Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Question Alternator Charging vs. Genset ??

Hello Everyone....Happy Easter &/or Spring Break, whichever you celebrate!

I am wondering, since I am not a 'gear head', but do have some auto engine knowledge, new to RVing...

Does the engine (V10, 2004) alternator put out more of a charge to the batteries than just running the generator??

And B). Does the alternator put out more volts/stronger going down the highway at 55mph vs. around town at 30-40mph??

Thanks for the help....as ALWAYS !

Geno in St. Pete, FL

geno-heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello gino-heidi,

Your year Ford MH should have a 130 amp alternator or better. I don't think there will be much difference in amp output between around town or freeway driving. The output is mostly controlled by the state of charge (or discharge) of your chassis/house batteries. The alternator will charge both while driving.

How the batteries charge on shore power or genset is a whole different thing. Your rig should have a voltage converter/charger that will charge your batteries when plugged into shore power or when using the genny. The maximum charging amps will be limited to the type and size converter you have. Most stock set up's will have somewhere around a 45 amp converter/charger.

I would suggest finding out what model and amp rating converter you have. You should have a 3 stage converter that will maintain your batteries at 3 different charge levels, depending on the state of charge of the battery bank.

Hope this helps,

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #3

It all depends on which "batteries" you're talking about. On our Adventurer the alternator charges both the chassis and house batteries. The generator and shore power however only charge the house batteries unless you manually push the switch on the dash that connects them all.
Newer coaches are similar but incorporate a trickle charger that keeps the chassis battery charged to the same level as the house batteries when on shore power or generator. The charger must detect the presence of generator or shore power before it charges the chassis battery.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #4

I think that as a general rule, the fastest way to charge the batteries is with the alternator. As long as the engine is above idle, the charging rate should be about the same at any RPM.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thanks for the replies.....very helpful! :-)
I did not know which was stronger, more efficient....my alternator and converter charges both batts on shore and genny power......
I will check the model #/size of my converter-charger....it was just replaced by dealer.
Just did not know if hi-way speeds were any significant difference from local traffic-light
Driving, as far as charging was concerned.....
Thanks for the tips....and the help
geno-heidi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, charging