Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 08:22 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Any recommendations for a shop in the SF Bay Area?

I need to do whatever it takes to modify my new RV so that I am not scared by how it handles. I need to find a really good local shop to modify my 2015 F-53 to add a track bar to the rear, anti-sway bar and
Safe-T-Plus or Steer Safe or something similar.

I just finished driving my new Sunova 33C towing my Jeep across country from Forest City, Iowa to Walnut Creek, CA near San Francisco. I must say that it was white knuckle time for me, hour after hour, day after day, with my RV being moved around by trucks, even some pickups. I felt like I had to constantly correct the steering. Particularly unpleasant for me was the very last section of freeway from 80 to 680 with the large sign warning of heavy cross-winds--it was really scary and fully lived up to the warning. I really do not want to go through that kind of experience ever again. It was so bad I have not wanted to get back in that RV.

Can anyone recommend a really good Bay Area (particularly in the East Bay) shop that can make recommendations and modify my motorhome so that driving it is tolerable?
CreekBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
41pu

Try Mission Vally Ford in San Jose.
They are a Ford Truck Dealer and may work on your Motorhome.
41pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:04 AM   #3

I'm going to assume you are in Walnut Creek; I'd chat with R Mechanic in Livermore.

Despite the name, they are really an RV shop that also does chassis work. I make the trek from the South Bay out to them because they are, IMO, the best in the Bay Area.

Steve
Old 07-11-2015, 09:41 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Helpful Responses

Thanks for the helpful responses. I will check them out. As for being from Walnut Creek, that was the case though we now temporarily reside in San Ramon after selling our Walnut Creek home.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
@SteveLevin,

It looks like R-Mechanic has closed or is closing. I have an appointment with Almaden RV and hope that they can help me out. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Glenn
Old 07-14-2015, 03:03 PM   #6

Glenn

Chris at Almaden RV is about the most honest one out there. They are usually busy this time of year, but his shop does good work.

Let us know how the fixes work.

Bill
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Yes, please do keep us informed. I am in San Francisco. I have heard of a place here on this side of the bay. But, forgot location and name.
rdm1465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:45 AM   #8

This is probably too late for the OP, but I have had very good experiences with Randy's Mobile RV Repair in Concord, just north of Walnut Creek (for those not familiar with the area.)

http://www.randysmobile.com/mobile/index.html

He is very knowledgeable and is not just a mobile service, his garage is located just behind the Concord Costco off Monument Blvd. He took the time to give me advice on a handling issue on my 2010 F-53 chassis. Then a couple of months later I took the MH to him for a slide-out issue. Pretty quick turn around, too.
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #9

Creekbruin, have you had any luck fixing your MH? There are a few things that can be done for almost free. First, take your rig to a commercial scale and have it weighed (~$10) if possible weigh all 4 corners. Most dealers seem to put the maximum pressure in the tires for some reason. With the actual weight on each tire you can adjust the tire pressure to match that weight. Look up load inflation table for your tire size here:

http://toyotires.com/sites/default/f...ion_tables.pdf

Tire brand does not matter, they are based on the same spec.
This will make the MH less squirrely and ride a little smoother.

Next, search for CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) Changing the mounting hole on the sway bar, has dramatic affects on the handling of the rig. Cost? Free!!! If you have some basic tools and mechanical skills.

A steering stabilizer can have a good effect, too. And add a margin of safety in the event of a front blow-out. Cost: ~$200

Have your alignment checked, add the maximum amount of caster allowed. This will help it track better and want to stay in a straight line.

Even more expensive Bilstein or Koni aftermarket shocks. Cost: ~$750

More expensive is adding a rear track bar and aftermarket sway bar.

The previous owner of my rig went as far as replacing the front suspension with a Keldermann set up. Cost? Not sure, but several thousand at least.

The previous owner of mine did almost everything listed above, except the CHF. I did that myself and noticed about 10-15% improvement in ride quality. I adjusted the tire pressure and that helped noticeably, too. Start with those two and go from there.

Good luck! Hope this helps and is not too late.
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:59 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am in your area. I take our motor home to Sam Novick. His business is on Mayhew Way. You can drive by his shop and chat with him to see if you think he's a fit. He's serviced our coach for a few years now. If your needs are out of his scope of service, he will refer you to someone appropriate. I have yet to have an issue he could not handle proficiently and efficiently - both items inside out outside the coach.

Sam Novick
Automotive Maintenance Machine
(925) 933-5488
199 Mayhew Way, Suite TJ
Walnut Creek, CA 94597

Bob & Carolyn
2010 Coachman Mirada 34bh
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Rbeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:58 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to all who replied

I ended up taking my RV to Almaden RV. I was very happy with their work. They installed a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer and the steering is so much better. This device keeps the steering changes down to a minimum and the manufacturer claims it will help keep the rig straight in the event of a tire blow out.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you for sharing where you ended up. Good RV services are hard to find. Almaden RV seems a very promising resource for big projects that heretofore I would have looked to Camping World to perform.

Bob & Carolyn
2010 Coachman Mirada 34bh
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Rbeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Over inflated tires will cause handling problems too.

Have you weighed your RV and set the tire pressures as per the tire manufacturer's recommendations?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote