Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Banks Power Pack

I have a 1994 Newmar Kountry Aire with a Ford F53 chassis powered by a 460 V8.
I did a lot of research on all the exhaust system available on the market and was impressed with the Banks system with Torque Tubes. I also purchased the Transcommand for the transmission. I am in the finally stage of installing both systems. If you have installed the system(s) on your MH, can you share your stories with these upgrades, and the before and after performance experiences.
I also was wondering about the large pipes and flow though mufflers, about having very little or no back pressure. Has any one had a problem with back fire on deceleration and if so did you do anything about backfire
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #2

Can't help you with info on that specific Banks package. But I will share that the owner we bought our previous coach (Bounder T28, 1998 on a 1999 F53 V10 Chassis) had the full Banks treatment installed. Really helped the breathing of the somewhat strangled 2 Valve 275HP V10's. We had no power problems whatsoever with the Banks on. The Transcommand helps with a bit crisper shifting, which lowers heat, which lowers wear on the transmission. Even so, the weak link of he F53 drivetrain (I believe for your year also.) were the Torque Converter on the automatics. Once they go, replace them with a good aftermarket or Ford Heavy Duty Torque Converter and you're good to go for the long distance of years and miles ahead. I'm also a fan of changing over to Transyn, and paying the extra to have them pump the torque converter out too.

We had a friend with a 97 Rexhall with the F53 and 460 combo. He had put on Doug Thorley headers, and the Banks Transcommand. Had lots of power, but was always seeming to hunt back and forth between 3rd and 2nd on long grades. He bought a used Gear Vendors, and found that by splitting the gears as the he climbed the hill, it took much longer for it to drop down out of 3rd gear. He found the Gear Vendor split between 2nd and 3rd was able to be held and the trans very seldom dropped all the way to 2nd.

Might look for a used GV deal too, as it would complement the Banks.

Best of luck, and have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had one installed on a '98 35' Santara. Made a big difference in cruising but no real effect on mileage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #4

I have 95 F53/460 that I installed Banks Power Pack on in 2003. The performance improvements are impressive.
No back firing in the exhaust under deceleration unless I turn off the Idle Air Control for better engine braking. It WILL get your attention when it goes boom!

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Can't help you with info on that specific Banks package. But I will share that the owner we bought our previous coach (Bounder T28, 1998 on a 1999 F53 V10 Chassis) had the full Banks treatment installed. Really helped the breathing of the somewhat strangled 2 Valve 275HP V10's. We had no power problems whatsoever with the Banks on. The Transcommand helps with a bit crisper shifting, which lowers heat, which lowers wear on the transmission. Even so, the weak link of he F53 drivetrain (I believe for your year also.) were the Torque Converter on the automatics. Once they go, replace them with a good aftermarket or Ford Heavy Duty Torque Converter and you're good to go for the long distance of years and miles ahead. I'm also a fan of changing over to Transyn, and paying the extra to have them pump the torque converter out too.

We had a friend with a 97 Rexhall with the F53 and 460 combo. He had put on Doug Thorley headers, and the Banks Transcommand. Had lots of power, but was always seeming to hunt back and forth between 3rd and 2nd on long grades. He bought a used Gear Vendors, and found that by splitting the gears as the he climbed the hill, it took much longer for it to drop down out of 3rd gear. He found the Gear Vendor split between 2nd and 3rd was able to be held and the trans very seldom dropped all the way to 2nd.

Might look for a used GV deal too, as it would complement the Banks.

Best of luck, and have fun,
Smitty
What's a GV?
Old 10-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
What's a GV?

! Gear Vendors. It effectively allows a 'split gear' between 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

https://www.gearvendors.com/

Really a nice product for 3 and 4 spd automatics, not so much with 5 and 6 speeds...

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
! Gear Vendors. It effectively allows a 'split gear' between 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

https://www.gearvendors.com/

Really a nice product for 3 and 4 spd automatics, not so much with 5 and 6 speeds...

Best,
Smitty
We put one in a '88 Okanagan 17' MH. It had the 460 and trailer towing package and only weighed 8,800#'s. Never got much over 9 mpg but the lower rpm at cruise made it much nicer to drive at highway speeds.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:19 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS7201 View Post
I have 95 F53/460 that I installed Banks Power Pack on in 2003. The performance improvements are impressive.
No back firing in the exhaust under deceleration unless I turn off the Idle Air Control for better engine braking. It WILL get your attention when it goes boom!

Richard
When you say that you turn off the idle air control for better braking, how do you turn off the air control?
Old 10-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We put one in a '88 Okanagan 17' MH. It had the 460 and trailer towing package and only weighed 8,800#'s. Never got much over 9 mpg but the lower rpm at cruise made it much nicer to drive at highway speeds.

Lowering the highway RPMs does not increase the fuel mileage?

🚌🚍🚌
1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.
2007 Chevy Uplander TOAD.
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
When you say that you turn off the idle air control for better braking, how do you turn off the air control?
I cut into one of the wires going to the IAC and then run a pair of wires to a switch on the dash. When descending a step grade, it sometimes allows me to stay in 3rd rather than selecting 2nd.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #11

Earlier this year I added the full Banks kit (cold air intake/filter, headers, exhaust) and Transcommander to my 97' MH with the 460. The Banks product is very high quality and fit perfectly. It was good I changed this because the stock exhaust manifolds had several big cracks on the inside that would have potentially melted the plug wires if they cracked all the way through. As for the Banks and Transcommander, it greatly improved the power of the 460. On some hills that I had to run in 3rd, the MH now can take in 4th. Plus, the MH has alot more power off the line and when pulling my Jeep. As for gas mileage, I haven't really seen any improvement. But, I also didn't see a drop and for me, the extra power the kit provides is well worth it.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Transcommand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor3650 View Post
Earlier this year I added the full Banks kit (cold air intake/filter, headers, exhaust) and Transcommander to my 97' MH with the 460. The Banks product is very high quality and fit perfectly. It was good I changed this because the stock exhaust manifolds had several big cracks on the inside that would have potentially melted the plug wires if they cracked all the way through. As for the Banks and Transcommander, it greatly improved the power of the 460. On some hills that I had to run in 3rd, the MH now can take in 4th. Plus, the MH has alot more power off the line and when pulling my Jeep. As for gas mileage, I haven't really seen any improvement. But, I also didn't see a drop and for me, the extra power the kit provides is well worth it.
Did the Transcommand make for a improvement?
Old 10-29-2014, 10:31 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought a 2003 Flair, with a F53 chassis, and V-10. I was not at all impressed with the performance. I am a long time drag racer, but can keep things separate. But this was unacceptable.

I went on the hunt for the kit I needed, and found it for $1800 (about) delivered. I installed it on 2 different weekends. I kept reading about a "chip", so I called Banks. They wanted a copy of my invoice, and my VIN. I faxed it to them, and got the ECU chip from FedEx in a few days.

The next morning, we went to the Sand Sport Super Show in Costa Mesa, CA, from Tucson. It pulled much better, and didn't seem to downshift quite so easy, due to the increase in power. I was very happy with every single penny I had to spend to get it.

As far as mileage, I could tell ya. I didn't check before and don't check now. I know it's not going to be 20MPG, so I don't really care , I can't do anything about it, so I live with it.

If you haven't done it, the best thing I could say is, I'd do it again, 3 times knowing what I know now.

Tank
BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #14

I installed the complete Banks system and the trans commander on my 98 Itasca with the 460 two years ago. It has much more power, engine runs cooler and the transmission shifts firmer. My transmission temps dropped also. No mileage improvement but was well worth the money for the power alone. I always run at or above my max GVW and pull a Honda CRV.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power