Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2017, 06:51 AM   #1

5 Star Tune questions (irv2.com group buy)

Hi all,

I was looking up some information on the 5 star tune and noticed they have a group buy for 429$ for irv2.com members. My coach is a 35ft Damon Daybreak on a 2004 chassis.

I called 5 star to answer questions for me but got voicemail.

1. Can I use it on another F53 if I ever change vehicles?
2. Can it be returned after using If I am not happy with it?
3. Can the tuner be mounted on the dash to display MPG\Trip info while driving (Can it replace a scan gauge)?
4. Can using the tune cause issues with 3 party warranties?
5. Will I notice any mpg differences?

Thanks,

Stephen
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2017, 07:21 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #3

I spoke to 5 star.

They said the tuner can be used on 5 different vehicles over its life time. It can be taken on and off as many times as you want on the tuned vehicle. They recommend remove g it when going in for a service or warranty work.

It can be returned for a full refund if it has not been used, if the tuner has been used it's a 20% restocking fee. So that's a 86$ plus shipping to trial it.

The tuner does not show mpg so would not replace a Scan gauge.

The told me the main differences will be on gear hunting, dropping a great when going down hills (not sure how it knows this and 6-10% increase in fuel economy.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:00 AM   #4

Just ordered one :-)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:03 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
1. Yes, but may need reflashing.

2. Yes, I think, but you will be happy!

3. Yes

4. Read many threads, both pro & con, on iRV2, then decide for yourself.

5. Maybe. Some say yes, others no.

I bought mine a couple of years ago for a 2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911. Couldn't be more pleased with it. Transmission shift point changes alone made it a no-brainer for me.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:16 AM   #6

Thats great Jim :-)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I really enjoy my 5 Star. As to MPG I seem to get a bit better, but estimating gen fuel is difficult so the mpg is an estimate. You will see a bit more power but this increases fuel flow. 4800 RPM on a hard climb I see a 2 gallon per hour increase in fuel flow, but the speed is up so climb time is shorter. If fuel flow is a direct inverse to HP and torque I'm seeing the advertised increase. Down shift is now minimal on overpass's for a better quieter ride. As a side note I do run the Scan Gauge and I monitor trans and motor temps that remain within acceptable limits while towing and on hard climbs.

LEN
Old 08-10-2017, 09:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I really enjoy my 5 Star. As to MPG I seem to get a bit better, but estimating gen fuel is difficult so the mpg is an estimate. You will see a bit more power but this increases fuel flow. 4800 RPM on a hard climb I see a 2 gallon per hour increase in fuel flow, but the speed is up so climb time is shorter. If fuel flow is a direct inverse to HP and torque I'm seeing the advertised increase. Down shift is now minimal on overpass's for a better quieter ride. As a side note I do run the Scan Gauge and I monitor trans and motor temps that remain within acceptable limits while towing and on hard climbs.

LEN
Thanks Len,

My main reason for getting it is the constant down shifting.

Also needs to have a good reason to give the financial controller for purchasing it :-)

Can you comment at all about it dropping gear going down hills?
Old 08-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
...The told me the main differences will be on gear hunting, dropping a great when going down hills...
That was my understanding. I suspect this would benefit the 5 and 6 speed folks with a Tow/Haul mode more than it would the 4R100 people...

I tend to operate my tranny in a manual mode in mountainous terrain. I'm still thinking about it.. :-)

Keep us posted on this..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
That was my understanding. I suspect this would benefit the 5 and 6 speed folks with a Tow/Haul mode more than it would the 4R100 people...

I tend to operate my tranny in a manual mode in mountainous terrain. I'm still thinking about it.. :-)

Keep us posted on this..
I will indeed Waiter,
Old 08-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #11

I got mine last Friday and I took the coach out for a 7 mile trip with some hills (up and down), freeway on ramp, back country roads, etc..

I then put on the tune and made the same trip.

I can say that even my MIL knew something was different. Her main comment was how much quieter the engine was especially when going up hill. From my perspective it was easier going both up and down the hills (smoother downshifting) and getting onto the freeway. I watched the Current MPG indicator, and I do think it was a very slight improvement in MPG but that could just be wishful thinking.

On Tuesday we made our first trip from SoCal up to Zion with it, and I am super impressed with it. It was worth the $500 and even if I got a new coach and had to spend $500 again I would do so.
randomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
I got mine last Friday and I took the coach out for a 7 mile trip with some hills (up and down), freeway on ramp, back country roads, etc..

I then put on the tune and made the same trip.

I can say that even my MIL knew something was different. Her main comment was how much quieter the engine was especially when going up hill. From my perspective it was easier going both up and down the hills (smoother downshifting) and getting onto the freeway. I watched the Current MPG indicator, and I do think it was a very slight improvement in MPG but that could just be wishful thinking.

On Tuesday we made our first trip from SoCal up to Zion with it, and I am super impressed with it. It was worth the $500 and even if I got a new coach and had to spend $500 again I would do so.
That's great to hear Rayzor :-)

Did you not use the irv2.com group buy?

Not very hilly around here, but have a trip in to hilly country in a few weeks where I can test it properly.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
That's great to hear Rayzor :-)

Did you not use the irv2.com group buy?

Not very hilly around here, but have a trip in to hilly country in a few weeks where I can test it properly.
Sorry yes, I got the group buy at the last moment as I was researching if I should make the purchase or not, came across the forum post!
randomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I put it on my new 17 Winnebago Vista on the F53 22k chassis with 6 speed. I have made two 300 mile round trips on the same road. One without the tune and one with the tune. I went up a 7000 foot pass 15 mph faster with the tune. Coming back down was a joy. Did not need to ride the brakes. Just tap the brakes and it down shifted. A couple of taps and went down at 45 mph. Made the boss much happier.