RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #1

Another tire pressure question.....

Just looking to verify my conclusions in regards to my tire pressures. Here are all the specs:
2018 Fleetwood Southwind 37H on a 24K chassis.
Michelin 255/80 R22.5 XRV tires
At the last CAT scale weight in I had:
7940 lbs on the front axle and 15200 lbs on the rear (dual tires). 23140 total

If i read the Michelin pressure guide correctly I should be running
75 psi front and 85 psi rear.

sound right?

sfergie631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfergie631 View Post
Just looking to verify my conclusions in regards to my tire pressures. Here are all the specs:

sound right?
85 front. 95 rear would be my choice.

Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:11 AM   #3

Thanks
Old 01-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
85 front. 95 rear would be my choice.
Why recommend 10 PSI OVER what the published Michelin table recommends? 75 PSI will support 8140 lbs for a single wheel while 85 will support 16160 lbs for a dual configuration. Both well over his current load and together will support 300 pounds beyond the chassis GVWR. Maybe 5 PSI to cover fluctuations due to air temperature or coach loading but 10 is way too much and will affect ride comfort.

https://www.michelintruck.com/michel...-inflation.pdf
Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Location: Livingston, TX - This is our legal domicile/home base as we are FTers and travel around the country.
Quote:
sound right?
Yes but may I add...

I'm assuming that you had a full tank of fuel, holding tanks were empty, maybe 1/3 tank of fresh water, full propane, and all necessary gear and personnel on board when you weighed.

I can't see your Michelin pressure guide like you can, but if that's what it says then I'd go 5psi over each front & rear recommendations and you'll be good. The rule of thumb is 5% over the charts. It allows for some temp fluctuation and possible weight creep. Just monitor your TPMS for your cold pressure readings before you pull out each time and if you're within that range you're good.

If you boon dock and add additional fresh water etc, you'll have to adjust psi appropriately. Not much but some.

Every 3K miles or so, crawl under the chassis and just take a look at your tires and see if they are wearing evenly.

It's good to see another RVer taking weight, tires and proper PSI seriously. It's one of the most important things I monitor all the time.
TEAM Martin & Joanie (Full Timers, RVM#181)
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First things first ,get a accurate tire pressure gauge ,I have seen some over 10psi wrong I just bought this 4 months ago and it is dead on with dealers 120 buck snap on
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check this out at Amazon.com
Etekcity Digital Tire Pressure... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1M74CP...p_mob_ap_share
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #8

Quote:

sound right?

If you've got Michelin tires. Other brands may require different pressures... 😀
DodgersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:37 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK I have a question, what does Fleetwood say the pressure should be in the tires? All have forgotten that the MH MFG is the boss in this situation. The tires are made with a max inflation period, on the sidewall and yes they have a guide that helps when you don't know what the MH MFG wants but you should go with want the MH MFG wants first and then then take into consideration what the tire mfg guide states , unless the MH MFG has you going over the max tire pressure. Then the MH MFG should install different rated tires.
This all goes back to FORD and Michelin on the Ford Explorer and the rollover issue. Just because the sidewall says one thing does not mean you should be running at that pressure. The tires were made to be run on various MH's and chassis so they pressure may differ between them. Running too much or too little pressure will cause the vehicle to handle differently than designed and tested.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #10

The only spec that FW mentions is max pressure for max load. There is nothing for less than that.
100psi both front and back with max load. At that pressure the coach literally bounces down the road.
IMHO Michelin would never publish a pressure chart if their data was not accurate
Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM   #11

Quote:

sound right?
76 F 80 R is in spec. However depending how much side to side roll your coach has this will increase loads on the lean side. My Tiffin 32 SA has minimal roll due to chassis tuning. This allows me to run lower pressure and have a smoother ride and better straight line tracking.

My tire pressures are now 82 F 80 R. My coach was fully loaded fuel,water and 1/2 full grey and 1/3 black tanks upon cat scale weigh.
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
76 F 80 R is in spec. However depending how much side to side roll your coach has this will increase loads on the lean side. My Tiffin 32 SA has minimal roll due to chassis tuning. This allows me to run lower pressure and have a smoother ride and better straight line tracking.

My tire pressures are now 82 F 80 R. My coach was fully loaded fuel,water and 1/2 full grey and 1/3 black tanks upon cat scale weigh.

Thanks!,

Tags
tire pressure