Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2011, 05:46 AM   #1

96 F53 shock replacement.

Would like to limit this to only owners that have had experience with F53’s that sat on 16 inch tires and did new shock replacement. Thanks!

Currently running OEM’s on my rig right now and noticed some hobby horse motion in the front. Shocks aren’t leaking but surely must be due for replacement by now. So the question is what is the biggest bang for the buck that I can give a 15 year old coach. We put on about 5-6K miles per year driving cross country.

Monroe Magnums are the cheapest, and from what I’ve seen in researching the topic got rave reviews in their day (prior to Koni FSD’s coming out.) Blistens also got good control remarks, but also gave a harsh ride (which I don’t need any more of.) Koni also does not make a FSD for the back of my rig, so why would I pay extra for Koni’s if they do not have any new technology going for them?

So my first take is either to put Monroe Magnums all the way around, or maybe just on the back with Koni FSD’s on the fronts. I’ll make my final choice based on the feed back I get (if any.) Thanks for your input.
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I originally put Monroes on my 97 F53(it has 16"tires), then 10 months later and 4k in miles, I fell for the 'herd' mentality and put FSD's on the front. In my opinion it was a waste of money. I noticed no difference at all. Most that have installed FSD's have done so with considerably higher mileage and age on them and of course have experienced considerable improvement, which is understandable. Just like I experienced with the Monroes when I replaced the OEM's that were on there when I first bought the MH. You can replace all 4 of your shocks with Monroe's incl shipping for less than what you can buy the FSD's for just the front.

Unless you are into the 'herd' thing go with Monroe's.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #3

I have a 97 that had original shocks. Replaced the front only with Koni FSDs. It made a world of difference. One rough road I traveled with the old shocks, I could only drive about 30 mph. With the Koni's I could drive 55 without being afraid the overhead TV would shake out and fall on my head.
Gary B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Four Monroes for me last year, no regrets with a very comfortable ride.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:26 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Thanks for all of the input. The choice is now as clear as mud ...

Think what I'll do is put four Monroes on if the budget is tight (due to other repairs the rig needs.) Otherwise I'll add some extra cash to the shock budget for the FSD's up front only. If I'm going to invest the extra money on the dual valve hype/marketing, now I guess is the best time to do it when the old shocks need replacing regardless.

Thanks again.
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #6

Smile replace shocks on f 53 with 16 in wheels

I installed four Bilsteins thirteen years ago on my 94 Bounder. Been very happy with them.No problems with them. Much inproved ride on back country roads cut way back on swaying with crowned roads.I installed them myself with much needed breaker bar and pipe extention.
1skatingrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #7

Shocks.

1997 Southwind F53 Big ditto on Monroe's. Dramatic improvement. $40 on ebay= sway bar bushing a must !!
Orchardhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blisten, f53, koni, monroe, shocks