RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
5 Star Tune question

I know 5 Star has lots of posts, I still have a question that I have not been able to find yet. I have a 2018 F53 chassis with a 6 speed. The charts show that 5 Star gives you more torque at a lower rpm. Is there any indication that this benefits engine life? The review on the website shows that without the tune, the torque peaks around 4000 rpm and with the tune it peaks at 3200 rpm. Can this translate into less wear on the engine?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
That's a tough question and I really doubt any manufacturer or 5 Star will study it to give you a definitive answer. Most answers here will be just speculation.

It makes sense if you cruise at a slower RPM it should translate to better fuel mileage and maybe longer engine life. More shift points does improve fuel mileage hense the 10 speed on this new set up for 2019 or 2020.

I've talked with the folks at 5 Star and they assured me that what they do is to finely tune the fuel delivery and timing to improve performance, shifting and nothing they do is going to significantly alter the emissions or harm the life of the engine.

These same timing, shifting and fuel trim changes could be done by Ford but for what ever the reason they don't do it. Economics and the fact is they are the only game in town has a lot to do with it. Maybe for the same or similar reasons they don't provide a better shock or different shocks for different weight chassis, stiffer anti-sway bars and a rear track bar.

They went to a 3-valve and the 5-speed transmission in 2006. Added a front track bar around that time. Changed to the 6-speed in 2015 and apparently a complete new engine trans combination in 2019-2020. Why dump the V-10 platform that has proven itself for over 20 years? Take a guess it's as good as the next guys.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:38 PM   #3
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwyble View Post
The review on the website shows that without the tune, the torque peaks around 4000 rpm and with the tune it peaks at 3200 rpm. Can this translate into less wear on the engine?
Well I suppose you could draw that conclusion, but it would only be a guess. To my knowledge, no one has or will do all the expensive, controlled studies to accumulate the data to give you a definitive answer to this question. And even if these studies were performed, you'd have a myriad of so called professionals and a plethora of owners that would dispute the findings anyway. And on top of that, to many other variables contribute to engine life.

But then again, this isn't the reason people install 5ST in the first place.

There is however many other proven things an owner can do that will improve overall engine life.

My 2 cents.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181, "we speak fluent sarcasm"
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:03 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dudes, get a life already.
I have the 5star tune and yes it drives much better. It holds gears better, no hunting, appears to have better power, that is seat of the pants power. I would not drive it without the tune except when going to the dealer for service and that's only because I don't them to perform an update and kill my tune.

No I have not noticed better mpg's but that's because the power is better and I somehow end up driving faster, thus killing the better mpg's
Old 02-12-2019, 05:14 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking at 5 Star from this angle is more effort than if might be worth. Granted lowering RPM and less transmission shifting will naturally benefit a powertrain but the gain would be very difficult to measure with any degree of accuracy as compared to the standard stock configuration.

If you think it might help the driveability of your coach then buy it. If it adds slightly to chassis longevity bonus points. I'm pretty sure if you're not happy it's returnable. Myself, I have no interest in returning to stock configuration any time soon and the software won't be transferred to the next owner without financial compensation coming back to me.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #6

I don't know about engine life, but MY life was definitely improved when we owned our ACE after I installed the 5ST, by the reduced stress and noise level!
I removed it before I traded it in and gave it to a friend who's life is now similarly improved.
HaRVey 74.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwyble View Post
I know 5 Star has lots of posts, I still have a question that I have not been able to find yet. I have a 2018 F53 chassis with a 6 speed. The charts show that 5 Star gives you more torque at a lower rpm. Is there any indication that this benefits engine life? The review on the website shows that without the tune, the torque peaks around 4000 rpm and with the tune it peaks at 3200 rpm. Can this translate into less wear on the engine?
The current 3 valve V-10 engine with the 6-sp in the produces 420 ftlbs of torque @ 3,000 rpm. Peak hp is @ 4,000 rpm. The maximum engine rpm is computer limited at 5,200. The expected durability listed by Ford for the engine-trans combination is 200,000 miles. Even if the 5 Star Tune reduced the durability by 50% most of us alive currently would never see the demise of the engine.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:32 PM   #8

With all of this talk about maximum torque with or without the 5 Star Tune, you need to realise that the only way to reach maximum torque or HP, is to have the throttle wide open.

Anything less then wide open throttle ( foot to the floor ), at any RPM will not get you to peak values. If your driving your RV like that, everytime you take off or climb a hill, then you can expect a shorter engine life.

Marine and airplane gas engines, which run under load all of the time, are typically run at a cruise speed of about 60% to 75% of max power.
At that % if power, its a trade off between speed and longivity.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks all for your replyís. I appreciate comments. I will be getting 5 star for all the more typical benefits and was just looking for any fringe benefits.