Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Banks Power on Ford's V10, 3 valve

In process of ordering a new 2011 39-0 with Fords 26K chassis.
They state it is tow rated for 4K, but 24K chassis is rated for 6K, go figure.
They say you can never have to much power, so to question;
has anyone installed a Banks system on the Ford V10 with 3 valves? Which system and what improvement was the gain; MPG, low end power, or anything noticed? They allways advertise more HP and torque to sell a product, but I perfer to here it from someone that has it installed and can verify the differance. Lastly was the cost worth it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #2

I saw in another string that on a 2011 you don't get much "bang for your banks" because of the improvements Ford made. Having the engine chipped seems to get better results. I have a 2011 and had the engine chipped by Brazel's and am very pleased with the increase in torque (45-55 at the rear wheels) and improved shifting. Gas mileage change was negligible and I am fine with that.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #3

I have a 2006 Pace Arrow 37C V10 with Banks cold air intake and exhaust. I also reprogramed the computer. I pull a 2009 Camery Hybrid on a Roadmaster tow dolly. I noticed a difference in torque. I am getting 10.8 mpg driving between CA and FL at average speed of 65 at gross weight. I'm happy!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I posted this in the WH forum the other day, it applies here also:

"Fuel mileage is what it is. Just remember this simple fact, some are better exaggerators than others. The four most common subjects that men fail to tell the truth about are MPG, the size of the fish they caught and their golf handicaps. The fourth in the list can't mention here on a family forum."

Old 02-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #5

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was reading through it and thought that I might offer my experiences with my truck a 1997 Dodge 2500 diesel. Now I can't speak of how the Banks kits work on Fords but I did have one installed on my Dodge. I purchased the Banks Power Pack kit for my truck which advertised +127hp and 311ft/lbs torque, which I can't really tell you exactly what it did for my truck as the original dyno run was saved on a computer that was later having issues, but when I did the after dyno run it was less than impressive for the $2800 or so that I paid for the kit. With that being said I did notice some extra performance and no real significant mileage gains. So my experience with Banks is not favorable at all. I do like the way the intake air ram is engineered compared to say BD or others out there but really that's the only thing I kept and it ain't worth $2800.
Just thought this may help you some what. I agree with the other posters that you are better of chipping your rig for the $$$ per HP and Mileage gains. Also you may want to consider getting an aftermarket high airflow air cleaning system, these really do allow the engine to breathe in the air volume it requires.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

SlocanPaul,

Did you have the Fuel Calibration Plate installed too? That is what makes all the difference in power on a mechanical 5.9L, it's basically the same as "chipping" the newer engines. My father has a 97 Dodge 2500 4x4, same as yours, and when he added the Banks PowerPack including fuel calibration plate it made a HUGE difference in power!
JonBrazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok so the question was about V-10 3 valve gas engines. I would like to hear about anyones experience also.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #8

Having gone recently from a 97 to an 06, I would think Banks would be a waste of time. I was interested in the headers only though as I read of manifold stud issues. I was led to believe that too was not really a concern as the 06 V-10 has a multi-piece manifold which is kind of similar to headers.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine has plenty of power. Most people say there is no gain in mpg and really that's the only drawback on my MH. Then agin anything to increase mpg would have to have a quick payback to make it worth the price.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
SlocanPaul,

Did you have the Fuel Calibration Plate installed too? That is what makes all the difference in power on a mechanical 5.9L, it's basically the same as "chipping" the newer engines. My father has a 97 Dodge 2500 4x4, same as yours, and when he added the Banks PowerPack including fuel calibration plate it made a HUGE difference in power!
Yes I had that done right from the get go with the Banks system. I was not really at all happy with the money I spent as I thought I would get more performance. When I hooked on my 5er it was less than impressive. Maybe the outfit that put it did not set it up correct, I don't really know but I certainly did not have the power gains that were expected by me or the outfit that did the work.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Theres large gains in a 3v V10 and its mainly in the the Drive by Wire system that Ford uses to determine and calculate engine demand via throttle position and applied wheel torque. Save the money on the banks and do a reflash on the pcm to bring out the best in the 3v V10.

Mike
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
Theres large gains in a 3v V10 and its mainly in the the Drive by Wire system that Ford uses to determine and calculate engine demand via throttle position and applied wheel torque. Save the money on the banks and do a reflash on the pcm to bring out the best in the 3v V10.

Mike
What is a reflash on the pcm?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Some systems like Banks use modules that go inline of the harness, which sometimes give trouble due to vibration& heat. The X3 that 5 star uses reflashes the computers memory with it's programming. Reflashing is normally is more thorough in tuning.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:47 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just came across a 2011 FORD F53 SPEC SITE that indicates that the V10 3 Valve for 2011 in the F53 motorhome chassis (stripped) has a different rating than their brochure does.
"site" 6.8L engine @ 305 HP & 420 ft lbs, while "brochure" 6.8L engine @ 365 HP & 457 ft lbs.
OK, we are talking here about two rates too start with, so are any real improvements possible, or is 365-305=60 HP increase there already in a printing by Ford?