Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #1

Question 5 Star Tuning...any problems?

I have a 2013 Winnie Vista 27N on the F53 (3V V10) chassis. I live in an area that tends to be somewhat hilly and the constant downshift to 2nd while on cruise is driving me nuts! Seems like a 5 star tune may be the answer. So the question is: which tune are people getting and has anyone had any problems with their tune?

David
13 Vista 27N
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #2

Take it out of cruise, manage the throttle (gain/lose momentum, save fuel) save your money for fun stuff.
If still under warranty, 5-star may void it.
It is an RV, not a rocket sled. Just let it work for you and have fun out there. :-)
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #3

On our previous coach, a Tiffin Allegro 36LA, we put the five star tune on. It made a huge difference in the shifting on inclines. It really made the trips more enjoyable. Two months after putting it on, we upgraded to a diesel. [Moderator Edit]
It is east to install and remove so when taking the coach for service, the dealer is not aware of five star being used. We were told that it does not void the warranty on the engine, but not sure how to check that out reliably.
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Added the 5 Star Tuning and love it. This is my 3rd. V10 but my first 5 Star. Just my a 4K trip from east coast, down thru Tenn. and across to Oklahoma and Kansas and back to Maryland. The tune makes a big difference and removes all the Hard downshifting. Yes, it's easy to install and un-install if your need to go to the dealer. Mike at 5- Star is always there to help if you have questions or run into a hiccup when installing. When I knew about 5-Star on my previous MH's.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah2 View Post
On our previous coach, a Tiffin Allegro 36LA, we put the five star tune on. It made a huge difference in the shifting on inclines. It really made the trips more enjoyable. Two months after putting it on, we upgraded to a diesel. In fact, our five star tune is for sale. Just haven't gotten around to put it on the classifieds.
If interested, PM me.
It is east to install and remove so when taking the coach for service, the dealer is not aware of five star being used. We were told that it does not void the warranty on the engine, but not sure how to check that out reliably.
The tunes are serial number specific...
Installed 5 star before our trip this summer, it did change the downshift pattern a little and I noticed a little more power but I have learned that when it comes to hilly stretches I kick it manually down one gear and it saves me the hassle of the screaming downshift of two gears.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #6

When you say you kick it down one gear are you going from "D" to 3 ?

David

13 vista 27N
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaugh10 View Post
I have a 2013 Winnie Vista 27N on the F53 (3V V10) chassis. I live in an area that tends to be somewhat hilly and the constant downshift to 2nd while on cruise is driving me nuts! Seems like a 5 star tune may be the answer. So the question is: which tune are people getting and has anyone had any problems with their tune?

David
13 Vista 27N
No problems, it's an upgrade in my opinion. I did it for the same reason, driving mountain passes. The 5 start tune made a difference in being able to maintain a more consistent pace driving up mountains without the constant playing the gas peddle for up and down shifts. I noticed a difference when fully loaded, smoother shifting and able to maintain a higher speed up hills. I also noticed when accelerating from a dead stop, it picked up speed much faster from much smoother shifting.

You can always return to stock settings at anytime. I didn't mean to sound like an advertisement just trying to give my opinion of what I experienced.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:42 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
No problems, it's an upgrade in my opinion. I did it for the same reason, driving mountain passes. The 5 start tune made a difference in being able to maintain a more consistent pace driving up mountains without the constant playing the gas peddle for up and down shifts. I noticed a difference when fully loaded, smoother shifting and able to maintain a higher speed up hills. I also noticed when accelerating from a dead stop, it picked up speed much faster from much smoother shifting.

You can always return to stock settings at anytime. I didn't mean to sound like an advertisement just trying to give my opinion of what I experienced.
ditto - This covers it All!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
5 star tuning helps, but on hilly terrain you need to take it out of cruise and manage your throttle yourself. It will downshift if you leave it in cruise.
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have had the 5-star on our Ford V-10 for almost a year. That and the CHF really make the coach fun to drive. Living in Colorado, it actually helps tremendously going up and down the mountains (of course, after last week's floods, there aren't too many places to go in the mountains except via I-70 - most of the other roads are gone). I highly recommend the 5-Star. And it keeps your original tune so you can restore it if you need to take the chassis into Ford for repair.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaugh10 View Post
When you say you kick it down one gear are you going from "D" to 3 ?

David

13 vista 27N
No I just hit the throttle a little and the trans will drop down a gear instead of two if I let the cruise manage it
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote