Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A/C blower intermittent

For some reason, my blower runs very inconsistently. When running, it seems to blow cold air satisfactorily. Then, regardless of speed setting, it will revert to no blower action, then all by itself, it will start up again. Any ideas?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #2

My '01 did that when new. The ventilation system would shut down on an uphill grade. There was a recall, or a TSB, and the vacuum canister (if memory serves) was replaced under warranty.

H.

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The next time it happens, feel the windshield outlets and see if the blower has diverted to defrost. If it has, you have a small vacuum leak.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Either way the blower will not stop blowing, it will simply default back to defrost or somewhere else. If the blower stops blowing, I would suspect a bad connection, bad relay, or bad blower motor.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dash or Roof? (Everybody assumed dash I see)

had a problem like that on my rig.. .Bad circuit breaker.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #6

Hummm, my 99 F53 dash A/C blower stops blowing every time engine is under load. Comes back when load lessons on a more flat terrain..This is NOT normal?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your outlets are diverting to defrost when the vacuum is low. You have a small leak, which is probably in the hoses, at the point where they plug in.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #8

Thanks Gatraveler, is your response intended for me? If so, I suppose I have to pull the engine cover off to access these hoses?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Usually the leaking hoses are located under the hood. Check for a canister that has vacuum hoses to it somewhere near the radiator on the frame. Mine had a blue hose that was deteriorated so badly it crumbled into dust when I moved it around. It ran from inside to the canister. I got a piece of the same size hose, and two connectors. I cut the bad piece out and replaced it with the new one.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #10

Thank you horseshoe...I will check this on my rig in the next couple days and provide feedback...thanks again.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseshoe View Post
Usually the leaking hoses are located under the hood. Check for a canister that has vacuum hoses to it somewhere near the radiator on the frame. Mine had a blue hose that was deteriorated so badly it crumbled into dust when I moved it around. It ran from inside to the canister. I got a piece of the same size hose, and two connectors. I cut the bad piece out and replaced it with the new one.
Hi, mine is a V8 and does the same thing. Under a load the cool air stops, fan slows down but still puts out not cool air. Acts like the air condition pump shuts off and then comes back on when the road levels out. Made for a hot trip trip this last week end. What does the vacuum tank look like? Thanks
redtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #12

Hi, I looked all over inside under the hood of my 98 Chieftain and could not find any vacuum cylinder with hoses coming off it. I wouldnt think I need to pull the doghouse off do I? Can someone tell me where to look for this thing?
Old 07-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If that F-53 has hydraulic brakes I can find that "Vacuum Canister" for you in about 2 seconds or less.. It is your brake booster.

If you look at the brake booster (Which by the way may be leaking) you have a large hose "engine vacuum or air pressure if it works that way) and where it connects to the booster there is a small (Very small) hose, looks like a wire.. That's it.

If you have vacuum operated cruise control, that too can do it. (or pressure)

Of course, often the leak is under the dash, The vacuum motors (Or solenoids) may also be under the dash.

IN my personal life I have seen manifold disconnected (The small one under the dash) Cracked and broken hoses, leaking booster and leaking cruise control solenoid.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #14

wa8wxm, thanks. I know where the giant brake cylinder is, the unit where I put brake fluid, I assume its hydraulic....When I depress my brake pedal while in park, there is an audible noise which is the booster I assume? This booster is mounted near the brake cylinder? I'll check around again. I did see a very thin tube running to what appeared to be a ball mounted up under the hood area..That thin tube runs back through the firewall. That thin tube looks fine.