RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #1

My 92 1992 Holiday Rambler SASX Imperial Class A on F53 chassis with A40D transmission with overdrive... transmission oil overheated and spewed out. Voluminous smoke which ceased when it cooled off as it was dripping onto exhaust. Drives and shifts fine and no problems at slow speeds up to 35 or 40mph.

However after 10miles or so at 55mph it begins to heat the transmission oil and at 300degrees it spews and smokes.

Anyone have that problem? ONe shop says seals would solve problem but can not deal with big rv. Another doesnt even look but says I need a $3500 exchange transmission.

I wonder if transmission cooler could be clogged ? The temps here were 95+ I have been in hot wx before but never had a problem. I had hauled a little 12ft cargo trailer 800 miles with no issues..in temps as high. Not a bobble.

Any suggestions? Would somewhere like camping world be better than a transmission shop? I have found Ford dealers would not even talk to me about RV..so have not called any of them.

Radiator shop...said they cant test or check transmission cooler...to see if it is clogged.
That too...makes me wonder why not?

I have had no problems with this lovely well kept bus in over 11k miles .. it has 55k miles
No clunks or slaps in drive train..it runs like a dream. Last year a pinhole in heater core..the original..fixed and driven 5k miles no problem. Oil change and put in a K&N air filter 1k miles ago.

I was in reverse backing the trailer..when it happened first. 2nd time as I say driving 55mph and let off gas after cresting 3rd hill.

Let it cool an hour..drove it back the 14miles under 40mph...no leak no smoke no problems.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #2

My 92 1992 Holiday Rambler SASX Imperial Class A on F53 chassis with A40D transmission with overdrive... transmission oil overheated and spewed out. Voluminous smoke which ceased when it cooled off as it was dripping onto exhaust. Drives and shifts fine and no problems at slow speeds up to 35 or 40mph.

However after 10miles or so at 55mph it begins to heat the transmission oil and at 300degrees it spews and smokes.

Anyone have that problem? ONe shop says seals would solve problem but can not deal with big rv. Another doesnt even look but says I need a $3500 exchange transmission.

I wonder if transmission cooler could be clogged ? The temps here were 95+ I have been in hot wx before but never had a problem. I had hauled a little 12ft cargo trailer 800 miles with no issues..in temps as high. Not a bobble.

Any suggestions? Would somewhere like camping world be better than a transmission shop? I have found Ford dealers would not even talk to me about RV..so have not called any of them.

Radiator shop...said they cant test or check transmission cooler...to see if it is clogged.
That too...makes me wonder why not?

I have had no problems with this lovely well kept bus in over 11k miles .. it has 55k miles
No clunks or slaps in drive train..it runs like a dream. Last year a pinhole in heater core..the original..fixed and driven 5k miles no problem. Oil change and put in a K&N air filter 1k miles ago.

I was in reverse backing the trailer..when it happened first. 2nd time as I say driving 55mph and let off gas after cresting 3rd hill.

Let it cool an hour..drove it back the 14miles under 40mph...no leak no smoke no problems.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:53 AM   #3

I'm no expert on this transmission so we will start with the easy stuff. Do a visual inspection of the trans cooler. Is it clean? Are the fins nice and straight? Is there anything in front of it obstructing airflow? If you need to clean the cooler I do not recommend a pressure washer because the high press water can flatten the fins. If the exterior of the cooler is clean you may have to dig deeper. Write back if this doesn't help and we'll think about the next step.
BTW Pull the trans dipstick and tell me what color the oil is.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
woman fly welcome to irv2 and the Ford forum.
Looks like Andy has got you started you can try this Link if you need to go further.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #5

The previous owner of my 94 Coachmen had a Jasper rebuilt unit put in. I notice on their web site they comment that they install a supplemental cooler, which I see on mine, with their units. Is your fluid level right? I think 300 degrees is too high-I always heard 270 was about max.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #6

Actually, some references I found say 170-200 degrees is normal-yours is getting way too hot. You need to check out, or have checked out, your cooler (transmission radiator) and fan.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I know this one!

One solution to this event would be to install a Banks Trans-Command. You can see it on their website. The TC turns an E4OD from a mush-o-matic into a pretty good gear jammer. Firm shifts translates directly to less slippage which means much reduced opportunity to over heat.

I have used 2 TCs on my past Ford vehicles without having experienced an overheat or fluid loss.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:28 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Three things to ck does trans have an inline filter installed looks like big fuel filter in trans cooler lines,magnafine filter.does trans have a cold bypass a line on side of trans between cooler lines,when cold it bypasses cooler till warm the valve sticks in there sometimes.main trans filter dirty remove pan change oil an filter,when oil gets above 240 deg it gets burnt an no good,remove lines an blow out with air
Old 09-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #9

If the transmission fluid has reached 300* it would only be prudent to lower the pan to check for debris. As was mentioned earlier if the fluid temp exceeds 240* it deteriorates rapidly.

I would bet the leak is from either the seal where the torque converter slides onto the transmission pump shaft or the o-ring that seals the pump to the case. If it's either of these it can be diagnosed without removing the transmission. The downside is the transmission needs to be removed to do the repair.

If they find debris in the pan other than a slight amount of grit from normal clutch wear it's only a matter time before it fails.

I would try either a Ford truck shop or an independent truck shop. If the problem looks serious get an estimate for both rebuilding the current transmission and replacing it with a rebuilt.

Most shops want to go the factory rebuilt route to limit the time they have invested and the possiblity they may have to fix it for free if it returns. A good transmission shop would rather do the work themselves rather than see the money go to a third party.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #10

had it replaced w/ rebuilt in TN in 2007 ..no proiblems since then this transmission is used in many vehicles..even much smaller and lighter vehicles much to my amazement. I had the filter replaced and fluid changed ..debris was not an issue nor did i ever let trans temp get really high...as i have a gauge. as to Ford dealers...that has been useless in my experience..they want $300 for a motor OIL change but want me to wait 2wks for an appointment. Truck service places...ah yes you can luck out ..i have a time or two but they let all the freon out of my perfectly working cab air..to change a heater core. i got the core ordered thru a rad shop for 4x the cost had i bought it myself on line...waited 2 weeks for it to come in ..and besides buggering my ac the freightliner shop charged me $800 to wreck my ac and put in the heater core..which DID NOT REQUIRE ANY OPENING OF AC LINES. I was begging the mechanic to not open the ac system...to no avail. he said oh it is no probelem to refill it. and then couldnt. HAD I BEEN LUCKY...the whole job could have been $100...and not messed up my Frigicool cab air..that does not like R134 ..so be wary..and dont feel you must be in a hurry even if an ice storm is coming. women fly
Old 11-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #11

300 certainly is way too hot. you'll probably appreciate that motorhome manufacturers have no clue about aerodynamics, and even if the the transmission oil from your E4OD is flowing through the cooler, there is likely little air going through it, even if the fins are clean and straight. So you could build a duct to it and see if that helps, and if that isn't enough, you could add a thermostatically controlled fan assisted secondary cooler plumbed after the Ford Cooler.

I'm wondering why it seems to have started doing this. Do you also have a tach installed that could let you check if the Torque converter clutch is still working?

mpaton is offline   Reply With Quote