Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Another 5 Star Tune Question recent install

I just installed 5 Star Tune and we left for a few days to go to a favorite CC of ours about 1.5hrs. away so we're familiar with the roads, over passes etc. Prior to the install whenever we started to climb over an overpass—not really steep but so, so) our MH would down shift climb to about 2200 rpm's or so get over the climb then back into drive and settle in at about 1600 rpm's. Cruise control is on. So after installing 5 Star Tune it acted the exact same way.

So my question is: I thought I read here that once 5 Star Tune is installed all that downshifting stuff for the most part went away, and several people said & I quote "finally I can use my cruise control again". Did I not read right, am I missing something or expecting to much?

BTW....I love the way our MH handles overall, very easy to drive, but I just thought that this downshifting—especially with small to medium rises in the highway would stop. Help me out here please.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #2

I recall that on some installations, maybe all, it doesn't help with the big down shift in Cruise Control. You need to cancel it for the hills.

See if 5 Star has a FAQ section.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #3

While you were driving without the cruise, did you notice any difference in the shifting? Perhaps the tune didn't actually get downloaded and you need to do it again.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:17 AM   #4

Hmmmm, I noticed a huge difference after the install.
First I would check to see if the install completed correctly.
Also check tow/haul mode on/off.
The biggest difference on the highways is the lack of 5 to 3 downshift on the smallest upgrades. It used to do that annoying downshift even on flat ground and a small overpass.
I do agree it performs better on any upgrade when it is not in cruise control.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:29 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try it without the cruise on.

We have 5 Star and noticed a difference for the better with the shift points just where you want to see them - - at slight upgrades such as an overpass.

Even in mountain driving, we noticed a difference. But all without the cruise control on.

Also, give 5 Star Tunes a call or email, I have g=found them to be more than helpful.

Good luck...

g
Old 12-26-2016, 06:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I recall that on some installations, maybe all, it doesn't help with the big down shift in Cruise Control. You need to cancel it for the hills.

See if 5 Star has a FAQ section.
+1 We have driven all through the western national parks and the Pacific coast range with 5 star. I think CC just pours on too much throttle too quickly, trying to maintain the set speed when going up a hill. If on CC, I will put my foot on the gas pedal and punch "resume" just as I start up a hill. For my motorhome this shuts off CC. I hold the pedal steady or slightly increase foot pressure and let the speed drop a couple mph. With that, I can chug on up surprising hills without a downshift, or at most a downshift of just one gear. Once at the top, I punch "resume" again and the CC comes back on. With CC on it will downshift once if needed going downhill to maintain steady speed ... no brake taps required. With tow/haul on it behaves in a similar manner but shifts are more defined. If I am looking at the start of a really steep downhill, I make sure tow/haul is on and start down at a slow speed ... no CC. I then rely on firm brake taps to downshift. I try not to let the tachometer get too high before the next brake tap ... if you get the engine spinning too fast it will not downshift another gear. The popular guideline works well for me ... start down at the slowest speed you had going up. Use brake taps to control speed and don't go off tow/haul until you can see the bottom!

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
gorwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #7

I suppose the truth is in the details.

5 Star Tune does not help the 5 - 3 downshift while using Cruise Control.

As an big fan of Cruise Control, I would be very disappointed.

I'm used to the big downshift with the old 4 speed.
The only time I use the gas pedal is when the speed has dropped to under 45 mph and then I floor it. It forces a downshift, to attempt to maintain that speed. If the DW is talking, she stops, knowing I can't hear her.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #8

Ditto on Gary's post. We just installed on our 2015 chassis and drove from Sacramento to Eugene Oregon through multiple passes. Later part with a toad. Cruise is useless on really steep climbs (as it should be) but now a pleasure on rolling hills. My mileage appears to have increased 5-10%, too soon to be more specific. Love it and find 5 Star very responsive to customers. The Ford OE program was terrible.
marc nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Try it without the cruise on.

We have 5 Star and noticed a difference for the better with the shift points just where you want to see them - - at slight upgrades such as an overpass.

Even in mountain driving, we noticed a difference. But all without the cruise control on.

Also, give 5 Star Tunes a call or email, I have g=found them to be more than helpful.

Good luck...

g
OP follow up...
Reinstalled program to make sure it installed correctly. Tried it with CC off and it worked fine with my foot on the gas going over, over passes and maintaining the same RPM's. But with CC on, the engine still climbed about 500 rpm's more or so going over them. So for the next hour or so, I kinda got in the rhythm of figuring out how and when to use CC and when not to use it and found it very useful and smooth. I do agree with everyone else though on the shifting. I used to actually feel the MH jerking just a little as it shifted into each gear. Now, it's just smooth and silky.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:10 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
OP follow up...
Reinstalled program to make sure it installed correctly. Tried it with CC off and it worked fine with my foot on the gas going over, over passes and maintaining the same RPM's. But with CC on, the engine still climbed about 500 rpm's more or so going over them. So for the next hour or so, I kinda got in the rhythm of figuring out how and when to use CC and when not to use it and found it very useful and smooth. I do agree with everyone else though on the shifting. I used to actually feel the MH jerking just a little as it shifted into each gear. Now, it's just smooth and silky.
You have the older V10 with the older 4 speed, I think, transmission. So your experience with the 5 star tune will be different than those of us with the 5 speed and even the 6 speed transmission.
I had installed it in my 2002 Suncruiser and it made driving it much much better. It would hold gear slightly longer before dropping down to 3rd or 2nd gear. It would drop out of OD (500RPM's) but still hold the other gears longer.
I have noticed with the 5 speed it works OK thru the hills hear in Oregon even with the cruise control set, but I do have the Tow/Haul engaged.
I have used it to travel across country and have caught myself keeping up with traffic 70+ and had to slow down and set the CC because of it.
I have not noticed any difference in MPG's but I don't really expect any due to moving an aerodynamic barn down the road.

Personally what you should feel is that it is bit faster off the line, it doesn't take as much pedal to get it up to speed and the it holds gears a bit longer when up shifting and down shifting.
But that's just my opinion.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:44 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
OP follow up...
Great!

Yes - - in the "Hills" you have to figure out a little more throttle control.

Glad it is working.......Happy New Year!

g
Old 01-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
You have the older V10 with the older 4 speed, I think, transmission. So your experience with the 5 star tune will be different than those of us with the 5 speed and even the 6 speed transmission.
I had installed it in my 2002 Suncruiser and it made driving it much much better. It would hold gear slightly longer before dropping down to 3rd or 2nd gear. It would drop out of OD (500RPM's) but still hold the other gears longer.
I have noticed with the 5 speed it works OK thru the hills hear in Oregon even with the cruise control set, but I do have the Tow/Haul engaged.
I have used it to travel across country and have caught myself keeping up with traffic 70+ and had to slow down and set the CC because of it.
I have not noticed any difference in MPG's but I don't really expect any due to moving an aerodynamic barn down the road.

Personally what you should feel is that it is bit faster off the line, it doesn't take as much pedal to get it up to speed and the it holds gears a bit longer when up shifting and down shifting.
His sig says he has a 2012, definitely a 5 speed.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post

I have a 5 speed.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:58 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK I got my years wrong, too much Nog. But you should definitely feel the need to use less pedal to get to speed and it should work fine with the CC on. It should hold the gears longer before down shifting. I do however kick CC off when heading up some hills because it does hold the gear the longer then down shifts too far and starts screaming like a banshee to make it up. I just "use the foot" to keep in a nice gear and make it to the top.

Tags
install