Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlucky View Post
I got the tune a couple of weeks ago. used it around Shasta/Mt Lassen and up to Bend Oregon.
I was about 95% satisfied with it.
There was more power.
The shifts were better
The grade braking on Cruise Control was OUTSTANDING!
The grade braking while not on Cruise Control was Satisfactory, but not perfect. The "Tap to Brake" function was not aggressive enough, in my opinion. It would not shift down far enough when traveling downhill, above 45 MPH.
I spoke with Five Star last week. They are very responsive to their customers. I discussed shift parameters and RPM's with the tech and he agreed that it could be more responsive. They just modified to Tap to Brake function so that it comes on better in the 45-55 mph range.
The have sent me the revised tune and I hope to load it next week. Once on board, I will post an update.
Bill

I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR FEEDBACK ON THE IMPROVED TUNE, I IMAGINE THE 2016 IS A WORK IN PROGRESS FOR THEM. I am on the fence on it and anything I can learn from those that have it will help.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 05:22 PM   #16

Update:

I got the tune emailed to me, but I could not get it to load today.

I will give it another try tomorrow and update this site.

I am trying, I'm just a little technologically challenged

Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlucky View Post
I got the tune a couple of weeks ago. used it around Shasta/Mt Lassen and up to Bend Oregon.
I was about 95% satisfied with it.
There was more power.
The shifts were better
The grade braking on Cruise Control was OUTSTANDING!
The grade braking while not on Cruise Control was Satisfactory, but not perfect. The "Tap to Brake" function was not aggressive enough, in my opinion. It would not shift down far enough when traveling downhill, above 45 MPH.
I spoke with Five Star last week. They are very responsive to their customers. I discussed shift parameters and RPM's with the tech and he agreed that it could be more responsive. They just modified to Tap to Brake function so that it comes on better in the 45-55 mph range.
The have sent me the revised tune and I hope to load it next week. Once on board, I will post an update.
Bill
I also found the tap-to-brake function when not on cruise control not nearly as responsive as I'd like. On the 5 speed the shift was always there, the 6 speed tune really needs a more positive response, the brake tap sometimes doesn't elicit a downshift initially. A harder push and an actual speed reduction is sometimes needed to get the shift to occur, was my feeling.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:13 PM   #18

I got the revised tune installed over the weekend. It still would not downshift above 45 mph, regardless of the rpm or gear.

Since it was the holiday weekend, I was unable to proceed further.

I missed the call today from 5Star. I also received and email indicating that they wanted to use a "data logger" on my unit to see what is happening.

5 Star is very responsive to this matter and I believe that it will be solved.

I will keep you posted.

Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #19

I had purchased the 5 star tune for our 2015 Thor ACE - 5 speed 18K chassis. It worked nicely and made the transmission feel much more crisp and precise and the motor felt more peppy.

I traded the 2015 for a 2016 Tiffin on the 24K chassis with a 6 speed. I asked them about updating my tune and they sent me a tune for the new 6 speed. I gave them some feedback (felt the shifts were a little late from 6 to 5 going uphill and then the down-hill downshifts in tow-haul were a little "weak" and didn't always respond to pushing the brake pedal....and they sent me an updated tune based on my feedback! GREAT customer service.

I'm heading to the dealership (120miles) tomorrow for a few minor warranty issues and to get my centramatics installed. I'll let 5-star know how the update performed.

These guys are awesome!
Old 07-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #20

Update on the Tune

I have been attempting, for the past week, to get the data logger to capture the shift info on the motor home. I finally got it and sent it to 5 Star today. Hopefully they can fine-tune it and we can all be on the road to happy motoring.

I will post as soon as I learn any additional info

Tags
chassis