Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #1

81% Failure rate on 2013 V10!

V10 Failures - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Reported in fleet use bucket trucks that have high idle hours. Specific to 2013 engines. One poster calculated that the high idle use is equivalent to approximately 40,000 travel miles.

The common denominator seems to be rocker failure on the # 4 and 5 cylinders

This report comes from a fleet manager who is looking for corroboration from other V10 owners. The RV community needs to watch this closely as if true, our failures will be occurring just after the warranty expires!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2015, 09:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting read !
it looks like the culprit is the oil seal on that tensioner...

and if you think about it, suppose the robot that applied that seal was incorrectly programmed for a period and not calibrated for a period ???

That might explain the 'batch' of fleet trucks bought at the same time having the same issue....
Old 12-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #3

Oh, so now we have one more Ford Motor Company blunder to deal with, as if the V10 cylinder head ordeal wasnt enough.
Will it ever end ?.
Neil
Old 12-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hopefully, this is just confined to certain VINs of one model year. But I'll keep and eye on this thread anyway.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #5

I would be suspicious of any report that didn't identify the parts correctly.
Over head cam V10 engines do not have rocker arms. They have cam followers. Both operator the valves but are of different design.

Richard
Old 12-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Interesting read !
it looks like the culprit is the oil seal on that tensioner...
Wouldn't we see the oil on the ground if this starts happening? Also how big a job to remove/replace the tensioner?
Old 12-24-2015, 05:55 AM   #7

As Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't always believe what you read on the internet."
Old 12-24-2015, 06:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
As Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can't always believe what you read on the internet."
I always thought it was Thomas Jefferson that said that
Old 12-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
I always thought it was Thomas Jefferson that said that
Yes, it was. And ever since he told me that...
Old 12-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
V10 Failures - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Reported in fleet use bucket trucks that have high idle hours. Specific to 2013 engines. One poster calculated that the high idle use is equivalent to approximately 40,000 travel miles.

The common denominator seems to be rocker failure on the # 4 and 5 cylinders

This report comes from a fleet manager who is looking for corroboration from other V10 owners. The RV community needs to watch this closely as if true, our failures will be occurring just after the warranty expires!
This isn't even apples to oranges. The engines in question spend the majority of their life idling. That will never be the case for an rv engine. Equating hours of idle time to equal some number of driving miles is a huge leap and is pure speculation. As with most things internet the devil is in the details or lack thereof. Relax and drive it. Time will tell if there's an issue but frankly it ain't worth loosing sleep over.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
This isn't even apples to oranges. The engines in question spend the majority of their life idling. That will never be the case for an rv engine. Equating hours of idle time to equal some number of driving miles is a huge leap and is pure speculation. As with most things internet the devil is in the details or lack thereof. Relax and drive it. Time will tell if there's an issue but frankly it ain't worth loosing sleep over.
In one post he said some of them have over 3,000 hours on them. If my abacus is working correctly at 60 MPH that would be 180,000 miles. I hope to live long enough to put that kind of mileage on my MH.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
In one post he said some of them have over 3,000 hours on them. If my abacus is working correctly at 60 MPH that would be 180,000 miles. I hope to live long enough to put that kind of mileage on my MH.

Good Point and I have already put 23,890 miles on our 2013 with just 488 engine hours so @ 3000 hours this would be lots more fun filled miles then I expected to travel on this unit. If it does fail at 3000 hours or about 13 years I will put in a new engine and be happy if I can last another 13 fun filled years.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:23 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I certainly wouldn't be too worried about it. 3000 engine hours is a fair amount of hours. And I have to wonder what his maintenance schedule is like. With all that idling, that's a pretty severe duty cycle.

We see a number of failures cam followers or rocker arms in cop car engines. (Brand shall remain nameless). We believe root cause is the maintenance intervals the cops are following. They do a really good job of changing the oil religiously at 3000 mile intervals. But, like the vehicles being discussed here, they idle a LOT, and are NEVER shut off. By our calculations, they really should be changing oil and filter at about 1000 miles due to the significant idle time involved. In the 2016 models, the oil change recommendation has been revised to include the requirement of no more than 350 engine hours as well as the mileage requirement.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
Old 12-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #14

I work in a Ford truck shop that works on lots of bucket trucks and motorhomes and have not seen 1 failure like that yet.
Very few v10 problems at all.
Closed Thread

Tags
v10