Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #1

Banks on Ford V8?

Can anyone tell me what they think of a full Banks System on a Ford V8 in a Newmar MH. Does it really increase the power and torque to help you get up hills. Is it worth 3K to have it. Thks
divingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your post was buried in a Thread about the Ford V10...so it has been moved to it's own new thread.

Thanks for contributing
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
The Banks setup - to me - is just too much money. I did install a good set of exhaust headers and that makes the engine run a little better on the hills. But no more mpg. That's all done with the right foot :-)
Old 06-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #4

Banks was well worth the cost to me when I added it to a '97 460 motor, but I don't think it does that much for the newer motors.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:07 PM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by olfart View Post
The Banks setup - to me - is just too much money. I did install a good set of exhaust headers and that makes the engine run a little better on the hills. But no more mpg. That's all done with the right foot :-)
Did you go duals, or do you have both headers tied into a single exhaust?
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:23 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I only run a single 3 inch exhaust from the headers - thru a 70 series flow master mufflers. Has a fair bark to it. It's not a race car. So I don't go over 3500 rpm and didn't want the cost of duals.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:34 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our 1993 Kountry Star had the banks systems on it, it was 454 from GM. Amazing performance gain. Our Bounder did not have the banks on it, it was like night and day, especially towing and taking the hills. I would pony up the cash for the Banks.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I install the complete banks system on my 1995 Kountry Aire. All I can say about Banks is WOW! HP increased was amazing and torque increase was Awesome! Worth the 2100.00.
I also installed the recommended transmission (Transcommand) I highly recommend it. With the added HP the transcommand takes the strain away from transmission. I love the way the Engine and transmission performs. I highly recommend it. Its amazing what giving the engine more air and the ability to get rid of it will do for it.
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:51 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Banks installed on my '97 460. It did improve my ability to climb grades and accelerate. I went with the single large exhaust. The change to the air intake and headers are what really make it all work so well. In exceptionally steep upgrades I still move with the semis, but The performance on normal grades and flat land is impressive. I've actually gotten over 9mpg after having the banks installed. The 460 will never be a gas miser, but the Banks Power Pack does all it can to improve your mileage. Is it worth the money? That for you to decide. I'd do it again. When this engine gives up the ghost I'd really like to install a high performance 460 with the Banks system. There are a lot of options available for the Ford 460. It was their best big block and one the best big blocks overall ever built. JMHO
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #10

I fulltimed for 5 years in a 97 Itasca Suncruiser 38' with the 460 v-8. I really enjoyed the extra power from the full Banks system with trans command. Increased economy did result, but not enough to warrant the change.

As mentioned before, the factory set up is restrictive to the large displacement 8 cylinder 460 Ford. The Banks plumbing helps get air into and out of the engine. Banks claims gains up to 85 hp. and 118 ft lbs of torque. That can significantly increase your power to weight ratio.

Banks Power | 93-98 Ford - 7.5L Class-A>>PowerPack® System

The OP asked if the Banks system is worth the money. I would suggest that is a personal decision for an individual. Each has different financial situations and priorities.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
As mentioned before, the factory set up is restrictive to the large displacement 8 cylinder 460 Ford. The Banks plumbing helps get air into and out of the engine. Banks claims gains up to 85 hp. and 118 ft lbs of torque. That can significantly increase your power to weight ratio.

The OP asked if the Banks system is worth the money. I would suggest that is a personal decision for an individual. Each has different financial situations and priorities.
I agree with this poster on all counts, but I feel the part I highlighted in red deserves some more explanation. These power and torque gains are enormous; could they possibly be true?

I looked more closely. I would have expected that the gains would be the result of a comparison between peak power before and after and between peak torque before and after.

That's not what Banks does. The nature of a more free flowing exhaust system is to be less restrictive, and the higher the rpms rise, the more that lack of restriction is felt. So the rpms at which peak power and torque happen are higher. So at the rpms at which a banks equipped engine is making best powwer or best torque, the standard engine has had a reduction in power or torque from its maximum. That means that if we measure power or torque increase at these higher rpms, we'll see a bigger difference.

And that's what Banks does in their advertising. It's not what I expected, but that doesn't make it wrong. I think they do good enough engineering that they don't need this level of marketing, but that's just me.

Do their products make more power or torque than the other exhaust systems out there if we measure them in the same way? I don't know, but that would be the way to fairly compare them.

In my opinion they're good, but not enough better than the Gibson system I bought to justify the extra cost. And some of the other manufacturers seem to be phasing out their 460 systems, so there will be less choice in the future.

I'm not sure I'm such a fan of their Transcommand product. Their explanation of the problem they are trying to solve is spot-on, but I think it can be better solved with a mild "shift kit" to hydraulically speed up the shifts.
mpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #12

There's more to the Banks system than torque, HP & fuel mileage.
The banks system is 308 stainless steel. Won't rot out.
No gaskets are used on the header flange or "Y" pipe connections. So no gaskets to fail
It is the most complete, perfecting fitting kit I have ever installed on any thing.
All necessary heat shields are provided. With out the heat shields the shift cable and emergency brake cable will over heat and fail. Starter heat shield is also provided.
No drilling, filing, banging or bending to make the parts fit. It all works.
I installed my 460 banks kit 11 years ago and have not had to touch it since.
The trans commander does skew the line pressure curve to increase shift firmness.
The line pressure curve can also be skewed with a voltage divider built from two 10W 5 ohm resistors.
I would do it again in a heart beat.

Richard
95 Bounder
F53
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote