Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #15

The guys at ATS helped me tremendously... If I had to do it all over again I would have purchased everything from them... basically I weighed all four corners at a CAT Scale with our travel load including fuel and water... found a scale that I could drive one side on at time so we weighed the left side front and rear... then the right side front and rear... the right rear of our MH was 740 lbs. heavier than the left rear... due to the bedroom slide out... so the available add-a-leaf worked out perfect... and the guys at ATS helped me with all of the other necessary items... u bolts etc... they have everything you need to do it... www.atssprings.com
215-799-0900
Boondockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripntx View Post
How did you determine which add a leaf to purchase?

My 2001 Allegro Bay 36' droops on the left rear. I'm very interested in adding a leaf, as well as the air bags.
To answer your question... from what I could find calling around and online research... there is only one add a leaf spring available... all that I encountered even had the same part number and only two manufacturers make them... not a hard decision to make... I weighed mine to make sure I needed the extra weight capacity or just level it out or just needed to replace a bad spring... mine was 640 lbs heavy on the right rear and it worked out great...
Old 07-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #17

Thanks for the information. BTW, I wrote left but it is actually the right side of my MH which is lower on the rear. Like yours, the bedroom slide is on the right side.
tripntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondockin View Post
Has anyone on here installed an "Add-A-Leaf" on their MH? Mine is a 1999 F53 Chassis... I have read thread after thread and can't find any that have specifically... Found many suggestions on taking it to a spring shop... but no one that has done this to correct the passenger side lean... I installed Firestone helper bags and I'm not getting enough lift out of them to correct the lean... no broken springs or any signs of damage... Haven't weighed four corners separately... I assumed it was heavy on the right rear... I ordered an Add-A-Leaf from SD Truck Springs and was planning on using it in addition to the air bags...
If it is indeed heavier on the right rear... I'm thinking the additional spring capacity is necessary even if it does increase the harshness of the ride...
Thoughts...?
I added front and rear leaves from SD springs , big improvement , better ride and it solve the lean. also 4 new shocks . planning to add a extra shock in the front .
next time for me is buy a Workhorse , good lock ......
mrwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #19

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
New Tires are on!
New Tires... went from "H" to "G" Load Range
I do hope that you meant that you went from load range "G" to load range "H"..
Otherwise you would be going to a lighter & less capacity tire
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I do hope that you meant that you went from load range "G" to load range "H"..
Otherwise you would be going to a lighter & less capacity tire
You are correct... G has less capacity... but they are the correct load range for our MH... we had H on it when we purchased it used... and they are too much for our weight... ride was almost unbearable... plus they were 7 years old and had flat spots in them from sitting for 7 years...

Max weight for our G tires is 4540 lbs on single and 4300 lbs on duals... we have a 20,500 lb chassis... 7000 lb axle upfront and 13,500 lb rear axle...
Old 07-19-2017, 05:15 AM   #21

Quote:
You are correct... G has less capacity... but they are the correct load range for our MH... we had H on it when we purchased it used... and they are too much for our weight... ride was almost unbearable... plus they were 7 years old and had flat spots in them from sitting for 7 years...

Max weight for our G tires is 4540 lbs on single and 4300 lbs on duals... we have a 20,500 lb chassis... 7000 lb axle upfront and 13,500 lb rear axle...

Did you do the add a leaf to both sides of the rear ?
Philswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philswrench View Post
Did you do the add a leaf to both sides of the rear ?
No... right side rear only

We have 3 leaf springs in the left rear and 4 leaf springs on the right rear...