RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #351

I checked the rear stabilizer on my 2011 coach before our summer trip and the bolts were tight. Milage on the coach was 17,300. After logging about 8,000 miles this summer, I was doing a routine check and found that the lower driver's side bolt on the rear bar was missing and that the bracket was slightly bent. I straightened the bracket in the bench vice and was able to buy new flanged bolts (M12 X 1.75 X 35) and flanged nuts through McMaster Carr. (No-one had them locally) Bolts are now replaced, lock-tited, and torqued to 66 ft/lb.
So I would urge everyone to not take chances, pull the bolts, lock-tite them and retorque even if they seem fine.

Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #352

Ford Super Duty Owner
Teamfoxy,

Thanks for taking the time to post your story!! Excellent point for sure. The rear SB (Stabilizer Bar) brackets need to have the lock tight applied. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to when they will come loose but many of them do.

One other point FYI. Ford decided to use polyurethane bushings starting on the 2012 chassis. It would be a good idea to change yours when ever you have the time. Google the username "Skuterdude" on the google search box at the top of the thread. He sells a quality poly replacement for the F-53. They are reasonably priced and better than what Ford is using.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #353

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2006 Holiday Rambler F53 gasser. Went to do rear CHF (did front first) and found NO bushings. Completely obliterated. Replaced with polyurethane (from Skuterdude) and all is well.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:29 PM   #354

Ford Super Duty Owner
JimmyB2,

Thanks for the post. You replaced the FRONT SB bushings but did you replace the rears?Just thought I'd warn you!!! They are of the Soy bean oil vintage (not polyurethane) so I'd recommend you replace the rers as well. They too will vanish after about 8-10 years of use and I'm surprised they have lasted this long. I'll bet they are very soft or maybe they have been replaced by the PO.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:30 AM   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Teamfoxy,

Thanks for taking the time to post your story!! Excellent point for sure. The rear SB (Stabilizer Bar) brackets need to have the lock tight applied. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to when they will come loose but many of them do.

One other point FYI. Ford decided to use polyurethane bushings starting on the 2012 chassis. It would be a good idea to change yours when ever you have the time. Google the username "Skuterdude" on the google search box at the top of the thread. He sells a quality poly replacement for the F-53. They are reasonably priced and better than what Ford is using.
The bushings that were there were still in perfect condition and seemed solid. Perhaps others were torn up when the brackets came off? I am guessing that my bolt was not missing very long since the bracket was only slightly bent. I didn't notice any increase in sway, but did notice a clunking sound on the last two days of our trip. (Maybe 400 miles tops)
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #356

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure why everyone is having problems with the bushings and bolts. We bought our rig when it was 6 years old in 2008 and had 35,000 miles. Did the CHF both axles in 2013, it had blue poly bushings at that time, they were in good shape and still are at 86,000 miles. Never had a bolt loosen up. I just added adjustable links in the front (post 5766 CHF thread). They, along with greasing the sway bar bushings in front, solved the clunking I got when going over uneven terrain.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:07 PM   #357

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ole,

Chances are real good the previous owner replaced the SB bushings with poly. They did not come out with blue but soybean oil based bushings. They lasted maybe 6 to 10 years. Why did the PO go to a poly bushing who knows. Maybe his failed early and he replaced them. When he did maybe he just added some blue lock tight so the bolts wouldn't come loose. Some DIY owners do that so they won't have issues.

I know when we bought out 2014 on a 2013 chassis I called Skuterdude and he told me Ford switched to poly on the 2012 chassis. I was ready to buy his bushings because I didn't want any issues down the road.

If the PO didn't use any lock tight then you have been one who has not had any issues. That's great. Consider yourself lucky. It's not a real big deal and not to expensive if it does happen.

Have you checked the current torque on the rear SB bracket bolts? Are they at 66 ft/lbs? I had a friend who tightened his rear SB bracket bolts before he departed for his summer CG from FL to OH. He returned to FL in the Fall and checked his bolts and they were loose. He finally added the blue LT and no issues.

Nobody is sure why it is happening but it is on new and older units but only on the rear SB brackets. My guess is this. The front brackets are 2-1/2" wide and the rear are about 1-1/4" wide. The rear SB is slightly smaller also. Maybe those differences are allowing the bolts to loosen.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #358

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
thx for tip on bolts. When i put new shocks on, the drivers side tag axle upper bolt wandered away. So it's not just the bolts for bushings...I've since adjusted all the suspension bolts i could adding loctite, which wasn't there btw... they made it 22yrs but all the original rubber bushings may as well have not been there.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #359

I'm contemplating performing the rear CHF, and while inspecting things, I noticed a tear in the passenger side SB bushing similar to TeJay's picture in post #276. After reading quite a few posts in this thread, I have a few questions.

1. Would someone confirm that Skuterdude is the one to contact for replacement bushings, front and rear for a 2012 chasis? I didn't see them on his eBay listings--only ones for older chasis.

2. Do his bushings have a split or must they be slid on from the end of the SB?

3. Are the rear SB bracket nuts welded on? If they're not, I don't see how I could get any kind of a wrench to them, so I hope the answer is yes!

When I removed and lubed my front bushings a few weeks ago, the bracket nuts were not welded on, though I think I remember TeJay saying they would be. Fortunately, I was able (with difficulty) to get a wrench onto them. Possibly related is that the bushings had a split in the rear "base" to get them onto the SB without sliding from the ends, and again, I believe I just read on this thread that the original Ford bushings don't have a split.

So, I guess my last question is whether what I have in the front came from the factory or is the facts that my nuts weren't welded and the bushings had splits a sure sign that the original owner had some work done?

Thanks,
MathComp
Old 09-01-2019, 04:51 PM   #360

Ford Super Duty Owner
Paul,

According to Skuterdude your stock bushings should be polyurethane. That chassis was the first year for poly. However!! Since it was a change maybe they used the older bushings until they ran out then switched to poly. Why would they throw out bushings just because they were not the new ones??

Maybe the change was mid model year and you got the old ones? Ya just never know.

The "Dude" may not list them because they won't sell as many since they are stock poly. That said as you mentioned I had a 2013 bushing on the rear that was torn. His replacement bushings are heads above better that the stock Ford. If you can't determine if he sells one for the 2012 chassis give him a call. I have his number if you don't. Maybe you can access it through his e-bay sight.

Typically Ford does not split the bushings. I guess since they probably slide them on before the install they don't need to. All of his are split and I believe that's the case for most or all aftermarket ones. Why make it harder that it already is?? If a bushing is not split just split it yourself along the flat back side.

I thought the rear nuts were welded on and the fronts were not. I did sleep since the last time I removed them. You'll know when you try to turn them. They will spin and not come off or spin and the bolt will come off.

If it was mine I just replace both sets and be done with it. You'll know you have better bushings they are properly lubed and installed correctly.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:02 AM   #361

TeJay,

Thanks! I PMed him, and he's going to call me later this morning.

MathComp
Old 09-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #362

I see you all are talking CHF on the rear..I am not familiar with CHF for rear..I just purchased a 2019 Newmar Baystar on the 24000 lb chassis. I need guidance on how to do this. Thanks.
Texan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan10 View Post
I see you all are talking CHF on the rear..I am not familiar with CHF for rear..I just purchased a 2019 Newmar Baystar on the 24000 lb chassis. I need guidance on how to do this. Thanks.
Never mind..I just remembered how it is done!#Senior moment.
Texan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #364

Add me to the list of missing bolts on the rear SB. 2015 F 53 18K chassis.

Tags
ford