Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
5 Star or Brazels

Hi,
I am thinking about my next improvement to my RV. I think it has to be a power programer. Sure I would like more power, and lets throw in better gas mileage too, but I would mainly like to address better driveability. I think many of you know what I mean, the hanging downshift gear, constant downshifting on slight grade increases. I find myself not using the cruise control much because I can keep the trans in high gear and limit downshifting by controlling it myself.

From what I have read, my choices seem to be down to Brazels or 5 star. 5 Star programmer is around $370 and Brazels is around $700. Both are ranked very high and everyone seems to be happy with both. Brazels is made specific for a motorhome and I think with 5 Star, I would use the 87 octane, tow/haul program? I could be wrong a little on the above mentioned stuff, as I haven't started looking into it that heavy yet, so please correct me if I am wrong. Looking for your thoughts and experience on this subject. Goes without saying but I will mention it anyways, I want the best bang for the buck.

My chassis has a build date of 2/2000 and I found the 'PI' marking on the passenger side head. So that should be the 310hp/425torque.

Not looking to start a war of words, both great companies. Thanks,

Bill.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #2

When we make our next journey up to WA state, I'm seriously considering stopping at Brazels and have them do the upgrade on our coach even though it may be a bit more pricey.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We might have had 5-Star here before do not know where he is now Brazels has been here for some time reprograming 8.1's and now doing the Fords after alot of work on the spinning wheels on the rear end.
Programing is not cheap to design.
Have enjoyed mine for over 5 years.
Only use 87 octane and alot cheaper than Banks and I had three on Fords.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
When we make our next journey up to WA state, I'm seriously considering stopping at Brazels and have them do the upgrade on our coach even though it may be a bit more pricey.
I would be like a kid in a candy store with eyes bigger than my wallet. To actually stop by their place and only do 1 upgrade when I know they have some other great products talked about here. Good luck with that.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Brazel's is an impressive shop, Had my 2000 F53 to them for the performance upgrade in 2007. There was a definite increase in power but very little increase in mpg. I am considering the performance upgrade for my (new to me) new 2006 F53, although the newer 3 valve v10 seems to have significantly more power than my old 200 with full Banks and Brazel upgrade.
howdja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #6

howdja, my interest in the upgrade for our 2000 is more for power rather than any increase in mpg as with the size and weight of our coach I'm content with the 7mpg we're getting. A few years ago while in TX I had the full Banks system installed for around $1,700 and that increased power somewhat but not what I expected.

Glad to hear that you were pleased with the additional power realized by the Brazel upgrade. We may try to get up to WA next year and I plan to stop by their shop for the upgrade.

Thanks again for the input.,,Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Is there a website for 5-star? Of course I can find Brazel's, but I haven't found 5-Star's.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1BUD View Post
Is there a website for 5-star? Of course I can find Brazel's, but I haven't found 5-Star's.
5 Star Tuning

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Running 5-star tunes on both my coach and f-150, no complaints, Haven't run them enough to say if there is an mpg increase, hard to keep foot out of gas on f-150, but the power increase is very nice.
Keith & Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:07 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith & Sharon View Post
Running 5-star tunes on both my coach and f-150, no complaints, Haven't run them enough to say if there is an mpg increase, hard to keep foot out of gas on f-150, but the power increase is very nice.
What are the improvements you seen with your coach? You mentioned more power, what about throttle response, trans shifting and overall cruising down the highway type things? Things you notice about it. Any negative to it yet? Is there a specfic program you went with like 87 octane tow/haul program? From what I have been reading, I don't expect to see an increase in MPG, but any gain would be a plus. Doesn't sound like it gets any lower either.

Thanks for the info,

Bill.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I really haven't driven it enough yet it is still learning the shift points, it needs to relearn after each flash, I have been running the 87 performance since I don't tow much. No negatives. Better throttle response and better/quicker shifting, more power in the hills. My f-150 gets better mpg if I keep my foot out of the throttle. It seem to be a better program than Banks which I have also. 5-star can also lower your engagement speed for the cruise control if you like, I had him lower it to 10 mph but have not put the new tune in yet to try it. The tow haul moves the shift points to better rpm than the factory tune and shifts it quicker so the clutches don't tend to slip (higher fluid pressure).
Keith & Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Hi Guys
Thanks for the posts . I suggest picking whom you feel most comfortable with. We have tuned many V10 RV's and trucks new and old. We are a small Family company but BIG on service and your end result will be positive. And if your not fully satisfied we would just simply refund 100% of your money, no worries, no hassle and i will always shoot you straight

Mike
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Mike,

Do you go with a recommended tune for a RV? What are the improvements over factory settings I would get with it?

I should probably just call you to discuss, but since I may only use the RV one more time this year, I am going to try and hold off and put it on my Christmas list. I can call and bother you then.
Thanks for any info to this post.

Maybe a Christmas special sale??

Thanks again,

Bill
Old 09-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedwards View Post
Mike,

Do you go with a recommended tune for a RV? What are the improvements over factory settings I would get with it?

I should probably just call you to discuss, but since I may only use the RV one more time this year, I am going to try and hold off and put it on my Christmas list. I can call and bother you then.
Thanks for any info to this post.

Maybe a Christmas special sale??

Thanks again,

Bill

Hi Bill
I recommend just an 87 octane RV daily tune for your V10 . Gains will be more power and better shifting. See here for more info v10 RV
We do have a group buy coming up that would save some bucks too.
I will be sure to post here about the buy. The more that would buy the cheaper device can be..

Mike
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote