Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #1

Air bags...

has anyone put air bags on all 4 corners with individual controls?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes I installed them on our 1999 but I put a "Y" in the fronts and the backs.
I got their air compressor with the gauges and controls mounted in the dash. When you added air it either filled the fronts or the backs. I installed it as they thought you should. It is used to balance your load and to keep the coach level. As long as you don't have a spring sag it works fine.

Now that I am older and wiser, well at least older I know that their may be times when you'd want to have one side or one corner different than the others. When I install them in the MH this time I'm not going to buy the compressor. That's just way to much $$$ for something that you'll not use very often. I'm going to run all four lines from the air bags to one location probably inside a compartment and where I'll have my portable air compressor. If I need to check or adjust I can do it all from one location. If they need to be different from side to side in case I get a weak spring I can also do that. I don't think once you set the air for your coaches ride comfort that it's worth the expense to get their compressor set up. Once it's set that should be it.

We had the air bags for about 9 years and I never had any leaks from them at all.

TeJay
Old 08-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is what I am doing right now I have the fronts on next is the back then mount tank and compressor and then hook up to the gauge panel which is a four corner setup I sure hope I get what I want out of them
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:34 AM   #4

The main reason is because my coach leans to the passenger side. I have moved everything that I can to the drivers side compartments and even moved stuff inside. I think that just too much stuff was installed on that side.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Firestone Ride-Rites on the rear only. It has helped to level the coach and the ride seems better. We are leaving this weekend for the beach, I want to experiment with the pressure. We have a pancake compressor and can make adjustments pretty easily. I am glad to read TeJay's post that once satisfied he leaves them alone, I opted not to buy the on board compressor functionality due to $$$ but was concerned about what to do when parked...
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
AUPOP,
Here's something else that I forgot to mention concerning installing a "Y" to both fronts or rears. When they are connected together when one is compressed hitting a bump what happens to the pressure??? It goes into the other bag. You hit a bump, the coach moves down compresses the left rear bag and that air rushes into the right rear bag and lifts the coach. It actually amplifies the rocking and rolling of the two air bags. OK now what?? Well you can isolate each bag so they don't affect each other as you travel. Or they actually sell a check valve (they were $100 at one time) which will isolate each bag. I'm going to do as I said earlier and run a separate line to each bag.

maveric65 will have the ideal setup with the on-board compressor and a 4 corner set up. Way to go. I didn't know they had that set up.

TeJay
Old 08-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #7

I have Kelderman system on the front of 2015 Winn 35g. Separate valves. Manual wits hoarder valves in engine compartment.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:14 AM   #8

That should read "schrader" valve. Auto correct does strange things.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:36 AM   #9

Tjay I was going to say that I would not run left and right side together think what happens when you go into a curve
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
AUPOP,
Here's something else that I forgot to mention concerning installing a "Y" to both fronts or rears. When they are connected together when one is compressed hitting a bump what happens to the pressure??? It goes into the other bag. You hit a bump, the coach moves down compresses the left rear bag and that air rushes into the right rear bag and lifts the coach. It actually amplifies the rocking and rolling of the two air bags. OK now what?? Well you can isolate each bag so they don't affect each other as you travel. Or they actually sell a check valve (they were $100 at one time) which will isolate each bag. I'm going to do as I said earlier and run a separate line to each bag.

maveric65 will have the ideal setup with the on-board compressor and a 4 corner set up. Way to go. I didn't know they had that set up.

TeJay
We put the bags on the rear only, and we air each one up individually. The option of running a Y was offered, but we decided to go this way...glad I did now. Looking forward to getting it out this weekend

Thanks for the advice

Bruce
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

TeJay[/QUOTE]

Here is a pic of control panel with dual gauges and 2 needles in each gauge and the 4 air valve paddles for individual control
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aiir ride 2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	71556  
Old 08-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #12

Where did you get that control panel? It looks perfect
Old 08-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00ster View Post
Where did you get that control panel? It looks perfect

I got it off eBay very nice and ready to go just plug in your air lines

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #14

Quick question to all that installed after market air bags. I have 97 Fleetwood on the F-53 chassis. Rides like a hay wagon. Will the air bags improve my ride? Which product do you recommend. Easiest to install, etc.
txrv2 is offline   Reply With Quote