat at 75 was horrible.

Foodmanim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, motorhome, v10, gas