Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to littlevegas
still a problem

I am ordering 2 new house batteries next weekend which will solve that issue.

However I still have this same issue present with blowing the fuse. I ran a test wire from the bcc fuse f9 by splicing that new 10 gauge wire 3 inches after the harness. I ran the wire through the window and connected it to the existing connection. The AC DID stay on and I tried it a second and third time and it worked. So I though I was happy because I ran the wire under the chassis and up to the connection which was the exact same i made through the window previously.

POPPED again!! Then I replaced the fuse for the thousandth time and then it worked. I then turned off the blower and started the engine and turned it back to AC. It blew again. I almost put my fist though the nearest window i could find but just walked out of the motor home and came inside for awhile to relax. I have no idea what it is. Do you think its the clutch because that will sure make me happy. I cannot afford to have someone check over wires I DID NOT even touch for them to short out or whatever its doing.

Thank you
John
littlevegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2015, 10:15 PM   #16

I am ordering 2 new house batteries next weekend which will solve that issue.

However I still have this same issue present with blowing the fuse. I ran a test wire from the bcc fuse f9 by splicing that new 10 gauge wire 3 inches after the harness. I ran the wire through the window and connected it to the existing connection. The AC DID stay on and I tried it a second and third time and it worked. So I though I was happy because I ran the wire under the chassis and up to the connection which was the exact same i made through the window previously.

POPPED again!! Then I replaced the fuse for the thousandth time and then it worked. I then turned off the blower and started the engine and turned it back to AC. It blew again. I almost put my fist though the nearest window i could find but just walked out of the motor home and came inside for awhile to relax. I have no idea what it is. Do you think its the clutch because that will sure make me happy. I cannot afford to have someone check over wires I DID NOT even touch for them to short out or whatever its doing.

Thank you
John
Old 09-12-2015, 05:17 AM   #17

I don't think it's the AC clutch, only because it works sometimes.

I no longer have any suggestions for you. I feel that this problem is way out of your league and should be trouble shot by someone with more experience.

You claim this is a 1 year old vehicle, yet you are chopping up and slicing the electrical system.

There is nothing worse then inheriting an electrical issue from someone who did what you are doing.

Take it to a shop or call a mobile mechanic to fix it.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh.

There is a good chance it's something simple.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlevegas View Post

Thank you
John
Would you by chance have some type of volt/ohm meter (preferably a digital multi-meter) ? If you do, there are some tests you could perform to troubleshoot the offending wire. If the wire has been pinched and the copper conductor is touching ground somewhere, you could isolate it and check to see if it is grounding. If you don't see it grounded at first, try tugging and wiggling it while watching the meter. This would be a good place to start.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
You seem to have some working knowledge of wiring. First of all remove your extra wire splice. That's just confusing the issue. And it didn't work.

With electrical issues basics and step by step is the best approach.

Do you have a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter)?? Ir you don't get one. You'll use it a bunch.
Next. You are blowing the fuse why??? To much current is flowing through that circuit. It's supposed to blow so nothing burns up. It's designed for a certain amount of current and no more. You stated that you installed an AMP several months ago and all was well. Were you running the AC soon after installing the AMP??

Maybe with the AC and the AMP on the same circuit it's too much. There may also be some other loads on that circuit I don't know. So you have the AC and the AMP, Blower motor and maybe some others to be determined. You have to determine how many circuits there are on that 25 AMP fuse. Don't start chasing your tail before you know where it is.

Read what you wrote on post #1. You blew fuses but had multiple devices working. then you turned off the AC turned the radio and vent fan and all was well until you turned on the AC. If that is correct then there's to much on that circuit. Just for the fun of it. Take the amp off that circuit and wire it direct to the battery or any battery connection that comes from the battery before it goes through a fuse box. I want you to hook up the new radio amp to the battery directly with a fuse inline with that power wire. Separate the amp from the AC circuit. Put it on it's own circuit but with a fuse rated for the radio amp.

Let us know what happens.

TeJay
Old 09-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #20

One more thing, Google ATC fuse blowing.

There is a way to tell if the fuse blew from overload, (melted wire in it) or blew from short, (black stuff where wire was). It could help in diagnosis.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #21

Blown Fuses:
Although it's obvious when a fuse has blown/opened as it is designed to do but a lot of people still want to know what a blown fuse looks like. Below are several examples. The first image has three 15 amp fuses. The one on the left is a normal fuse. The fusible element is intact. The middle fuse blew from a slight overload. The fuse on the right has blown violently. When the element essentially explodes splattering the entire window with the molten remains of the fusible element, you know it was a significant overload.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:20 PM   #22

The fuse blows and it looks like the one in the middle which is a slight overload. It does not melt however I did not know this about a fuse until just now so thank you guys:-)

I did use a digital voltmeter and do use it a lot on many things not just this issue.
The amp is removed and entire radio is out putting things back to stock and still same issue. The amp and radio when they were in the vehicle were on their own electrical circuit running straight from the battery. I did run an inline fuse the same rating as the amp itself.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:06 AM   #23

resolution is coming i think

I wanted to update this forum with a test I did along with attach a picture of the fuse that came out of the BCC in F9. This issue seems to only occur when the engine is running. Just a couple hours ago I was outside trying to duplicate reasons to make the fuse blow. I realized when the car is in acc mode and radio, etc is on the ignition position I can turn the dial to a/c or any position other than vent and off. Nothing pops or blacks out. The second the engine is started and the position is moved off of the vent position, the fuse pops. My thinking is WHATEVER IS CAUSING THIS ISSUE IS ONLY PRESENT WHEN THE ENGINE IS ON. So does that mean its the clutch or a/c compressor since I don't think they come on unless the engine is running because the belt doesn't spin without engine power. I sure wish I could figure out where this clutch and wire coming off it. Crawling under the coach does not do any good because I don't know what to look for with all that crap in the way including all the hoses and plastic deflectors blocking some of the view.

Here is a copy of the picture of the fuse I just took out after starting the engine and turning on the a/c. This is result. Please help me diagnose this today so I can either make an appointment with Thor or Ford.
John
Old 09-18-2015, 03:23 AM   #24

how do you upload a photo to the post? It wont let me ??!!
Old 09-18-2015, 03:24 AM   #25

I wanted to update this forum with a test I did along with attach a picture of the fuse that came out of the BCC in F9. This issue seems to only occur when the engine is running. Just a couple hours ago I was outside trying to duplicate reasons to make the fuse blow. I realized when the car is in acc mode and radio, etc is on the ignition position I can turn the dial to a/c or any position other than vent and off. Nothing pops or blacks out. The second the engine is started and the position is moved off of the vent position, the fuse pops. My thinking is WHATEVER IS CAUSING THIS ISSUE IS ONLY PRESENT WHEN THE ENGINE IS ON. So does that mean its the clutch or a/c compressor since I don't think they come on unless the engine is running because the belt doesn't spin without engine power. I sure wish I could figure out where this clutch and wire coming off it. Crawling under the coach does not do any good because I don't know what to look for with all that crap in the way including all the hoses and plastic deflectors blocking some of the view.

Here is a copy of the picture of the fuse I just took out after starting the engine and turning on the a/c. This is result. Please help me diagnose this today so I can either make an appointment with Thor or Ford.
John
Old 09-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
My AC compressor is on the right side of the engine and I can see the clutch from underneath. I just looked again. The clutch has a belt around it and it is just above the bottom of the radiator housing. I can see a wire harness at the top )Black) and a connector (gray). I followed the wire down onto the top of the clutch.

Ours is a 2013 chassis but There are probable little changes from year to year. There's no reason to change the location of something like an AC compressor if it's working where it is. Remember it has to have access to the belt and that justgive so many spots to locate it.

We are leaving the CG in an hour and will be home today. If you still can't locate the clutch I'll take a picture of it and include it. You are also correct about the clutch being activated only when the AC is spinning. Your issue could be the pressures in the AC are getting higher causing more strain on the clutch causing the extra current drain and blowing the fuse. I'm not to versed in AC operation so it's just a guess. But since it's apparent it blows when the clutch activates pulling that wire and not blowing the fuse will isolate it as already suggested. If you find any wire connection around that area just pull it and I'm sure it will be the one. There are not to many wires in that area.

In case you don't know. Left and right are determined as if you are setting in the drivers seat.

TeJay
Old 09-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #27

I just took both connectors off and it still popped the fuse. Both connectors were black though. I have no idea what is wrong with this POS. I just had the fuse pop on me when the engine was not running. I did the same thing and turned it to A/C and radio PLUS HVAC blower stopped...and popped fuse again. I guess this coach was a lemon from day 1 and probably will always be too. The way this thing was build really really scares me still to this day.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #28

posting an update to this forum.....Just came back from dropping the Vegas off at the Ford truck center for repair. Will keep you updated. Thank you all for your input I definitely appreciate it.

Tags
fuse