Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Anyone know the wheel cut on the F-53

2011 Coachmen Encounter, Ford chassis, Trition engine, 362 HP.

Haven't been aboe to catch anyone at Coachmen to ask.

What is the turn cut on this chassis?

It does not turn sharply so I am guessing less than 55 degrees.

Thanks,

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #2

got it.

Talked to Coachmen and was referred to a "Ford Motorhome Assistance" representative.

This might be a handy number to jot down if you don't already have it:
Ford Motorhome Assistance 1-800-444-3311

A nice lady who answered asked me to wait as she checked on the wheel cut of my 2011 F-53 Ford chassis (26,000 lbs/triton engine).

“That would be 42 degrees,” she said.

That's about what I expected since I have had trouble at times turning around in what appeared to be a substantial area of asphalt.

I recall test driving a diesel pusher one day and doing a complete 180 in a street cul-de-sac. The dealer was quite proud. That must have been a 55 degree cut I’m thinking. (It was a Tiffin Allegro Bus as I recall, about 2006 vintage).

So that's what the answer; 42 degrees.

I'm not actually surprised. With the huge overhang I have (a good 15 feet or more hangs over the back side of the rear axle) the tail swing is significant, (see pic at left). At a 55 degree cut I would be swinging my tail from here to Cleveland.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll
I'm not actually surprised. With the huge overhang I have (a good 15 feet or more hangs over the back side of the rear axle) the tail swing is significant. At a 55 degree cut I would be swinging my tail from here to Cleveland.
Roll
You're kidding right? Unless I'm missing something, 55 is > 42 so you could turn exactly as you do now and have the added ability to turn earlier or later in various conditions and watch your behind. Your rear axle has not moved either which is the benchmark. This is one area where I believe less is actually less. But I could be wrong.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #4

Now I'm confused. [edit: confusion over, spec sheet clearly says the 26,000 lb chassis has 22.5 wheels and a 50 degree wheel cut, you have to scroll down as each GVWR chassis is shown with its own specs. Roll]

After posting the 42 degree comment from Ford I found a specs sheet at this address: https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/specialty_vehicles/Class_A_brochure_2011_LoRes.pdf

It says the cut on the 2011 Ford chassis is 50 degrees with the caveat that if you have the 22,000 lb chassis with 22.5 inch wheels then the cut is 42 degrees. So with my coach (26,000 lb 22.5 wheels) maybe it is 50 degrees. I don’t know if the active factor is the size of the wheels (they also use 19 inch wheels on these chassis), or is the capacity of the chassis, (seems doubtful).

To flagship:

Where moving forward the tail pivots at the rear axle of course; the harder I turn, the farther off a center line the tails swings. I've measured opposite swing by parking parallel to a straight line and then turning as hard as possible and after moving forward several feet, getting out to measure how far over the line the rear of the coach has swung, (it was 3 feet).

If I could turn even sharper (55 degrees), I have to imagine even more of the tail would swing out. Perhaps I missing something? It is at least 15 feet long behind the rear axle so if I could, as an example, turn instantly 90 degrees (not possible of course) I would be leaving 15 feet of tail over the center line. That's how I see it happening anyway. Did I make a mistake?

Roll
Old 11-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All I was suggesting is that you could do as you always do - and in circumstances where the swing wouldn't be an issue you would have some added ability to maneuver. I've seen the video, read the book, put out the cones and made actual turns in traffic so I get it. Wasn't really debating it - just pointing out that at 42 or 55, you start the turn accordingly not at the maximum you can cut the wheel. In the example you gave, absent mailboxes and street lights, with 55 you might be able to swing er around whereas you suggest you might not be able to now. Or maybe I misread and you can but the tail swing would take out the mailboxes.

As for why the 42 v 50 / chassis and tire size - I got nothin.

Still friends?

Edited previous post to reflect rear axel has NOT moved.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just thought of another real world example - Where I store mime I have to back in to a covered space with a pole on one side and whatever moves in on the other side. In front of me there are spaces that can have boats - cars - 5ers whatever in them. As soon as i can do it in my sleep - something new is sitting there in one or more of those spaces and i adapt. Depending on what is there at the time - I have to adjust. Some days it's a smooth easy turn. Some day I can pull in to the space in front of me and back almost straight in. Somedays it's a pretty tight turn or a 3 point. The more "cutting" ability I have to get er headed in and out again if needed to 3 point the better.

I don't have a good pic of the changing world that I point the windshield at to line er up but changing neighbors is interesting as is the brick wall immediately in front of me.

I actually liked the 5er better than the Dart and Jeepster

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-106695749.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	29765Click image for larger version

Name:	image-959346485.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	29766

Name:	image-3116398923.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	518.2 KB
ID:	29767

Name:	image-2741550212.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	29768

Maybe this isn't the same thing at all but I feel like 55 would be better than 42 - even if 40 was all that I could use in a traffic situation due to tail swing.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #7

With front engines, it is hard to get beyond 50 degrees because the engine is between the front wheels. With a rear engine there is no such limit, so 55 - 60 degrees is common.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill
With front engines, it is hard to get beyond 50 degrees because the engine is between the front wheels. With a rear engine there is no such limit, so 55 - 60 degrees is common.
Now that makes sense.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #9

I don't know what the degree of cut is on my 33 foot Newmar on the 20500 pound F53 chassis, but I was surprised at how tight it could turn. She can turn on a dime and give you 3 cents change. Turned around on a city street culdesac with trailer in tow and never had to stop or back up. But it was tight!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
I don't know what the degree of cut is on my 33 foot Newmar on the 20500 pound F53 chassis, but I was surprised at how tight it could turn. She can turn on a dime and give you 3 cents change. Turned around on a city street culdesac with trailer in tow and never had to stop or back up. But it was tight!
Ended up back on this chassis issue while looking at rear trackbars. Since they wanted very specific chassis information I looked a little deeper and discovered I was wrong about my chassis.

My 2011 chassis is not GVWR 26,000 pounds it is GVWR 22,000 pounds. The difference was in my overlooking the V vs. C in GVWR vs. GCWR. Anyway that changed two things. My wheel cut is not 50 but rather a disappointing 42 degrees and while Ford offers a healthy 252 inch wheelbase on the 24,000/26,000 chassis my wheelbase is only 242. On a coach nearly 38 feet long that extra 10 inches of wheelbase might have been very helpful.

Unlike the fortunate Mr. Kansas City Crude above, my turning radius is pathetic. Oh I can make a 180 but I need 6 square city blocks of parking lot to do it. LOL

The silver lining? Not much of one except perhaps having to deal with a 38 foot coach towing a 4 dr Wrangler (total about 57 feet) will probably make me a better driver Sir KC. (he said smiling but not necessarily believing what he said)

LOL

Now maybe we will hear from some 60 foot folks.

Are they any if they drive a gas chassis? Maybe not.

Roll
Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #11

Cut? Tail? Huh? I got used to what the beast needs to stay out of trouble....and thats that! Geeesh o Pete! I can't drive by math...
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote