Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlucky View Post
I got the motor home back yesterday and all I can say is "Wow". In tow/haul mode the transmission downshifts with every tap of the brake. It even works at freeway speeds, which was the number 1 concern that I had. It will now hold hills under downhill conditions.

This was all without cruise control being activated.

Thank you Ford for finally fixing this.

Bill
Did you remove your 5 star tune? Now will it matter if you re install it? Seems if you have the 5 star it will just over ride what Ford did wouldn't it?
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #44

Yes, I did remove the tune.

I spoke with 5Star yesterday and they want the "ECU Strategy" off of the Ford Reflash. They can then send me a tune that won't negate the Ford shifting strategy.

I won't be able to get to it until next week, but I will post once I hear back from 5Star. So far, they have tried pretty hard to help resolve this. I wish I would have heard about the 5Star update that they published at the end of September. If that would have worked, I would not have gone for the Ford update.

Best regards

Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #45

Quote:

I spoke with 5Star yesterday and they want the "ECU Strategy" off of the Ford Reflash. They can then send me a tune that won't negate the Ford shifting strategy.

I won't be able to get to it until next week, but I will post once I hear back from 5Star. So far, they have tried pretty hard to help resolve this. I wish I would have heard about the 5Star update that they published at the end of September. If that would have worked, I would not have gone for the Ford update.

Best regards

Bill
Just so I am clear then, I have their (5 Star) latest update on my 2016, I think it was like Sept 30th. My tune should be the same or as good as the Ford fix then? Mine downshifts just fine as far as I can tell. I wasn't going to bother with the Ford fix anyway. Or after they look at your "strategy" they will develop a newer version for the 6 speed? Keep us posted as I can call Chris and see if they have any updates with this new information coming. Thanks
Old 10-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #46

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does this sound like a failing torque converter?

- sorry for the cross post, but hoping that this thread will be seen as well

RV Details:
2005 National RV / 2004 Ford F53 chassis
46,000 miles
transmission fluid was changed last year

Ok then ... we traveled today to Williamsburg, VA. This is the 2nd trip we have taken with the 5Star Tune applied to our RV. This one was much longer - by about 350 miles.

About 15 miles before our destination while traveling on the highway the RV started to lose power. We were on a relatively highway flat road and I just began losing power. The engine/transmission were acting like we were going uphill - losing speed, losing power and would not upshift.

I backed out of the throttle to see if I could get the transmission to shift up to 4th - it did not. I then put the throttle all the way back to the floor and we just kept losing speed and power.

Throttling the engine up in park/neutral just doesn't sound like the power is being put down right. We did notice a few (maybe 3 or 4)squeals under load when shifting to 4th gear - sounded like a quick slip of a belt - kind of like when an a/c compressor in an older car kicks in.

When we got to the campground the RV sat for about 30 minutes while I unhooked the car, checked in, etc

On the ride to the site, the power/trans seemed to be better.

So now, I am wondering?

- could this be the torque converter going
- did it overheat - I'm pretty sure there is a trans cooler on this RV I would be surprised if it is an overheat issue and temps here are cool and we ran most of the day in the rain.

I'm afraid that we're going to have to bring the RV in for service before we leave VA. We are supposed to be here for at least 1 week - maybe 2, but I'm just trying to get a leg up and see if anyone else can relate to this problem we're having today.

Have we had this problem before - NO

Am I wondering if the 5Star Tune has brought to light a failing part? Unfortunately maybe.

It didn't feel like the transmission was slipping, there was just a lack of power being put down.

The only other transmission related oddities that we have had - maybe 2 or 3 times - would be when we are climbing the Pennsylvania hills. On one long uphill climb in particular we crest the top of the hill and the transmission would "stick" in gear - It's hard to explain, but it would be like a dull hum. One this hill climb the trans shifts down and RPM's hit 4,500.

The more I type, the more I am feeling a pit in my stomach and the more I am thinking - and kind of hoping - that it's just a torque converter.

Well it's Saturday and I can't do anything until Monday morning.

Anyone have any recommendations for RV service centers in the greater Williamsburg, VA area? I do recall driving by McGeorge RV that is right off RT 95 - about 45 minutes from our stay at Thousand Trails - Williamsburg.

Thanks in Advance for any advice, comments or experience.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #47

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And .. after pulling off the highway about 7 miles before our destination, I did remove the 5Star Tune and restored the factory settings - there was no noticeable improvement.

It wasn't until it sat for about 30 minutes at check in, and then I started it back up and drove it to the site and it felt much better/more like normal.

I feel another deduction from my wallet happening
Old 10-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #48

KTM

I'm not sure where the torque converter posts came from....

It sounds like they have a tune that will work with the new flash from Ford.
I am very happy that your 5Star tune fixed your transmission issues. I was never informed about their Sept 30 update so I do not know if it would have cured my ills.
I am absolutely ecstatic over the way the Ford update cured the downshift problem.
If I can get the 5Star engine enhancements to work with the Ford fix I will be one happy camper!

Best regards
Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
And .. after pulling off the highway about 7 miles before our destination, I did remove the 5Star Tune and restored the factory settings - there was no noticeable improvement.

It wasn't until it sat for about 30 minutes at check in, and then I started it back up and drove it to the site and it felt much better/more like normal.

It sounds like you had a air filter full of water. If it sits a day and runs normal, It was water in the air filter.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #50

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Sounds like water in the engine air filter. If it sits overnight and goes back to normal, that was the problem. Make sure you check the filter and see if it collapsed.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Did you look at the color and smell of the trans fluid???? You stated it was changed last year so it should still have a nice red color to it...
Old 10-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies to my post everyone ...

I do have a separate post in the Ford Chassis forum about this and it was suggested I take a look at the air filter, and sure enough 2 days later, the air filter is damp and when I took it out, some water drips came with it.

Looks like an air filter replacement and fuel filter replacement (for good measure) is happening this week.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
ed,

We have almost 20,000 miles on the coach and right at 400 hours of engine operation. That's right at 50 miles traveled per 1 hour of engine operation. That works out to 100 hours and 5,000 miles. Pretty simple.

I got Mobil 1 5W-20 for $24 (5-qt) that's About $5 a qt. Seven qt engine and filter puts the oil change around $45. That's still not bad.

That's one of the cheapest insurances for a long engine life. I could push it a bit but to what end??? If I have to go over the limit I'm sure not worried. If we are away and oil change hours come up I won't go to the trouble of stopping at a CG just to change the oil. I'll just finish the trip and do it at home.

I would not hesitate to do 10,000 miles or more between oil changes. Most all RV's are driven highway miles. Does that matter???? Absolutely it does.

Stop and go driving is considered heavy duty or severe operation and is the hardest on engine longevity. Highway miles are considered light to moderate duty and the engine is at it's cleanest and most efficient state of operation.

Ditto.... I only use Mobile 1 Extend. Perf. in all of my engines ( Cars & RV)
I almost always seem to average 50 miles per hour and follow the same plan regarding oil changes.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:11 AM   #54

Quote:

Best regards

Bill
Josh at 5 Star emailed me an updated tune. I was experiencing my RV "searching" quite a bit between 5th and 6th gear when in tow/haul towing my Tacoma. I told them it would even pretty much just stay in 5th even on flats w/o much wind. So he sent me something to "hold" 6th a little better. He told me that when in tow/haul their tune solves any prior issues that there were before the FORD FIX and the FORD FIX isn't necessary.

I take my RV in this week for a Blue OX Track Bar and Safety Steer Stabilizer install and then I will take it for a test drive, but won't be doing any more towing until I leave for Florida in late January for 2 months.

I can say that these guys at 5 Star (josh and Chris) are top notch and really helpful.

Side note question?
has anyone asked what the add on $700 warranty 5 Star Sells with their tune is for? What are they warranting? I cannot find any information on their website about it.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #55

I read everything I could find on this forum, and based on that purchased a 5 Star tuner for my 2015 Vista with the 5 speed trans. Loaded it up on Friday last, and drove it on Sunday. What a difference! Not only does it run better, but the built in speed restriction is gone. I will depart next week for a 1,400 mile trip, and will see how the miles per gallon work out. As far as i can tell this tuner is money well spent.
DLBCW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:06 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
"Warranty - there is a law, for the life of me I can't think of its name (2 hyphenated names) where 5 Star tune would have to be the proven reason for the part failure in order to affect the warranty."

I have heard of that law as well. The only part I can recall is "The Magnesson - - - ."

I'm sure somebody else will remind us how forgetful we are becoming.
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act
Ran into that when changing the tune in my Harley....
Yarddroid is offline   Reply With Quote