Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #1

A/C drier question

I replaced the radiator on my 95 F-53 Holiday Rambler. When I took out the a/c condenser and checked out the a/c drier it looked pretty corroded. Based on advice I have read on these boards I decided to order a new drier. The the drier has a clearly marked "in" on the top and the two fittings are both the same size, the old drier is too corroded to read witch one is the "in" and they are not exactly the same but appear interchangable. So the question is : does the line from the A/C condenser go to the input to the drier or the output.
ExHeloPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #2

A/C drier question

I have the chassis manual but there is nothing about the a/c system in it.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExHeloPilot View Post
I replaced the radiator on my 95 F-53 Holiday Rambler. When I took out the a/c condenser and checked out the a/c drier it looked pretty corroded. Based on advice I have read on these boards I decided to order a new drier. The the drier has a clearly marked "in" on the top and the two fittings are both the same size, the old drier is too corroded to read witch one is the "in" and they are not exactly the same but appear interchangable. So the question is : does the line from the A/C condenser go to the input to the drier or the output.
I'm going to assume that you know that these lines are under high pressure and the system must be evacuated before disconnecting anything. Ideally the system should be drawn to deep vacuum before re-charging. You probably know all that, but I would not want to hear of anybody getting injured.

The diagram at this link will show the flow of a typical vehicle refrigerant system:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Auto...VvDhb5SDoEPDM:
Old 12-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #4

Depending where the dryer is located in the system . If the flow is compressor , condenser , dryer ,tx valve, evaporator , then the " IN " on the dryer would go to the condenser.
Be sure the dryers are exactly the same. The fittings might be slightly different and you won't get a proper seal. Be sure to add the correct amount and type of oil when you replace the dryer. If the system is working , I wouldn't bother replacing the dryer.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #5

Dryer/filters are cheap--if you opened the system--then replace the dryer. To me, its kind of hard to determine how much oil is in the system if you don't flush the whole system, so if not flushed you tend to be guessing how much is still in the system. My understanding is that the filter/dryer is not like the old r12 accumulator so not an oil storage area per say. Filter/dry is usually between condenser and expansion valve--so "in" port is from condenser and "out" port out is to the expansion valve....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:51 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I have the chassis manual but there is nothing about the a/c system in it.
Guessing you have the EVANS system here is a diagram of your system. As pointed out the IN is from the condenser:

And the wiring:

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:21 PM   #7

thanx to all

The info you all provided was helpful, especially the link to the diagrams it was exactly what I was hoping for.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #8

Quote:
The most commonly used dryer is a liquid line dryer so that is probably what you have. That would be the small line. It supplies the evaporator with high pressure refrigerant so the direction of travel is from the compressor through the condenser to the evaporator.

In the absence of a vacuum pump you can release refrigerant into the system before connecting the dryer you can displace the air because the refrigerant is heavier than the air thus eliminating the moisture at the same. Then just connect the dryer.

Hope this helps Q
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote