Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can You List the 10 codes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
Pete,

We are currently developing a new tune to address the issue that is present on some of the late model F53s. Is the tune perfect for all 110+ PCM codes, controller combinations, vehicle weights, etc., not to 100%. In a handful, less than 10 codes, we are 97% of where we want to be. We will get all codes to 100% soon. TVA1 and PRW4 with certain cruise controller mechanisms are the first 2 we are developing for release.

Chris
Chris, Thanks for the updates. You listed the 2 codes that are being given priority. Could you kindly list the "other 8" as part of the 10 codes you mentioned?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/735629463187747/
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 04:18 PM   #58

My rig has the PRW4 pcm code and does suffer from some annoying downshift issues in CC. Other than that it's a huge imrpovement over stock. Anxiously awaiting the update!
Old 07-30-2015, 06:53 AM   #59

Just don't want this post to fade away. Especially since I have a PRW4 tune. At one point earlier in this post the 5 Star rep said the updated tunes will be available in the fall. I'ld like to know if I wait until the new tune is available and I don't like it will a refund still be available.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:40 AM   #60

Here is some more food for thought. I need to take my coach to Ford to get some issues resolved and I have returned the PCM to the stock tune. Prior to installing the 5 Star in CC the coach would ignore the existence of 4th gear and do the 5th to 3rd on any bump in the road. Installed the 5 Star and the coach now did use 4th gear with the CC engaged but not reliably ie: Starting with a cold engine first drive of the day it would work perfectly, but on subsequent restarts the 5th to 4th would resort to 5th to 3rd. As the coach sits right now with the stock tune on it, it has discovered the 5th to 4th downshift and it's performance with the CC is by far the most consistent and the best it's ever had. I installed the 5 Star with about 500 miles on the coach since new it now has about 2500 miles on it. This is my second coach with a 2014 F53 chassis and I did not want to repeat the irritating 5th to 3rd behavior my prior coach (FR3 30DS) exhibited and its the primary reason I bought the 5 Star. The new coach now has about 2500 miles on it. The current coach sits on a 22,000 pound 2014 F53 chassis. PCM code PRW4. With that being said there is also a very noticeable difference in the throttle response between running the tune or not, the response with the tune is much more responsive. The tuned coach took a lot less gas pedal to get things moving.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:46 AM   #61

Ford Super Duty Owner
Never fear, this post will not fade away. There's to many waiting for the upgrade.

Five Star has always been excellent in the CS area and have offered a refund to all customers that were not pleased with the results. I also have the PRW4 CPU code and also looking forward to the upgrade. I also don't want to rush what they are trying to do. It is very complicated and I'd like them to not feel pressured to make these corrections and improvements.

Some have complained that there's not enough testing before a TUNE is offered for sale. While some may not think US testing their TUNE under real world conditions is our job it is achieving some results. Complaints about specific issues has sparked them to do this upgrade. Most all have been almost 100% satisfied. Even with just a few issues I'm still way happier than with the stock TUNE. We will all benefit from the results.

TeJay
Old 07-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #62

Tejay
I very much enjoy reading your posts and for the most part agree with them. I this case thou unless you are now an employee of 5 Star most of your prior response is speculation and really doesn't help me.
The most interesting thing to me is that prior to installing the 5 Star my coach ignored 4th gear while in CC. After uninstalling the tune it now does use 4th gear while in CC. I'm wondering if the adaptive learning of the PCM remembered that 4th gear is there. The PCM did forget whatever tweaks 5 Star did that effect responsiveness.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:14 PM   #63

I've reported earlier on my short drive/experience with the 5-star tune and noticed a change when driving in CC (4th gear does appear when CC is engaged) but perhaps not a 100% satisfied. Since 5-star does read this forum and make comments and perhaps changes, here's the changes I'd like to see when driving with CC (don't know if this is possible). If you loose 2mph from your set CC speed have the transmission kick out the torque converter lockup, if you loose another 2mph (total 4mph) then kick the transmission into 4th gear, then finally if you loose another 2mph (total of 6mph) then kick the transmission into 3rd. I think this scenario would get you over most overpasses and shallow inclines/hills without shutting the CC off and manually using the throttle to prevent the 3rd gear downshift. Anything steeper than that and you probably shouldn't be driving with the CC engaged. JMHO
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #64

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2012 Ford 20,500 RV chassis with the 5 Star tune would not use 4th gear unless the speed CC speed was 61+ MPH and then only at WOT or 99% load according to my ScanGage II. This caused the transmission hunting from 5th to 4th in 20 to 25 second cycles while driving W/B on I-40 from Weatherford, OK to Kingman, AZ due to a headwind on the A pillar. There was no way to make it stay in 4th which produced enough power to give enough acceleration to regain 3 MPH to the CC 62 MPH setting.

What I would like to see for drivers in the Rocky mountain area is the ability to use 4th gear when desired by depressing the TowHaul button and have the tranny downshift to 4th and stay there until the load was below 60 to 75% or what 5th gear could maintain. That would cure the 5th to 3rd shift problem and eliminate the hunting problem I experienced. The best solution would be a toggle to tap left to downshift a gear and right to upshift a gear and enable the driver to control transmission shifting as needed.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #65

I mentioned in an earlier post that I purchased a Banks air intake from 5 Star. They sent me an updated tune matched to the Banks intake at no additional cost. Great customer service!
I finally got around to installing them today. Did a short road test afterward to make sure no idiot lights came on.
I do feel a seat-of-the-pants improvement. Full throttle noise isn't bad- (I'm one of those guys who as a kid turned the air filter lid upside down on dad's Monte Carlo back in the '70s).
Will be doing a 700 mile trip next month so I'll do an update after we get back.
Next on the list: FlowMaster 70 series muffler.
WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #66

Haven't seen any new posts from 5 Star in this thread but I have on some new ones so want to put this one back at the top. Still need info on when the PRW4 repair will be available.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:20 PM   #67

Just came back from a 1600 miles trip. Since I have upgrades my 2015 Georgetown XL 350, this was the first real long trip. The handling portion was the best. A real pleasure driving 500 miles per day. The 5 star upgrade was really nice but when not using the CC I often realized I was speeding most of the time. I like driving at 65 mph but without CC I was always around 75!

The trip was a mix on flat and decent hills. Even while paying attention, the coach didn't perform nicely while using CC. Many occasion the transmission didn't know where to go, on a very flat surface the RPM would go to 3000 RMP @ 65 MPH. I had to kill the CC and restart it to work again. Fuel economy stayed as stock, no gain, no loss.

I wish an upgrade will be made avail for strategy code PRW4 because driving long period without CC kills the benefit of the tune in my opinion.

No matter stock or tuned, I never leave my coach on CC when climbing a hill but I never had any issues in stock mode where my transmission would downshift for nothing.

Can wait for an update from 5 Stars
2015 Georgetown XL 350TS FireMist | Firestone Ride Rite 4 corners air bags | Koni’s FSD Shocks | Safe T Plus | BlueOx Rear Track| 5 Star Tuned | Centramatic's Wheel Balancers | Best handling Georgetown XL Bare None !!!
johnnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:38 PM   #68

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGeorgia View Post
Chris, Thanks for the updates. You listed the 2 codes that are being given priority. Could you kindly list the "other 8" as part of the 10 codes you mentioned?
JimGeorgia, some of the other codes we are working on are BLZ5, CTM0, GCF0, PBR2, PRW5, UHV1, XRU1 and ZDN1. These are the 10 out of the 100+ that received priority.
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #69

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
Haven't seen any new posts from 5 Star in this thread but I have on some new ones so want to put this one back at the top. Still need info on when the PRW4 repair will be available.
Sorry, been busy traveling to different events and working on new developmental tunes. We're still planning on fall updates. I do not have a date set in stone. Would like to have wishful thinking and say Octoberish.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:43 PM   #70

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBRVing View Post
I mentioned in an earlier post that I purchased a Banks air intake from 5 Star. They sent me an updated tune matched to the Banks intake at no additional cost. Great customer service!
I finally got around to installing them today. Did a short road test afterward to make sure no idiot lights came on.
I do feel a seat-of-the-pants improvement. Full throttle noise isn't bad- (I'm one of those guys who as a kid turned the air filter lid upside down on dad's Monte Carlo back in the '70s).
Will be doing a 700 mile trip next month so I'll do an update after we get back.
Next on the list: FlowMaster 70 series muffler.
The FlowMaster 70 is a great choice! Happy to provide you with the tune update and thank you for posting your experience! Look forward to hearing our your trek after you've had a chance to hit the road.

Tags
test