Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2017, 10:39 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Air bags

Ok. My 1999 Dolphin shows remnants of airbags on the rear axles. They are gone and no sign of any air lines or compressors.

Question: Replace rear air bags??????

Install air bags on front axle????

I have the dreaded passenger side lean and want to add air bags to rectify.

Thanks.
yn1bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
New springs? Maybe it's time. They do tend to sag after time, considering they are pretty well loaded all the time. Good luck.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yn1bennett View Post

I have the dreaded passenger side lean and want to add air bags to rectify.
I've had that passenger side lean since it was new as have many other owners of MH's (of all makes) on the F53 chassis. Have never really had an explanation of why this happens......
Old 01-27-2017, 09:40 PM   #4

First I inquired about changing springs..........1600.00 per side (I'm in Canada, see how we're gouged). I think not!
I installed front bags...what a change. Front is level. Each side has it's own pressure. Improved ride, cornering feel and eliminated general wallowing feel. Last year I installed bags in the rear. Now my ride is level, rides better and feels better. Total investment for me was 1100.00. Did it myself in 2 afternoons. Plan on adding gages and air compressor this year.
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
As I have said in the past, I am a BIG fan of airbags on the F53. Rubber absorbs vibrations and steel transmits them. Go with airbags and you will be able to level according to load and component wear. The ride will improve and the small imperfections in the highway will go away. The two foot potholes will still jar your fillings out, but the small holes will be taken care of.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Air Bags

Thank you guys and gals for your input.
The front bags are on their way.
I suspected that air bags were installed but were removed and not replaced on the rear. I will think seriously about installing the rear bags again.
I'm hoping that the front bags will work ok.
I'll let all know when they arrive and are installed.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Air bags

I got underneath my Dolphin to see about installing the front air bags. Looks easier than it is. All of the bolts and nuts are rusted pretty bad. I have stuff to put on them to help loosen them up, but, I don't think it will be too bad. Too much for me.
I've got a mobile tech that will install them, when he gets back to me.

Also, the bolts on the tag axle shocks look pretty much rusted also. So, I think replacing them will be a good thing.

Anyone else ever replaced or had their tag axle shocks replaced?
Did it help any (the ride quality)?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Air bags

Ok. Installed the front air bags from Air Lift this past Sunday. What a difference.
The old Passenger Lean that seems to plague all of the Ford F53 Chassis is (on my coach anyway) is the front Leaf Springs have leveled out. I have no arch in my Passenger Side Leaf Springs. Driver Side has a slight arch but nothing to write home over.

So, with the new air bags installed, I aired them up Sunday and leveled the front of my coach perfectly. Haven't had time to drive yet, so I hope these will take care of the little bumps that seemed to rattle my insides.

I also installed new Shocks on the Tag Axle. The old ones look as if they came originally on this unit and I could move them effortlessly after I removed them. The replacements are gas shocks, so hopefully, this will also help on the comfort part of the install.

As I have said, I have not had time to drive it yet, but I intend on doing this this afternoon when I get home from work.

Will keep informed on how it rides and handles now with the install.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Air Bags

Well. Did I do something wrong? The drive was just about the way it was before the air bag install. Seems to vibrate or shake at the smallest bump in the road.
Now seems to hit the same bumps but is more bouncy. I'm at wits end.

New shocks and newly installed air bags. Ride still seems the same. Every little bump transmits vibrations into the cab area.

How can I get rid of the vibrations? Or do I have to live with them?

I know the leaf springs are sagging but I thought the air bags would do away with all of the vibrations when hitting smaller bumps. The big bumps I know I would feel no matter what. But the small bumps?????

Any ideas? Maybe, like I said above, I have the air bags installed wrong (I followed directions perfectly)????

Thanks.........disappointed.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:28 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Post some pictures of your install so we can all see if there are any issues. It's a fairly install but one never knows.

Two other items will effect everything, the tire and air bag pressures. We had a 1999 34 footer with front and rear air bags. I ended up with about 25 lbs of pressure in the fronts and about 40 or 50 in the rear. That was for us a good compromise.

At that time the on-board compressor was not to expensive so I did that. Also when installing the bags it is advisable to run separate lines to each bag so when one is compressed on a bump it does not effect others that are attached to it by air. That's one thing that i did not do correctly. There was a "T" in the fronts and in the rears. When I filled the fronts or rears they were both the same. I could fill fronts different from the rears but not from side to side.

Lastly what is the brand of shock that you used?? If as you say you could easily compress the old ones then since they were rally bad maybe what you are feeling is your shocks. The valving on the shock controls the stiffness of the leaf springs.

One recommendation is to always perform only one MOD at a time so you can evaluate how your rig responded. If you do more than one then you can't properly compare each MOD.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would suspect tires, pressure or condition or even brand an type.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by yn1bennett View Post
Well. Did I do something wrong? The drive was just about the way it was before the air bag install. Seems to vibrate or shake at the smallest bump in the road.
Now seems to hit the same bumps but is more bouncy. I'm at wits end.

New shocks and newly installed air bags. Ride still seems the same. Every little bump transmits vibrations into the cab area.

How can I get rid of the vibrations? Or do I have to live with them?

I know the leaf springs are sagging but I thought the air bags would do away with all of the vibrations when hitting smaller bumps. The big bumps I know I would feel no matter what. But the small bumps?????

Any ideas? Maybe, like I said above, I have the air bags installed wrong (I followed directions perfectly)????

Thanks.........disappointed.
What kind of pressure are you running in the bags? Most people run around 22 to 26 pounds. What pressure are you running in the front tires? Check the placard by the drivers seat. It should be around 85 psi.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Air Bags

I'm running 85 to 90 psi in front tires as the plaquard states 85 psi for fronts.

Air bags....still playing around. Anywhere from 30 to 100 psi (only front air bags installed). Seems as though they raise the front of the coach but doesn't help with the bumps. Makes the riders up front more bouncy.

Had front-end alignment done and the sway bars in front and rear turned around to help with the swaying. 30 mph winds...didn't help much.

Double-Coin tires all around. Should I change the fronts? Seems as though when it hits bumps (small or medium), as if the whole dash and front of the unit is coming off. Just that it seems like the tires are going into a two foot pot hole in the road.

Help!!!
Old 02-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #14

I believe you a
Have to much air in your bags. Try setting them to just where they start to pick your camper. Should be around 20 to 25 lbs.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote