Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
5 Star Tuning

Getting my Winnebago Vista 30T, set up for our National Parks Tour. Just waiting on UPS to deliver the Banks Cold Air Intake. Can't wait for the results. Oh yah, Military Discount! 🚍🤠

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 08:35 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
David,
We have the exact same unit on a 2014 chassis. You may have the 6-speed but probably the 5-speed. It's a good transmission and the 5 Star will make it much better.

Here's something that you may or may not have. If you do have this little trick you'll love it. Not every F-53 chassis does this.

While driving your RV set it on cruise control (CC). The little green light will light up. Hit the RES button and if the light goes off then you're all set. Hit it again and it will re-set to your original speed.

This allows you to turn the CC on and off without hitting the on/off button or the brakes. As you drive up a hill you'll figure out the time when you can disengage the CC and pedal up until you near the crest then re-engage the CC all with the RES button.

We all realize that the CC is trying to maintain your set road speed. I wish there was some way of having the CC re-set the cruise control to an engine RPM instead of a road speed or MPH. So far 5 Star has not figured that one out yet. Maybe they just can't do it.

I'm usually cruising at 2,000 RPM's and 62 MPH. As I encounter a hill I'll wait until the transmission down shifts and the RPM's will go up to 2,500. If I do nothing eventually the transmission will do another down shift to about 3,000 RPM's. Or I can hit the RES button and using the pedal keep the rpm's at 2,500 and climb the hill. As I near the crest hit the RES button again and if it's leveling off it will finish the hill.

This way of driving I enjoy. It gives me more control to avoid the after burners coming on trying to maintain my 62 MPH speed.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
👍🚍🤠
Old 03-21-2018, 09:08 AM   #4

I have one on our 2005 4 speed. Its made a big difference.
1stmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:06 AM   #5

Installed the 5 Star tune on a
Bay Star. Done many tunes on many vehicles over the years. This one is by far the finest and most effective. Night to day change in performance and shifting patterns.
Skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
Installed the 5 Star tune on a
Bay Star. Done many tunes on many vehicles over the years. This one is by far the finest and most effective. Night to day change in performance and shifting patterns.
I couldn't agree with you more! They are 5 stars and more in my book. Treated my wife and me royally, installed the Banks Cold Air Intake and did the tune. One 9f 5he best purchases I have made this year.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:29 AM   #7

What exactly does the 5 star do?
bandit2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:33 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGundy View Post
Getting my Winnebago Vista 30T, set up for our National Parks Tour. Just waiting on UPS to deliver the Banks Cold Air Intake. Can't wait for the results. Oh yah, Military Discount! 🚍🤠
Off subject but what parks on going to be on your tour?
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 5 star changes how the engine and trans work as a team to get you up a hill, 5 star reduces the early downshift common in for f53 and e450 with the v10, it a also compensates for the e10 fuel we now get, if you live where its flat, some power increase without a drop in mpg, in the hills is were the 5 star on the v10 shines.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
5-Star (SCT) tuner is maybe the best investment you can make for an V-10. I added it after purchasing 2008 Sightseer 29R on 2007 chassis. We tow a 3,600lb 2010 CR-V. The shift points were much better (higher RPM) and wandering between gears under load reduced.

Subsequently, I also added a full Banks System (intake and headers/exhaust). 5-Star was good enough to send me a software revision download used for engines with full Banks. The beast runs wonderful.

Regarding the full Banks install, it did not make as noticeable difference on the V-10 vs. a 454 GM we had in our earlier Winnebago. I believe that's because the exhaust manifolds on the 3-valve from Ford have a pretty good flow as delivered. If I were to do it again, I'd probably do the 5-Star and Banks intake only and take the difference and invest in suspension upgrades (SumoSprings/beafier sway bars and rear track bar) and solar. (But not to worry, we've done that too!)
Old 04-04-2018, 02:56 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
Off subject but what parks on going to be on your tour?
All parks in the lower 48.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #12

Two hundred miles on mountainous, narrow,7500 foot high mountain roads proved the 5% Star's worth. Can keep the engine in higher gears longer if you play your right foot properly Even in CC shifting much better, only dropped to 3rd gear several times the entire trip. HP and torque increases kept my 31 footer with toad rolling nicely. In haul mode down shifting to a lower gear to reduce coach speed during a down hill run may be too aggressive for some. Switching out of haul mode remedied that problem.Wonderful device!!!
Skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit2026 View Post
What exactly does the 5 star do?
I have wondered the same thing. I installed this and honestly I never could really tell any difference. Engine still downshifted to screaming mode and I would have to feather the accelerator manually to try and keep things quiet. It may help somewhat but for the money I just did not see any noticeable improvements.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok I live in south texas, no mountains to climb, on flat level ground running 65 any freeway overpass trans would ho fro 5-4-3 with 5star overpasses only go 5-4 which is a big improvement, and we do het a lot of wind, primarly from the north goung north in 40mph headwind v10 would not hold 5th at 65, eith 5star it does,i still vote for 5star. You csn always call them,maybe the upload didnt work for the new calibration.

avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote