Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dennis,

Just lube the ones you have. Ford changed from soybean oil bushings to poly bushings on the 2012 chassis. My SB bushings were poly and new (2013) but they still did not have any lube on them at all. Just to move the bushings was a chore.

The rotation (twisting) of the SB within those bushings is an integral aspect of this SWAY control system. Why make the SB work any harder than is needed to do the job of controlling the SWAY. It has to twist within those bushings so lube them but you have to use a poly lube. Some greases may attack the poly.

TeJay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 03:54 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
As of this point I don't believe there are any specific years or even a range of years that this is happening.

If you have an issue just post the year and we may see a pattern over time.

I have had both the fronts and rears off at the same time. My rear brackets are probably 1/2" narrower than the fronts. Both are held in place with the same sized bolts but the rear have the nut welded onto the bracket. I don't know if these differences matter but there are differences and so far the rear bracket bolts are coming loose.

I've stiffened my front brackets by welding gussets to them. I'm still trying to have some new heavier ones made for the rear. No progress on that for now. I'll just hope the Lock Tight does the job.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
As of this point I don't believe there are any specific years or even a range of years that this is happening.

If you have an issue just post the year and we may see a pattern over time.

I have had both the fronts and rears off at the same time. My rear brackets are probably 1/2" narrower than the fronts. Both are held in place with the same sized bolts but the rear have the nut welded onto the bracket. I don't know if these differences matter but there are differences and so far the rear bracket bolts are coming loose.

I've stiffened my front brackets by welding gussets to them. I'm still trying to have some new heavier ones made for the rear. No progress on that for now. I'll just hope the Lock Tight does the job.
On mine one rear nut that is spot welded came loose when I completely removed the bolt. When I heard it drop it was one of those "oh no" (insert your own words) moments. Getting it back on was not the most fun I have ever had. BTW, it was the afore mentioned bolt that had threads showing.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Could it be that this is more of a problem with newer F53's? We checked mine yesterday, and all bushings were solidly fastened. Nevertheless, my son plans to add blue Loctight to every bolt down there.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Phil from post #7 had a loose bracket on his 2006. At this time there seems to be no specific or even general time frame.

This is just MHO. I don't really care the year of the coach. If I'm driving one that is a 2011 or older I would replace the bushings with POLY and add some POLY lube as well. Then I'd lock tight all installed bolts.

We got our new coach in 2014. I contacted Skuterdude to order some poly bushings and was told that Ford started using poly on the 2012 units. I was going to upgrade but didn't have to. Great.

Why would I replace bushings that are not worn??? Simple!! The SWAY control is very necessary to maintain pleasant driving and good control from dips, bumps and winds. Why not have the absolute best bushing material (polyurethane) that is available???

The bushings that holds the SB in place as it goes through all its twisting as we travel is very, very necessary and crucial. Think about what it takes to control your 18,000 lb (or larger) coach as you undulate over our wonderful roads. All that sway and movement in all directions needs to be controlled. I want the best bushings I can get to do the job. For about $80 front and rear I can have the best and they will come with the proper lubricant.

TeJay
Old 08-25-2016, 06:13 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Where can I order the poly bushings?
Old 08-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Try
Skuterdude on ebay
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can also just google his handle at the top of the forum page and contact him that way.

TeJay
Old 08-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I will check mine this weekend.

Thanks Tejay
Old 08-25-2016, 10:39 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From what I have seen and read the problem is with the newer chassis. I don't know when Ford changed from the thick steel retainer to the thin stamped steel strap retainer. It seems the problem started with that change.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:58 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
chboone,

You may be correct on the bracket change. We had a 1999 chassis and since that was close to the first I'm sure it had the bigger rear set of brackets. I don't know when Ford went to the cheaper skimpy designed one but that may be a factor.

The rear is handling more weight and therefore those rear brackets are being stressed more than the fronts which are at least wider.

Why did Ford re-design the rear bracket making it narrower while the front is handling less weight but it's wider??

Things like this do sometimes happen when somebody try's to save a buck.

TeJay
Old 08-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #26

Dumb question, is sway bar and stabilizer bar same thing ? I don't have anything connected to my differential.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Phil from post #7 had a loose bracket on his 2006. At this time there seems to be no specific or even general time frame.

This is just MHO. I don't really care the year of the coach. If I'm driving one that is a 2011 or older I would replace the bushings with POLY and add some POLY lube as well. Then I'd lock tight all installed bolts.

TeJay
Interesting that all the F53s are classed together, when there was a distinct difference between pre 98 and post 98. 88-97 F 53s with 460/E40D, were made in Mexico. 99 and later were made in USA with V10/4R100,5R110, etc.
Both with with their own set of problems and failures. Very little failure of rear sway bar bolts on the older chassis. Where as the newer chassis has many reports of bolt failure. All F53s are not the same.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
kevin1959,

Short answer is, YES. There are several names for the same part. They are called Anti-sway bars but often that is shortened to sway bar. Which is not correct since it is not a bar designed to create sway but to eliminate it. Most manufacturers call them Stabilizer Bars and we shorten that to SB.

If you have a WBGO Adventure on an F-53 Ford gas chassis then your chassis is heavier but it will have attachments to the differential similar to what I'm posting. I don't have a great picture of the DF but this is close.

The SB is attached to the DF as shown. In my case the SB goes over the top of the DF. Some go below but essentially they do the same job.

TeJay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	143.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	137203   Click image for larger version

Name:	139.JPG
Views:	598
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	137204  

Tags