Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2015, 05:26 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
AC Refrigerant???

2000 F-53 Chassis.

1. What type of AC Refrigerant was used for the DASH AC in this model year? Is there a tag somewhere that shows this? I hope its '34 and not '12.

2, Where is the AC fitting to add refrigerant?

Any suggestions / hints as how to best do this and what to look for so it is done correctly?
I will probably get a can at the auto store and do it myself.

I expect that after 15 years the refrigerang could be 'topped off' to ensure peak performance.

Advise, Please.
Thanks for your time.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 05:50 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
That year should be 134a. The fittings on 134 are larger than 12. The fittings should be under the hood on the right side, they are aluminum in color and have quick disconnect fitting on the end. If you get a recharge kit buy the one with the gauge. You hook up to the smaller port, which is the low pressure side, hook up, start motor, and then open valve, watch gauge it will show how much is in system, you cannot over fill with this simple refill, it will take what it can. good luck
jsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:58 AM   #3

Agree that it should be R-134a. However, AC systems are closed systems and should not need to be "topped off". If the system is not performing correctly it should be looked at by someone familiar with Automotive AC systems.

Too much refrigerant is just as bad as not enough.
kkeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First off, are you actually having performance issues with the dash AC? Poor cooling can be caused by a coolant shutoff valve that is stuck open. Pinch off a heater hose (gently) and see if the dash vents get cooler. If you still have poor cooling, then the system may be low on refrigerant - R134a.

Fittings are most likely at the compressor so pull the doghouse (interior engine cover) and take a look. All that said, kkeever is right in that too much is as bad as not enough. Some folks get lucky by just dumping some in, but proper way is full system evacuation, a check for leaks then refill with precise amount of refrigerant and verified by correct operating pressures.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #5

On my unit they are on the passenger side of the top of the engine and can be accessed through the front of the hood. I think that one is blue and the other is black.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:25 AM   #6

I have a 2000 coachmen on a 99 f53 chassis.
Just added some 134a to mine, first off does it need refrigerant ..and yes it can be low leakage primarily occurs though the compressor seal .. what degree temperature is coming from vents should be around 40 degrees early in morning when outside temperature is not so high outside temperature will have effects on output.

My fitting were on the left. . Just behind the fitting you can see the receiver dryer there is a sight glass in the top of it if there are bubbles in sight glass that is indicated you need refrigerant.

If you're not sure where to hook up charge hose start system and let it run for a few minutes the low pressure line will be cold to the touch. .like has been said get charge can with Guage.

As has been said if the system is too low and requires exssive refridgent the system should be leak tested, repaired ,evacuated then Recharged.
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:27 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol 65 View Post
On my unit they are on the passenger side of the top of the engine and can be accessed through the front of the hood. I think that one is blue and the other is black.
Thanks, Found the AC connectors just where you said they were.

NEXT, can you service the Basement Air the same way?
AND....where are the connectors located for this unit. I have 2 compressors and wonder if each is separate.

Advise, please.
Thanks.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Update

Found the correct fitting.
Started the motor and turned the AC to Max with fan on high
Snapped the gauge on low pressure side and reading was toward the low, in the green.
Added almost 1can of 134 and now with the motor running, the reading goes from about 36 to 40, about the middle of the green on the gauge.
Stopped there. Inside the coach it was about 75 - 80 degrees and the AC was blowing a little cool...not cold. Maybe 65 degrees. I guess this is acceptable since I was sitting and not moving air over the cooler when driving.
I expect that it will cool down when driving. The low pressure pipe was very cold and dripping due to condensation. It seems like everything is working OK.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another Update

Cloudy day, coach temp is about 78 degrees. Checked the AC air temp at the dash outlet...57 degrees.
Seems like the system is doing OK.