Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2019, 06:26 PM   #43

Whatever....

The section of I-70 from Denver to Moab is at a sufficient elevation that you have a serious loss of engine power due to the lower amount of oxygen available to your engine. Just like an airplane that flies out of those airports out west has a longer take off roll and less climbing ability.

The engine may have a limiter on it, but unless it is turbocharged you are going to experience this loss in power.

My Itasca class C Impulse had the V-10 and I remember going up and over the Big Horn Mtns in Wyoming SLOWLY! Got to see a lot of scenery I can assure you as we were climbing at about 35 mph...
MarcM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2019, 06:57 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't think anyone has told about the pucker detector that is in the driver seat. When a high pucker factor is detected it shuts down the accelerometer. If that is not it then the sanity cutoff switch must have been activated.

Slow down and smell the roses.
AimHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:15 PM   #45

We purchased a 2013 Newmar Baystar new in 13. A few months later installed a Five Star tune which helps with the shift points and keeps the RPM’s down. I never noticed any speed limiter before or after the tune. I seen 80 to 85 mph for a sort spurt several times, but never cruised that fast. 65 mph seemed like the sweet spot speed to cruise.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:07 PM   #46

[moderator edit]

I have a full-time job just minding my own business.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:18 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Mine is governed at 77. Ive only hit it a couple times when passing. I thought about trying to defeat it, but decided to just keep that in mind when planning to pass. Generally I cruise under 65 anyway. I get 9mpg at 60! But the thought of a “war switch” is somewhat appealing....
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:08 PM   #48

At 75mph your speed limiter kicks in and you should notice a buzzer alert and a red idiot light flashing in the command module.
Buck Wheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:08 AM   #49

One other thing...

Again, not strictly a speed limiter item, but as someone who has put a lot of miles on the V-10 in my Itasca Impulse, at higher rpm's that engine is a gas hog!

At 75 mph, you can expect to get less than 8 mpg, while at 60-65 you can get over 9 mpg. Just a data point for those who are interested.
MarcM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:20 AM   #50

Thank Heaven for limiters for people who want to exceed a safe speed! It's not like your on the autobahn in a Mercedes
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:51 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
[moderator edit]

I have a full-time job just minding my own business.
Hahaha, like he did not know what he asked he most likely trolling you

Like duh I’m passing at 72 mph duh and at WOT duh and it does not go any faster duh thank goodness for people like us that have a part time keeping up with other people’s business hahaha

Zzotte
Old 03-29-2019, 06:52 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Thank Heaven for limiters for people who want to exceed a safe speed! It's not like your on the autobahn in a Mercedes

I’ve been on the Autobahn with my Monaco Windsor (and at different times my MB).
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:08 AM   #53

Forest River Owners Club
Our 2014 V10 34' Georgetown is speed limited at 75. I don't need to do any faster than that anyway,
jlkrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #54

In my 2006 CL C with the v-10 I just changed my engine parameters with 5 star's tunner. My stock setting for speed limit was 85mph and I lowered it to 80mph. It was adjustable in 5mph increments. I also lowered my rev limiter to 5000rpm, that is adjustable in 100rpm increments. I also changed my revolutions per mile on my tires since I went up a size. There are several other parameters that can be adjusted with this tunner but would require a lot more testing and more than likely hinder performance unless certain engine modifications were done.
emtieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
Thank you for getting the post back on topic.

It was my understanding that the F53 V10 was speed limited to 75 MPH, but I can't recall where I came to that understanding. Perhaps the collective wisdom on irv2? It's not mentioned in my owner's manual. I also can't recall if I ever tried to exceed 75 prior to installing a 5 Star Tune, which removes any factory speed limiter. That's not something you have to ask for, it's just part of any of their tunes. With the tune, there have been a few occasions where I've briefly touched 80, so it apparently works.

I wasn't sure either, and then I actually looked in the Ford F53 manual that came with my '06 Sunova.

Page 52: "Vehicle speed is limited to 75 mph (120 km/h)"
thebigphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:58 PM   #56

Freightliner Owners Club
You gotta be kidding, right?
Sweengolly is offline   Reply With Quote