RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2019, 10:11 AM   #1

60,000 service

Dropped my 09 22K F53 at Ford today.
they found nothing about packing wheel bearings
(are 09 bearings sealed?)
they are trying to figure out what fuel filter it needs
(they think fuel filter may be in tank)
they flush tranny but do not chance tranny filter
they will inspect brakes but not do brake work
I think I took it to the wrong place.....

gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
Dropped my 09 22K F53 at Ford today.
they found nothing about packing wheel bearings
(are 09 bearings sealed?)
they are trying to figure out what fuel filter it needs
(they think fuel filter may be in tank)
they flush tranny but do not chance tranny filter
they will inspect brakes but not do brake work
I think I took it to the wrong place.....
Me think you are correct

Old 03-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #3

when I plug my vin into Ford Maintence site and look all the way to 90,000 miles, no mention of front wheel bearing packing.....this is different from my printed book received when I bought it.....maybe Ford changed their minds on this??????
Old 03-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tell them not to touch anything and get it out of there. Quite obvious they don't have a clue what they are doing.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Might want to take a set back rendering judgement.

I'd give them a pass on the wheel bearings. I'm pretty sure the only way to know is a physical inspection. They could have just taken everything apart, found seal bearings, reassembled and charged you the labor at $100+ an hour.

The fuel filter is permanent and tank mounted. That info they should have considering it is also available to the owner on page 104 of the Owner's Manual.

Starting with model year 2009 Ford started eliminating the external transmission filter and designated the internal lifetime just like they did the fuel filter. The older schedule maintenance guide has a fluid and filter change at every 30K while newer models only fluid only and starting at 60K miles.

Not doing brake work is a bit strange. Easy job with a reasonable profit margin potential. Might be they refuse all brake and clutch work for possible asbestos exposure, however slight.

They did miss the engine air filter which is every 30K miles. That would have been a quick up charge for parts.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #6

well then the plot thickens....
they replaced fuel filter part-$26.76, labor-$99.40
flushed tranny 20 qts $213.65

brakes had 10mm

still confused why my book says pack wheel bearings and Ford web site has no mention of it for my vin....

they did cover oil/filter/air filter/lube/brake flush etc which I told them I had done
Old 03-27-2019, 04:55 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
well then the plot thickens....
they replaced fuel filter part-$26.76, labor-$99.40
flushed tranny 20 qts $213.65

brakes had 10mm

still confused why my book says pack wheel bearings and Ford web site has no mention of it for my vin....

they did cover oil/filter/air filter/lube/brake flush etc which I told them I had done
Certainly does. Any chance the rig is a 2009 house built on a 2008 chassis? The 08 does have a frame mount filter just forward of the vapor canisters on the driver's side. At $26.76 they used the most expensive Motorcraft filter available, at least based on what RockAuto sells. Plus an hour labor for a sub 15 minute job is a bit much.

Was the tranny work cost just material or material and labor? A case on Mercon is around $75 but if you shop around you can find it for less. Plus if an 08 chassis you have the external filter so something is a miss. If you are physically capable a driveway flush is pretty easy - https://youtu.be/Ie4KdJCWDHE.

The wheel bearing thing I've got nothing. I do suspect Ford has no idea either. For what it maybe worth, Ford contracts out final assembly for the chassis to Detroit Chassis (Home - Detroit Chassis) and I think the front axle is acquired from Dana/Spicer just like the rear. With so many different hands on the axle no telling what bearings might have been supplied to an assembly line. Probably a single digit different for the part number and no one caught it until late in the production cycle. Not worthy of a recall and an easy CYA is a note in the scheduled maintenance guide.

Tags
service