Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #1

Another 2003 F53 ABS Question

So before everyone says do a search I have and the more i read t he more confused i get. Here is the info. 2003 F53. Bought the unit used in June. Drove it a few times with a few hundred miles and no issues. On the way to a campsite last month a person pulled out in front of us and I had to hard brake. the ABS light went on after this. When i got home I came to the forum and one item was brake fluid level. I checked that and found it pretty low. I filled it however then the curousity of why it was so low got to me and i went all thru the brakes. I found the passengers brake pad had completely disintegrated and was steel on the rotor. I replaced the pads on both front wheels only to find the Caliper bad also. After replacing the caliper I did a test drive and the ABS light stayed on. I tried cleaning both sensors with a paper towel where i could reach them but to no avail.

More searching referred to a rear sensor but dont see anything on either wheel. I have driven the motor home a couple thousand miles since and the light is still on steady.

So at this point is there a way to "reset" the system to see if it comes back or do i need to start replacing items. It looks like the front ABS sensors cost about $125.00 each and really hate to replace both of them just to try something.

I am not overly concerned with it being on but in NYS it wont pass inspection like that.

Thoughts ? What scanner tool will allow me to look at a code or isn't it possible ?
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 05:58 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I believe Ford uses proprietary software to access the ABS system codes. You rear ABS is a single sensor mounted on top of the differential. They often go bad, cheaper than the front sensors too. The sensors pick up a magnetic signal from the slotted or stepped disk, cleaning with a paper towel doesn't do anything to improve that signal.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I believe Ford uses proprietary software to access the ABS system codes. You rear ABS is a single sensor mounted on top of the differential. They often go bad, cheaper than the front sensors too. The sensors pick up a magnetic signal from the slotted or stepped disk, cleaning with a paper towel doesn't do anything to improve that signal.
OK All. Today we finally had sun in Central New York and I pulled the Motor Home onto the driveway to do oil changes and to install the ABS sensor folks told me I needed for the rear. Went to Advance Auto and they only listed 1 part number for the 2003 F53. Well when i got home I crawled under to install and there is NO ABS sensor on the rear axle in the center. I did find a plug on the acle (2 wire) that connects to a cable that runs all the way to the passengers side wheel. It appears similar to the ABS sensor in the front and nothing close to what I purchased. So my question is has anyone else seen this type of arrangement ?

I can almost be certain that bolt is gonna snap right off.

Any other ideas of what could cause the ABS light to stay on ?
Old 04-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #4

This is the part from Advanced Auto.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:16 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This maybe of interest.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/fyi-o...10-285798.html
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:05 AM   #6

In the 2002 model year the F53 got a new 4 channel ABS system. the previous system only had 3 channels. The 3 channel systems have a single sensor on the rear axle, on the differential. The 4 channel ones have a sensor at each wheel, you found the wires going to them.

Pull the code, and work from there. No point in replacing good parts.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
In the 2002 model year the F53 got a new 4 channel ABS system. the previous system only had 3 channels. The 3 channel systems have a single sensor on the rear axle, on the differential. The 4 channel ones have a sensor at each wheel, you found the wires going to them.

Pull the code, and work from there. No point in replacing good parts.
Thanks for the clarification, my info was obviously wrong about the '03 chassis. I agree, throwing parts at it is never an efficient repair strategy.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Head back to Advance Auto and ask if they have a code reader that will drill down into the Ford based ABS system. The normal shade tree mechanic reader usually won't pull codes from the ABS and some transmissions but the higher end models will.

Daughter's x-boyfriend was a mechanic that had a $2K Snap On Reader that was able to drill into my 98 Honda Accord Transmission that showed me when each shift solenoid was active and what each the pressure transducers was reporting when I was chasing a shift problem that turned out to be a worn out second gear clutch pack.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #9

I drove for a year, with the ABS light on, until I got to my brothers house and his expensive code reader.

I had tried, by buying and returning, 4 different, each more expensive, code readers that said they read ABS codes. None of them worked on my 2000 E450.

You just need the right ( expensive ) code reader to get the codes.

Mine needed the rear diff sensor, just like in the picture. $18.00. The reader also reset the code.

If you need the info on the code reader, I can get the brand and model of his reader.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:22 AM   #10

Well advance nor any of the local stores apparently have a code reader to read ABS. If anyone knows of a reasonable unit I can purchase online I'll order one. I dont care about the light, however in New York it wont pass the vehicle inspection process with it on and needs fixed by end of June. I really have no interest to pay a dealer over $1000.00 for something i can fix. I agree throwing parts at it is not the right way but unless i can determine which one is bad I am in the dark. Being many folks mentioned the rear i figured $20 was a cheap try. The other ones for the front are $125.00 each.

Is there any way to test a sensor ? Ohms ?

The light was off until a hard braking as noted. Since replacing the brakes and filling the fluid it stops fine and has no issues just has this pesky light.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, the sensor can be checked with an ohmmeter.

You'll have to also check the wiring to the ABS control module and the module's proper operation. Often the sensors get cooked by heat from a dragging brake or excessive braking. A melted or distorted sensor is a sign of this.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #12

According to my brother, we used this code reader on my 1999 E450 ABS system.

After replacing the rear sender, that it said was bad, the light remained on, until we reset it thru the code reader.

No guarantees it will work for you.

https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA2VF1ER7479
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:15 AM   #13

Thanks all. It rained yesterday and today it supposed to be clear so i'll crawl under it and check. I am guessing it is the front as that is the one that had the issues. Hopefully once i figure out which sensor I'll be able to get the bolt out without it breaking off...
Old 04-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #14

Update: So today I crawled under the motor home and disconnected each sensor and tested with a multi meter. Both front and the right rear all are within a couple hundred ohms. Left rear appears open as I got no reading at all. Local stores wanted over $100, so ordered it from Rock Auto for $60. I also sprayed the bolt although I am guessing its going to snap. Does anyone know what kind of bolt they use ? Is it hardened ? I guess I can throw a little heat on it as the sensor is bad anyway, but really worried it will break. Wish they used stainless

We are off to Bristol TN Thursday so will need to fix when i return, but prior to Charlotte in May.

Tags
abs, f53