RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #1

96 Ford 460 no spark

My mh Sat for 2 weeks now I don't have any spark at the spark plugs most common problems and what to check for? Any help is appreciated

yukzwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukzwagon View Post
My mh Sat for 2 weeks now I don't have any spark at the spark plugs most common problems and what to check for? Any help is appreciated
Do you at least have a check engine light that comes with the key on engine off?
If not then maybe you have a blown ECM fuse.
I am assuming you have a 460 with EFI.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:08 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have the MIL (CEL) in the cluster that comes on with the key as stated above in post #2 then remove the SPOUT shorting bar jumper and see if spark returns.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #4

No check engine light key on or off checked the fuses and I don't have power to one of the 20s at the top of the box
Old 01-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #5

Don't know if it changes anything but I did not have a battery hooked up for those 2 weeks I'm looking for the eec plug I found the cap says eec test lol but there's nothing there
Old 01-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #6

Thank for the responses I will Google spout deal not sure what that is this is my first ford motor looking at it I like hei better
Old 01-20-2015, 05:29 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukzwagon View Post
Thank for the responses I will Google spout deal not sure what that is this is my first ford motor looking at it I like hei better
Do not worry about the SPOUT if you do not have the MIL lamp in the cluster light up when you turn on the key.
Definition SPOUT: (Spark Output) Desired spark timing information sent from the PCM to the ICM.

With no MIL lighting up means that the PCM Power Relay is not closing its contacts or there is no power to the common contact of the relay.
But if the relay is not being picked you may not be sending any power from the Ignition switch to the coil of the PCM Power Relay.

So the first thing to do is have someone put their hand on the PCM Power Relay and have someone turn the key to the run position and see if the PCM Power Relay clicks when the key is turned on and again when the key is turned off. This will tell us if the Ignition switch is sending power to the PCM Power Relay and the Ignition system. Then we will know how to help you more.

This photo below will show you where the PCM Power Relay is in the fuse/relay box in front of the radiator. Also tell us what fuse dose not have the any power with the key in the run position.

/
Old 01-22-2015, 04:22 AM   #8

Awesome thanks a lot for the help sorry for the long response time I work offshore and works been really crazy lately I'll do that as soon as I get back I did suspect relays so I swapped them all around so I'll shoot a bunch of lectaclean. In the key hole I see that the white thing says diode I'll try to figure out how to test that I disconnected the battery I know sometimes when we go coldstart boats the generators would have problems with the diodes and the electrician would "jump start" the diodes
Old 01-22-2015, 06:28 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
"key hole"???
If you are talking about where you put the ignition key in that you turn to start the RV that hole is non electrical. That is called the "key tumbler" and the only thing to put in its hole is powdered graphite for lube.

The Ignition switch (the electrical part) is located lower on the column under the dash and connected to the key tumbler by way of a rod and rack and pinion device.

The diode is there in case someone hooks up the battery backwards to protect the PCM Computer. In other words it will keep the PCM Power relay from being picked (closed).
I have not heard of a bad PCM Power diode yet in any Ford products.

/

Tags
ford