Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #1

94 Ford 460

last year i had problem with this 460 motor it had base pressure at that time everone gave me what to look for i found that it was a hole in "5 piston. and now after about 1500 miles it is doing it again. any help would be welcome thanks 94 ford 460 vectra winn chucksteak
chucksteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksteak View Post
last year i had problem with this 460 motor it had base pressure at that time everone gave me what to look for i found that it was a hole in "5 piston. and now after about 1500 miles it is doing it again. any help would be welcome thanks 94 ford 460 vectra winn chucksteak
Same piston position has another hole?
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #3

Holes in pistons are usually caused by detonation, from advanced timing or lean fuel mixture. Pretty hard to have advanced timing on one cylinder. The cause should have been determined before the repaired engine was started. I suspect a defective fuel injector. Have your fuel injectors flow tested to see if one of them is not delivering the proper amount of fuel. Seeing how the intake manifold gasket was replaced during the first repair, I doubt that it's the problem.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS7201 View Post
Holes in pistons are usually caused by detonation, from advanced timing or lean fuel mixture. Pretty hard to have advanced timing on one cylinder. The cause should have been determined before the repaired engine was started. I suspect a defective fuel injector. Have your fuel injectors flow tested to see if one of them is not delivering the proper amount of fuel. Seeing how the intake manifold gasket was replaced during the first repair, I doubt that it's the problem. Richard

Can't speak for Ford, but GM medium duty trucks in the 90's with the big block tall deck engine had a huge problem with this very issue. Typically it was a hole in the piston from the problem cylinder firing at the wrong time. This happened because the powdered metal distributor reluctor had cracked and actually turned out of place on the distributor shaft. Since most of these older engines had throttle body injection (not port), the fuel mixture never was equal between cylinders. Once the lean cylinder fired a little bit off time, and under heavy load the piston top was destroyed.

Another issue was cross fire in the distributor cap, from corrosion which caused the wrong cylinder to get spark, (out of time) Similar technology at that time. .
khogle2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford