Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #1

Antifreeze

I'm on a trip in West Texas and my antifreeze bottle went dry. This is a 2011 V10 with 10000 miles. It took 2 gallons of antifreeze to get the bottle to the full line. There are no coolant leaks. The oil is clear with no water evidence. There is no white smoke coming out the exhaust. I'm leaning towards a head gasket problem which may only happen under heavy loads. I would appreciate any thoughts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
I'm on a trip in West Texas and my antifreeze bottle went dry. This is a 2011 V10 with 10000 miles. It took 2 gallons of antifreeze to get the bottle to the full line. There are no coolant leaks. The oil is clear with no water evidence. There is no white smoke coming out the exhaust. I'm leaning towards a head gasket problem which may only happen under heavy loads. I would appreciate any thoughts.
The most likely culprit is the lower radiator hose. Check for stains of dried antifreeze/water around the lower hose connection to the radiator. For several years Ford used spring loaded clamps rather than screw clamps. They have a tendency to leak over time when the engine is hot and the radiator is under pressure. Once everything cools off there are usually no obvious drips or puddles under the vehicle.

If you find a leak check all the clamps on all the hoses including the heater hoses to the Motoraid heater and the under floor coach heater.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #3

All the clamps are tight. No antifreeze residue. Will drive 300 miles tomorrow & recheck.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Radiator cap. Often neglected. The bottom seal may still hold pressure but the top seal leak can leak coolant, and is usually undetected. It is a yearly maintenance item often missed. The main symptom is low coolant reservoir level.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Arrow

Start the engine first thing in the morning and let it idle and watch closely under the engine and radiator for leaks that can occur as the cold cooling system pressure slowly builds as the engine temperature slowly increases to operating temperature.

You can check the radiator coolant recovery jug for the proper cold level of coolant before you start the engine and again immediately when you stop driving it should be higher up in the jug and by the next morning it should again be at the lower level. If this action of the coolant is correct, the radiator cap should be operating properly.
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #6

Well the leak finally showed its nasty head. It is coming from the hot water heat exchanger. Decided to bypass the engine heat portion of the hot water heater, which wasn't very efficient, and eliminate the leak.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Well the leak finally showed its nasty head. It is coming from the hot water heat exchanger. Decided to bypass the engine heat portion of the hot water heater, which wasn't very efficient, and eliminate the leak.
My Motoraid heat exchanger on the water heater is very efficient. I would have it fixed under warranty. That engine coolant also feeds the motoraid heater that heats the motor home while driving.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"It is coming from the hot water heat exchanger"

What's that? I'm assuming it's some way of heating the hot water you use in the RV and not something engine related?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #9

Quote:
While that might be a good short term fix I would repair it for the lomg run. The motoraid portion of the water heater is also used to help cool the engine. You probably won't notice the difference until you have a long hard uphill pull towing something or drive for a few hours in 90*+ heat..

If it hasn't been very efficient I would bet there is an air lock in the system. Ours heats the water to the point that the gas or electric portion of the heater won't come on for several hours after we're set up for the evening.