Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All V-10 MHs 75 MPH Speed Limiter?

I"m on my first long trip from Denver to Moab and UT has 80 MPH speed limit.

Went to pass a truck doing about 70 or 72 and noticed the gas pedal was non responsive. I thought, what's going on? Engine went to limp mode?

I hate that when someone passes me and sits right beside me.
I finally got round him but realized later the engine had power but at 75 MPH , it was done.

My Workhorse motorhome had a 80 MPH speed limiter but it rang out in the IP that said "Vehicle Speed Limit"

Do all Ford V-10 motohomes have a 75 MPH speed limit and ; I guess that's not adjustable?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 09:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
with a tuner, all is adjustable, but maybe it's because your tire speed rating is 75 and they programmed it to limit it ?
Old 03-17-2019, 09:59 PM   #3

What are you doing driving that fast?

It is a MH not a sports car.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's based on tire speed rating
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well for one thing, what the heck are you doing trying to g that fast in the first place???????
You aren't driving a race car. Now as far as speed limited, I'm not sure but I have been faster than 75 on occasion and when I realized I was going that fast I set the cruz to 63 and set back and enjoyed the view.
You are supposed to be enjoying yourself, that means taking in the view. At 75 it's all a blur and you miss this great wonderful country. There is sooooo much to see so slow down and enjoy it. If yo have to get there in a hurry, then you aren't taking it easy, so why drive the Motorhome? Fly or drive the Minivan
Old 03-18-2019, 04:24 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Do all Ford V-10 motorhomes have a 75 MPH speed limit and ; I guess that's not adjustable?
Yes all Ford V-10s, or at least all V-10s installed on a F-53 chassis, have an electronic speed limiter and no it is adjustable by reprogramming the ECU.

Since you found it just leave it and adjust your driving habits. It's a nice feature that helps us get to where we're going without having to think about if we sent in the renewal payment for the Emergency Road Service. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:04 AM   #7

Please SLOW DOWN, trust me the tires are not going to live long at that speed especially on a MH.

Think about the other folks on the road....
Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:15 AM   #8

Hmmm. 75 mph limiter . . .

Drag ya for a beer?
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
The governor shouldn't kick in until 80 MPH. The lack of power you were experiencing may have been due to a steep uphill grade combined with high elevation and/or a strong headwind.

Everyone knows going uphill requires more power but what a lot of people don't realize is that at higher elevations your engine is putting out less power due to the thinner air being less dense and therefore having less oxygen.
CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:30 AM   #10

Unbelievable. The guy asked a simple question and all he gets is grief about how fast he "SHOULD" be driving. His coach, his choice. Answer his question if you know and if not keep your opinions on how fast HE should drive to yourself unless they are asked for.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Do all Ford V-10 motohomes have a 75 MPH speed limit and ; I guess that's not adjustable?
Yes, I believe so. I asked 5-Star about this a couple years ago. They said they could modify this on special request.

To date, I haven't run up against this limit, so I've never been compelled to modify it.

As a Pilot, I generally don't like software limits on my flight controls. In the F16, there was a "WAR" switch that would disable all limits and safeguards.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Unbelievable. The guy asked a simple question and all he gets is grief about how fast he "SHOULD" be driving. His coach, his choice. Answer his question if you know and if not keep your opinions on how fast HE should drive to yourself unless they are asked for.

Pegman1, Weeeellllll, actually I disagree with the "His coach, his choice" theory, when you're dealing with safety issues . . . If he is wanting to drive faster than his tires are rated for, or faster than conditions for a multi 10,000 lb rig, possibly pulling a toad,

the "His coach, his choice" could very well become "His coach, MY LIFE" . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post

That's a risk of asking a question on a public forum... you might get a dose of opinion along with facts and pseudo-facts.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #14

My stock F-53 V10 has no limiter.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote